Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Is clearance an issue with SV-291?

Hi.

I am going back and forth between a North Trail 28BHS and a Surveyor SV-291. I think things are pretty even-Steven between the two....but I noticed a few people complaining about the SV-291 road clearance.

Is this an issue? I camp at a couple of spots where the driveways slope slightly. A TT with lower than average clearance might have trouble navigating.

Thoughts?
__________________

pbohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bama PrimeTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
Posts: 300
Welcome to the Forum Pb.
We have had our SV291 for a little over 2 years now and I think I've had a problem of it dragging the "Skid bars" 3 times. That was all at the drive to the home where we keep it stored and after a rain washed part od the drive out. I like the low stance my Surveyor has and I feel that helps when towing down the road @65 mph.
I've never experienced drag on sloped drives unless it arches back up very quick,in that case I don't think any ground clearence on a 53' truck/trailer combo will make a difference. On steep drives remove the WDH bars if possible before entering the drive.
__________________

__________________
John
Ted
Bama PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,012
I agree with BamaSurveyor. One of the big reasons we went with a Surveyor is the low stance, lower center of gravity, more stable tow, less wind resistance. We consistently average 10 to 11 mpg on extended trips when many others are getting 9 for comparable sized trailers and TVs. We only hit 9 mpg in the worst of headwinds.
__________________
https://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2018 F250 Lariat 6.2 4X4 w 4.30s, 2018 Wildcat 29RLX
2012 BMW G650GS, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
cat1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chelsea, Alabama
Posts: 328
If the road clearance is a problem, check with Forest River they make lift kits for a lot of they low profile models.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Wow. It is considerably lower...

The north trail is 9 feet, 10 inches high. The Surveyor is 8 feet, 8 inches high. Given that both trailers are 78 inches indoor height - I guess that means the North Trail is 14 inches higher off the ground?

Should I be worried about this? (ps - I worry about everything)
pbohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bama PrimeTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
Posts: 300
Not something I've worried a lot about. I slow down at RR crossings and speed bumps. But I did that with our last camper also.
__________________
John
Ted
Bama PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasurveyor View Post
Welcome to the Forum Pb.
We have had our SV291 for a little over 2 years now and I think I've had a problem of it dragging the "Skid bars" 3 times. That was all at the drive to the home where we keep it stored and after a rain washed part od the drive out. I like the low stance my Surveyor has and I feel that helps when towing down the road @65 mph.
I've never experienced drag on sloped drives unless it arches back up very quick,in that case I don't think any ground clearence on a 53' truck/trailer combo will make a difference. On steep drives remove the WDH bars if possible before entering the drive.

Not to pile on Pb, just have the same question also.
bama...would the skid bars wear down if dragged enough times? Can you recommend a hitch that would be more convenient to remove the sway bars for navagating a quick arch? We are looking at a surveyor also and our primary camping area (in the great state of Bama) has a very steep quick arch just before the campsite. Also, we were definately hoping the axle riser kit would help and though of possibly adding larger wheels to help..if that is available with a surveyor. Thanks in advance!
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbohart View Post
Wow. It is considerably lower...

The north trail is 9 feet, 10 inches high. The Surveyor is 8 feet, 8 inches high. Given that both trailers are 78 inches indoor height - I guess that means the North Trail is 14 inches higher off the ground?

Should I be worried about this? (ps - I worry about everything)

pb- I believe the surveyor does not come standard w/ AC...this could be the difference between the height of those two TT's.
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
acadianbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,012
No, the Surveyors are a good 12" lower than most trailer at the roofline. Ours is 8' 6" . . . Plus the height of the air conditioner.

I've seen wheels that mount on the skid bars. Would only be good on hard surfaces though; not dirt . .
__________________
https://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/acadianbob/IMG_2757.jpg
2018 F250 Lariat 6.2 4X4 w 4.30s, 2018 Wildcat 29RLX
2012 BMW G650GS, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
No, the Surveyors are a good 12" lower than most trailer at the roofline. Ours is 8' 6" . . . Plus the height of the air conditioner.

I've seen wheels that mount on the skid bars. Would only be good on hard surfaces though; not dirt . .

wheels on the skid bars, now theres a thought. I'll have to investigate that for sure. I would just like to avoid grinding the skid bars everytime if possible. Thanks for the insight..
__________________

loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
surveyor

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.