Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

Just joined, 2018 Surveyor 251RKS

Moved from a Skyline Koala 19WQ to the 251RKS. With 5 years of 8-9 months each year on the road we are not newbies to RVing but we are overwhelmed in a pleasant way with push buttons replacing manual labor. A couple of questions I have. Is there anything you have discovered in using the Surveyor that was not covered in the dealer orientation? Are there "quirks" that you have found that require specific maintenance or modification? I imagine we are going to enjoy the added space. If only I can adjust to clearing the gas pumps with the added length.
andy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #2

Welcome and enjoy your 2018 Surveyor 251RKS!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. We have a 2017 251rks and love it we have had almost no issues. What we have had have been small and I have repaired on my own versus driving 1+hrs to dealer. Here are a couple items:
1. under the slide you find the wires in plastic and attached to a flat piece that is supposed to go above the slide mechanism. For us it dropped below and rubbed on the tire. You can guess what happened. Easy fix but poor design.
2. make sure the outside bedroom door is closed when putting the awning in and out. If you don't the door will hit the awning supports and not allow it to close properly.
3. the bedroom get warm if you keep the bathroom doors closed. We close them when we have guest staying on the pull-out couch. Not a big issue. I am thinking about putting a vent on the top of the pocket door. I think that might help.
4. We purchased a slide topper and it has cut down on the noise from the rain hitting the slide out. We couldn't be happier with that mod.
5. I put the grab/push bar on the screen door. We have been real happy with that mod.
6. We do use the BAL X-chocks. They keep the sway down from front to back. doesn't help with the side to side.
7. for the sewer hoses I keep 2 15ft 1 5ft (I made), "Y" connector and elbow for hooking up to a sewer for longer stays. Makes dumping a little easier. I can stow all the hoses in the bumper.

Good luck and happy camping.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
Welcome to the forum. We have a 2017 251rks and love it we have had almost no issues. What we have had have been small and I have repaired on my own versus driving 1+hrs to dealer. Here are a couple items:
1. under the slide you find the wires in plastic and attached to a flat piece that is supposed to go above the slide mechanism. For us it dropped below and rubbed on the tire. You can guess what happened. Easy fix but poor design.
2. make sure the outside bedroom door is closed when putting the awning in and out. If you don't the door will hit the awning supports and not allow it to close properly.
3. the bedroom get warm if you keep the bathroom doors closed. We close them when we have guest staying on the pull-out couch. Not a big issue. I am thinking about putting a vent on the top of the pocket door. I think that might help.
4. We purchased a slide topper and it has cut down on the noise from the rain hitting the slide out. We couldn't be happier with that mod.
5. I put the grab/push bar on the screen door. We have been real happy with that mod.
6. We do use the BAL X-chocks. They keep the sway down from front to back. doesn't help with the side to side.
7. for the sewer hoses I keep 2 15ft 1 5ft (I made), "Y" connector and elbow for hooking up to a sewer for longer stays. Makes dumping a little easier. I can stow all the hoses in the bumper.

Good luck and happy camping.
How did you fix the wires under the slide, it just happened to us and we’d like to know how you stopped the wire harness from rubbing on the tire. Thank you!
Jbisaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #5

This morning I crawled under the slide (retracted). I did not find any wires in the wheel wells. The closest to the tires are the brake wires and they seemed well anchored with reasonable clearance. Does this sound like I understood your concern correctly? I really appreciate your help. I am seen as a safety nerd close to being a belt and suspenders guy.
andy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #6

I haven’t made a good permanent fix to prevent the wire and support from dropping down below the slide mechanism. What I did for partial temporary fix was reposition how it was attached to the outer part of the slide. What we are doing for now is when DW is available, I am outside the trailer watching to make sure the wire structure is going above the mechanism. If she isn’t around I bring in the slide about half way. Then check to make sure it is going above.
I spliced the wires together with crimp connector, while at the campground. And duct tape the support temporarily at the campground. Where the split in half I put in a small hinge and small screws, so it folds in that location. I will most likely redo that with a connection, making them a better permanent soldered connection. I did write Surveyor of the bad design, I thought I had pictures, but I am not able to find for you. I would take new, but TT is stored at a different location for the next several weeks.
I did remember 2 warranty issues that we had:
• The edge of the stoves top coating (porcelain?) was chipping off in less than 4 months of taking ownership. I sent pictures to dealer who sent to Surveyor they shipped a new top to the dealer which I picked up from dealer and installed. 1-minute easy install versus pulling trailer 90 min.
• Our Microwave died sometime last year or over the winter. Our Warranty Forever covered the replacement at the dealer. For the small Forest Point Microwave, they valued it at $450. A similar one (different brand) is probably available at Walmart for less than $100.
If you want, you can reach out to me via private messenger if needed. We are NY Capital District if you are ever in the area.
Again, good luck and Happy Camping.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the info, we’ve had our 251rks since March and that is the only concern we’ve had...and that just happened!
Jbisaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #8

This was useful!

