Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

Issues with TV reception in Surveyor 226

Hi,
First post here, so go easy on me….

My wife and I bought our first camper last August, a new Surveyor SC226. We have really been enjoying it and wish we would have done it years ago. One issue we do have though is the quality of the TV reception. Even in our driveway(suburb of major metro area) we can only get a few channels and have lots of tiling, pixellating, screen freezes, etc. In the more remote areas where we generally camp, we often can't get any reception at all. We often camp with friends at the same place, and they do not have these issues and get much better reception.

The thing that stands out to me is that the antenna on our unit is permanently fixed to the roof and does not move at all. Our friends campers all have antennas that can be cranked up and then adjusted for direction to get the best reception. From my limited knowledge of over-the-air tv signals, I know that the are very directionally sensitive, so it seems logical to me that ours wouldn't work very well.

We brought the camper back to the dealer last fall to have it winterized and get a few minor warranty repairs done. I had them look at the antenna issue and they said that it was working normally, which was kind of what I was expecting to hear.

Is anyone else having this problem with this model, and does anyone know of any way to improve it? Is it just a bad design? I'd be open to aftermarket suggestions also, if they don't require too major of installation work.

Aside from that, we really love the camper!

Thanks,
Erik
Erud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
See if this solves your problem.
http://www.campingworld.com/includes...2011-11-10.pdfs

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Hi,
Thanks, but I get a "page can't be found" error on the Camping World webpage when I click the link. Maybe if you can give me the product name I can search for it there?

Thanks,
Erik
Old 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Try campingworld.com then search for Jack Digital HDTV Antenna System - White. On that page you will find a link to the manual under Technical Specs. Click. Read "Operation"

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #5

My guess its a directional issue. Not being able to rotate your model of antenna, to align the digital signal, might be the reason. I say that because our reception pixelates, or freezes until you dial the signal strength better by rotation. I'm surprised your dealer told you it was fine. Imagine that!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
Webfoot

Our antenna is the same type and there is a "power booster" that you can turn on that is located on the cable jack in the cabinet under the TV. You kind of have to get down on the floor and look up at the cable jack to see a tiny button that when you press will turn on a green LED light. If you haven't pressed that button it may help with the signal.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips, folks. The Jack antenna looks like it would most likely solve my problem, but frankly the idea of drilling holes in the curved roof scares the crap out of me. Maybe it's something that Camping World or the dealer can install for me to avoid possible warranty issues.

I did not know about the "power booster"! I just looked in my camper in the driveway and it looks like it was already turned on though, so no luck there…

Thanks,
Erik
Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #8

hidee ho

We have the same issues, same antenna, in our Surveyor 220. It gets lousy reception as well but tolerable with the booster switch on (ours turns red when on). I am saving up to have our local shop put in a better antenna, but it's not a big deal right now as we rarely boondock so most of the campgrounds we stay at have cable. By the way, don't use the boost switch when on cable.
Good luck!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #9

I have the exact same issue with my antenna. I replaced the connector behind the face plate in the bedroom and now I can get reception at home and a little better at some camp sites. It's still much to be desired. We just don't watch TV too much and bring a bunch of movies for "wind down" time at night. When I inspected the connector in the bedroom, I could spin the coax inside the connector. I know it wasn't a quality connector. When I pull the connector out behind the one in the living area, it wasn't long enough for me to replace so I just stuffed it back up there.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I have the exact same issue with my antenna. I replaced the connector behind the face plate in the bedroom and now I can get reception at home and a little better at some camp sites. It's still much to be desired. We just don't watch TV too much and bring a bunch of movies for "wind down" time at night. When I inspected the connector in the bedroom, I could spin the coax inside the connector. I know it wasn't a quality connector. When I pull the connector out behind the one in the living area, it wasn't long enough for me to replace so I just stuffed it back up there.
This!!

I found all of the connectors in my Prime Time unit were all hex crimp (very old style) and I replaced them with compression connectors and it works much better now.

While I do not have your antenna it would still prove to be a good step to look into the connectors used in your camper.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #11

Don't understand why they went to that P.O.S. antenna. Digital is either on or off, it seems. I would save up and have CW install a Jack antenna for their $39. special installation price. We bring our satellite antenna so I don't even bother with that worthless thing FR installed.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #12

Make sure your connections are good and your booster is on. When I am at my house in the burbs) I can get all sorts of channels. Even 50 miles away from the towers I still get a few when I am camping.
I am pretty sure I have the same antennal in my SP-220
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I scrapped the Surveyor supplied omni directional antenna for the Jack and haven't looked back. $39 for Camping World to install makes it a no brainer.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reception, surveyor, tv reception