Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

LED Awning Lights

Just got back from a week at Lake Easton and we had the only FR product at the sight. The LED awning lights were a great hit. They really do put out a nice light IMO. However I noticed there are about 20 lights not working. Has anyone else had issues with these? I figured LEDs would have a longer life expectancy.
Cudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #2

Yes , I had mine replaced twice. My latest set is still in the bag while I wait for more to go out. They are really bright but boy do they attract bugs down south where we live. I use the multi colored leds that I got off ebay, they dont attract bugs nearly as much.
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Thanks I will check them out on Ebay. Great tip on the colored ones too.
Cudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudaman View Post
Just got back from a week at Lake Easton and we had the only FR product at the sight. The LED awning lights were a great hit. They really do put out a nice light IMO. However I noticed there are about 20 lights not working. Has anyone else had issues with these? I figured LEDs would have a longer life expectancy.
Really? Maybe it's just me, but the factory installed LED's under the awnings of our 8289 WS are about the only thing I don't like. I find the bright LED's to be a bit too harsh for my liking. I prefer the softer light of the orange "porch" light.

Those bright LED's may be useful if I needed a lot of light for working on something, but for evening relaxation, they stay off on our rig.
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #5

I bought a strip of LED lights with adhesive strip backing from ebay. They were inexpensive and work great. My issue is with a way to permanently mount them. I for now just bungee them to the canopy roller. I don't trust the adhesive strip they came with to last long and I am hesitant to mount them so they get roled up with the canopy. How have others dealt with this?Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #6

I also bought the multicolored waterproof LED light strip off ebay. I aslo bought a wifi controller and control color and intensity from my iPhone. I light the green as it does provide light and doesn't seem to attract bugs.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #7

The factory install on our Rockwood 8289 has them installed just under the canopy. With the canopy rolled up, they are hidden, as the canopy roll is over them. The light strip is mounted just below where the canopy fabric is attached to the body of the RV.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouNick View Post
Really? Maybe it's just me, but the factory installed LED's under the awnings of our 8289 WS are about the only thing I don't like. I find the bright LED's to be a bit too harsh for my liking. I prefer the softer light of the orange "porch" light.

Those bright LED's may be useful if I needed a lot of light for working on something, but for evening relaxation, they stay off on our rig.
We bought a dimmer. Works great.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #9

Where did you install the dimmer? Ours are wired to factory wired switches. One rocker style switch is in the main switch panel and the other is in the slide-out. Can those rocker switches be replaced directly with a dimmer? That would be nice!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #10

I really like our FR LED lights. Perfect amount of light and great for reading outside. We already have four bulbs burned out after about 35 days of camping.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouNick View Post
Where did you install the dimmer? Ours are wired to factory wired switches. One rocker style switch is in the main switch panel and the other is in the slide-out. Can those rocker switches be replaced directly with a dimmer? That would be nice!
When my DH gets back from fishing I'll post how he did it =) They still work of of the rocker switch at the control panel, but he must have split off of it and installed the dimmer where our outdoor fridge is.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #12

I only turned mine on once or twice to show friends how they look. Went to use them 6 months later and had about 10 burned out. They were replaced under warranty but if they fail again I will not be replacing them at my cost. LED's are highly reliable so I suspect that they either used cheap LEDs or the wiring is too flimsy
johndeerefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #13

I've got nearly a dozen out on mine after almost a year. They're dirt cheap and an easy replacement with just about any color. Whatever they use is evidently junk. I'm probably about to order a new strip and move the old one to my pass through storage since there's no light in there on mine. The factory one isn't overly bright to me, but I may go with a warmer light when I replace them.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #14

LED Awning Lights

Can someone please make it a little easier to find LED's as a replacement... Maybe a link so we can see what you're buying. Like a PP mentioned, if I need to work on my rig, I flip them on. Otherwise, way too bright and attracts way too many bugs. I'd love to buy some amber lights but have no idea what to purchase.

In case you're wondering why I'm here... We're considering upgrading to the Surveyor SC280BHS.

2014 Rockwood 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #15

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JSHD9RC/ref=twister_B00ENX0VU4

Something like these. For some reason the link keeps defaulting to pink. They have an option for warm white that might work better than what comes on the trailer...that's what I think I'm going to do. Multi color programmable is another option.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #16

LED string constantly failing

I am on my third 15' string of EBAY multi colored leds under my awning. It seems as though they work fine for several months and then 3 here and 3 there will go out in various colors.. They might all work in green, but 3 will be out in red or 6 might be out in blue. I am getting leary of replacing them again with those available on EBAY from China... I have been told that if I even buy them here in the U.S, the cost will be much higher and there is no guarantee that they won't also be from China and fail just as fast.. Thoughts? Good sources that you have found with quality lights
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #17

Since you all are talking about it, I was thinking of putting on the multi colored one myself.

So my questions are:

Where did you put the IR controller?

Did you make your own switch?

And do I need to make my own harness between the strip and controller because of the distance?

Thanks for the help

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #18

We feel like we're on a Broadway stage when we have ours on...so we don't use them much.

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #19

I know it's an older thread, but...I replaced mine a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Since you all are talking about it, I was thinking of putting on the multi colored one myself.

So my questions are:

Where did you put the IR controller?

Did you make your own switch?

And do I need to make my own harness between the strip and controller because of the distance?

Thanks for the help

"
I drilled a hole in the awning support into the storage compartment where the factory LED wiring went. I spliced the controller into the factory wiring so I could turn it on and off with the porch light switch (that was how the factory awning lights were done). I mounted the controller / IR box with velcro to the inside of the storage compartment so it would be out of the elements and stuck the IR sensor out of the hole I ran the wires through so it peaks out the bottom of the awning support. With the molding put back on you can't see it unless you know it's there.

As to the wiring, the color strips were five wire instead of the two wire from the factory, so I couldn't reuse the factory wires. I went to Lowes and picked up some thermostat wire...21/5 I think. It's stiff, bendable, and already has five wires (mostly the same colors as the light strip) and wrapped up nice and neat. I soldered that in and good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevengb View Post
We feel like we're on a Broadway stage when we have ours on...so we don't use them much.
One of the things I like about the new lights is they're dimmable. That, and a warmer light.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #20

I ordered these off of E-bay for about $25 a year ago, and they are still working well (5M 5050 RGB LED Strip 5M 300 LEDs Light 60led/M Waterproof IP68). I had 4 other sets from E-bay (5M 300 LED IP67) that all had some or a lot of the LEDs go out. The IP67 claim to be waterproof, but are not. Water got in from the adhesive backing. The IP68 are encased in semi-soft rubber and do not have an adhesive backing, so a different means of attachment is necessary. I attached mine with little adhesive zip-tie tabs about every 2'.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	67564
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light