I just posted the same question as Andy10 and then found this thread. Am printing out to use. Thanks
Angieburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum.
Our 2016 251rks never has been taken back to the dealer for any repairs. We did have a leak in the shower, but we fixed it.
We also removed the tire from under the trailer; I could never imagine getting under the trailer to grab the tire. I did notice that the pressure of the support frame for the tire had left an imprint on the tire: NOT good.
I also filled all the gaps under the trailer with foam.
I also wired in a satellite plug so that I have a direct line to the TV.
Ram 2500 / 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Our 2016 251rks never has been taken back to the dealer for any repairs. We did have a leak in the shower, but we fixed it.
We also removed the tire from under the trailer; I could never imagine getting under the trailer to grab the tire. I did notice that the pressure of the support frame for the tire had left an imprint on the tire: NOT good.
I also filled all the gaps under the trailer with foam.
I also wired in a satellite plug so that I have a direct line to the TV.
Ram 2500 / 251rks
I had to replace my spare tire as the under trailer carrier damaged it. I was afraid that it would have blown if I put it on the trailer. Dealer made an adjustment to the carrier. I have not had a chance to check out their work or how the tire looks now.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #11

Thanks for the heads up on the wiring harness issue. We put a deposit on a 251RKS last week and while checking it all over, I looked under the slide and sure enough, the wires were damaged. Glad I caught it before we took delivery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4343.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	199814

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4344.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	199815

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the wiring harness issue. We put a deposit on a 251RKS last week and while checking it all over, I looked under the slide and sure enough, the wires were damaged. Glad I caught it before we took delivery.

Attachment 199814

Attachment 199815
Glad you found it. If they were broken it would only effect the lights on the slide out. Also when I bring the slide out in I make sure the wiring is above the slide out mechanism.
Also, have the dealer show you the spare. I don't know if ours was mounted wrong by the dealer but the tire last year had sever rub marks on the sidewall. We had the dealer replace the tire.
Have the dealer show you the access panels to the hot water tank and water pump. You will need to know to winterize or dewinterize.
We love our 251rks. If you have any specific questions private message me.
Good luck!!!

Old 03-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
We love our 251rks. If you have any specific questions private message me.
Good luck!!!

Will-do. Thank you!

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #14

After seeing the wiring/slide out issue, I'll be checking mine. Although I don't have that specific model, it's very likely it could happen on any of our slides.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #15
Retired Vo-Ed Instructor

Send a message via Skype™ to dcummins56
2016 251 rks

We had a problem with the drawer under the stove not staying shut going down the road. Tried several things nothing worked, so we just put a hook and latch on the drawer, it is hardly noticeable, and works great.

We did have a tire blow out and I wrote about it in another thread. Check your tires if they are load C you need to upgrade them. I noticed that the 2019 have load D tires.

I went to load E, the TT pulls better and I get about 1/2 gallon better gas mileage.
dcummins56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcummins56 View Post
We had a problem with the drawer under the stove not staying shut going down the road. Tried several things nothing worked, so we just put a hook and latch on the drawer, it is hardly noticeable, and works great.

We did have a tire blow out and I wrote about it in another thread. Check your tires if they are load C you need to upgrade them. I noticed that the 2019 have load D tires.

I went to load E, the TT pulls better and I get about 1/2 gallon better gas mileage.
Load ratings are about as misunderstood as tow ratings. Figure out what the axles are rating for and rate your tires at or above those.

I recently went to buy tires and the tire dealer insisted that I bought E rated tires for the "superior" performance over the D rated tries. My axles are rated at 3500 lbs a piece and carried D rated tires from the factory. The ST225/75r15s could carry 2540 lbs individually for a combined 10,160 for the dual axle trailer. How much more tire do you need for a combine 7,000 axle weight? I figured adding a 31% buffer was more than enough for my rig.

Now, my friends trailer has the same axles on a different trailer but has the ST205/75r14 tires that are rated for 1,775 a piece. That's only 7,100 carry capacity which is a 1.4% buffer for maximum capacity. For his rig, I would be stepping up to a D rated tire in a heart beat.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #17

My wife and I just picked up our 2020 251RKS today. We are looking forward to getting to use it.
blue ridge runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue ridge runner View Post
My wife and I just picked up our 2020 251RKS today. We are looking forward to getting to use it.
Best of luck with yours. We live our 2017 251rks. No major issues. Thing we had covered under warranty is:
Edge of stovetop chipped away Surveyor replaced; microwave died last year covered under extended warranty. Other issue is underneath spare tire carrier it damaged tire. I removed it now carry spare in back of pickup. I suggest you keep an eye on your spare tire sidewall.
Any other questions please private message me. We live in NY Capital District area.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #19

You will sure enjoy the layout of this fantastic trailer. We do have several tips:
One is to buy some containers to hold your dishes, coffee pot and stuff that is stored at the back of the trailer. These items tended to move, while traveling.

A second tip is to add a voltage meter so that you can know the true health of your battery(s). I mounted a meter near the switches (where you have access to 12 volt lines.)

Best wishes..
Ram2500 / Surveyor 251rks
Bow WA
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #20

DW and I are heading down to Myrtle beach state park next Thursday. We sure do like it there. Will be second trip in our Surveyor. We are looking forward to it. Does anyone have any trip planned anytime soon?
blue ridge runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor