Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Retired Vo-Ed Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to dcummins56
Ist Time out, 251 RKS

We picked up our new 2016 251 RKS from a dealer in Schokapee Mn, in Feb. 2016. Got the walk through and everything was fine. I purposely asked about the cut off valves for the hot water heater. I was told there weren't any, and that I should use air pressure to blow out the lines. We took off for Texas, March 20th, parked the TT at my Moms and stayed a week with her. 3 days after we got there we discovered the frig wasn't working lost all our frozen food. After a call to my dealer in Omaha, I checked inside the outside panel and the frig wasn't plugged in. Also we had no hot water, come to find out there are shut off valves and they were shut off, lucky for us we didn't burn the heating elements up. I was never told about the panel that had to come off to get to the valves. My dealer in Omaha is a good company, but their affiliate in MN sucks. So after several days of frustration every thing got worked out and we love the TT.
dcummins56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcummins56 View Post
We picked up our new 2016 251 RKS from a dealer in Schokapee Mn, in Feb. 2016. Got the walk through and everything was fine. I purposely asked about the cut off valves for the hot water heater. I was told there weren't any, and that I should use air pressure to blow out the lines. We took off for Texas, March 20th, parked the TT at my Moms and stayed a week with her. 3 days after we got there we discovered the frig wasn't working lost all our frozen food. After a call to my dealer in Omaha, I checked inside the outside panel and the frig wasn't plugged in. Also we had no hot water, come to find out there are shut off valves and they were shut off, lucky for us we didn't burn the heating elements up. I was never told about the panel that had to come off to get to the valves. My dealer in Omaha is a good company, but their affiliate in MN sucks. So after several days of frustration every thing got worked out and we love the TT.
I am glad things worked. I have a 2017. Let me know if I can answer any questions. You should have winterization valves behind a panel in the storage area. Check that if fresh water tank doesn't fill.
Good luck we love ours so far. Only took it out 4 times last year.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
Retired Vo-Ed Instructor

My JayCo had a hose connected to the water pump and a valve that you could switch to suck up anti freeze to winterize the TT, the Min Dealer said the 251 doesn't have that feature.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

It does. There are 4 screws that hold panel on. It is on right side of storage area. That is where your water pump is.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
Retired Vo-Ed Instructor

Water hose drain

In the back underneath there are 2 hoses sticking out, they have a black cap on them, I have tried to remove them, and they didn't budge, I didn't use a lot of force. Can you tell me how they should be removed.

I'm going to put hinges on those two panels that have to be removed twice a year. FR should have thought of that. Thanks for the previous tips.
Doug
Old 03-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

Ignore dup post

Old 03-30-2017, 10:43 AM   #7

Those are the low point drains. On my old trailer I had an issue removing the caps. 1st open a hot and cold water inside the trailer to release the pressure. The try two lock channel pliers to remove, one on cap and other on connection. I wound up cracking the caps.
I replaced with brass valves from Home Depot crimped on. Normal hose clamps leak because there is water pressure on both of these.
I found when dewinterizing there will be a little antifreeze in both.
I never thought about hinging good idea.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:29 PM   #8

Dcummins,
I cut an additional access panel next the head of the bed, for access to the water pump. I use two simple screws to hold the new panel.
In the winter, I open that panel so that warm air can get to the pump.
I do not use anti freeze; instead I drain every thing and use an inside heater in the winter.

RF251RKS
Ram2500 diesel
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #9

That to is a great idea and DW sleeps on that side of the bed. When I uncover trailer I will check out.
My dealer didn't initialize thermostat so AC didn't work right last summer until I figured how to do it. I had to do in last trailer too.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #10

MORRyde Suspension system

WE have a 2016 Surveyor 251RKS travel trailer. We are considering adding the MORryde suspension system, with wet bolts and stiffening bars to enhance our trailer. Anyone know anything about the benefits of doing this or have done it with success/failure. Thanks

Judy and Keith
Moodyjudy0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #11

Sorry don't know anything about the suspension system.