Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
swj

key broke off

on my 2017 surveyor 251 rks the key broke off in the "rear shower" lock. anyone know how to get a broken key out? tried needle nose pliers, can't get a grip on broken key?
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #2

Try this. They used scissors and also a drill. You can find a lot of stuff on the interwebs.

https://youtu.be/PyROUH2IETM

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
mpouls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #3

Sorry to hear. It is one of the reasons I replaced all my locks this past weekend. I was afraid our key was going to break off in one of the storage compartment locks.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpouls1 View Post
Try this. They used scissors and also a drill. You can find a lot of stuff on the interwebs.

https://youtu.be/PyROUH2IETM
I am a retired locksmith and would not recommend this approach since this is not the kind of lock you have. You could get this done by a locksmith since they have the special tools for the job or you could buy a broken key extractor and do it yourself.

Here is another video that has a wafer tumbler lock which is what is used on RVs. https://youtu.be/9QtsXehGdGo

Bob Fraser
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

In the open position. Push the key further in to the lock cylinder. Using a small screw driver pry the cylinder out of the lock. If it comes out in your hand push the key out the back side of the cylinder. In the open position still, push the cylinder back into the lock. Have a new key made to replace the broken one.

If this doesn't fly try a copping saw blade. Teeth facing out and toward the key, push up on the wafers and then down on the broken key. Pull the blade out to see if this pulls the key out.

Still no luck drill it and replace it.
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #6

If the key is broke off at the shoulder then all of the pins may be depressed and the lock may freely turn with a screwdriver.

What ya think Sailski..

How about a picture of the door and lock..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #7

A very simple broken key removal tool can be made from a safety pin.

Open the pin and straighten. With some pliers bend a "hook" on the sharp tip, bending it back past 90 degrees and half way to 180.

Push the now barbed end of the pin into the lock under the various cuts on the key. Once under the first cut carefully draw key back. The barb should snag the notch in the key and extract.

Have a friend who owned a locksmith shop for over 50 years and have watched him both make the "tool" and remove the broken piece in less than a minute.

The key to success (no pun intended) is to make sure the tip is bent far enough back to allow it to slip between "tumblers" and broken key, yet still grab the first remaining "notch". If the tool slips off before key is all the way out, repeat until enough is exposed to grip with needle nosed pliers.

Since most keys break near the shoulder this should be fairly easy.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:53 PM   #8

Cheap set of picks at Harbor Freight. Little short orange handle set. Work for me.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:28 AM   #9

I've had some luck by bending a paper clip.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #10

Put Krazy glue on the end of a piece of wire or small drill bit and attach it to the broken key end in the lock.....once it hardens pull the key out.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORKLIFMAN View Post
Cheap set of picks at Harbor Freight. Little short orange handle set. Work for me.
Lock picks work well if you've lost the key but for broken keys, not so much.

Yes, you can use the picks to open the lock then remove to repair or replace but the issue still remains, get the broken piece out.

FWIW, I replaced all my storage compartment locks with keyed alike "Tubular" or sometimes called "ACE Locks". Nobody else has a key that will operate my locks and these keys don't break like "bit keys".

Old 05-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #12
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
on my 2017 surveyor 251 rks the key broke off in the "rear shower" lock. anyone know how to get a broken key out? tried needle nose pliers, can't get a grip on broken key?
The lock used is a wafer tumbler cam lock that can be easily and inexpensively replaced. As a retired locksmith with a lifetime of experience I would like to offer some advise.

If the correct key was fully inserted you should be able to turn the inner part of the lock that rotates with the key and open the door. This will allow you access from the inside and to remove the lock if necessary. First you generally need to relock the lock (Not the door) and hold it in the locked position since the key cannot be removed when the key is rotated even a little. Now there may be a hole on the inside that you can use to push the key out from the inside with a paperclip.

An ice, dental, or mechanics pick could be used to pry the key out from the outside.

Broken key extractor sets are available on Amazon.

Much advise has been offered. However remember that while well meaning there are many different kinds of locks and what works great on one lock does not necssary work well on a different lock cylinder and a different technique or tool may be needed. Furthermore although I could frequently remove a broken key for a customer in a few minutes l might struggle for half an hour or more with a different lock. I would strongly advise NOT using crazy glue because a drop in the wrong place could make it impossible to use the lock or remove the key. Magnets don't normally work either since keys are usually brass.

Since this is a cam lock the easiest thing for swj: to do is pry the door open and replace the cam lock since they should only cost $10 or so.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #13

Would've been nice if the OP had responded back with some pics.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post

Since this is a cam lock the easiest thing for swj: to do is pry the door open and replace the cam lock since they should only cost $10 or so.
And then possibly have to spend a couple hundred repairing the damage to door and frame.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #15

I assume you tried a good strong shop vac?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #16

I didn't really understand the "exact door" you meant. I assume you are on the outside shower door? If its like the ones I have seen... the tab holding the door shut is just Chinese metal tab dilly... one could almost pry that door open with your finger nails. The normal doors/outdoor units are cheap. IMO

https://www.amazon.com/Dura-Faucet-D...ateway&sr=8-10
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote