Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #1

Linoleum flooring ripped

Got our 2009 SV-291 out of winter storage this weekend and noticed a 24 inch rip in the linoleum flooring by the dinette and extending under the slide out. It's not along any seam, and makes a large curve. No idea what could have caused that accept made cold/hot contraction? We bought an extended warranty, but we're not sure how good that is. Looking into getting it fixed, but we're not sure how the fix would even be done since the flooring goes down first and everything else is built on top of it.

Ideas would be appreciated!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #2

The fact that its a curve and goes under the slideout makes me think something may have gotten dragged under it when the slide was put out. None the less I think your only options are to glue it down and deal with it, find a piece that matches and replace a square cutting it out on a discrete pattern, or recover the whole visable floor with vinyl or laminate. My suggestion is that area rugs look really nice. Good luck

Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #3

Two options. Either call up a auto upolstry repair company. Find the right one and they do lenolium too or have your warranty replace it. Note though, if warranty replaces it they will simply put new linoleum over the top of the old stuff. Then will put quarter round around all the edges that butt up against the cupboards and appliances. I opted to fix mine due to to I didn't want quarter round everywhere and the added weight. But my fix sounds like it was much smaller than yours.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #4

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. The rip did not occur because of the slide. I checked it several times over the winter. The slide was not moved. Came to pick it up and there was the rip.

Our initial idea is to cut a rectangular section out and replace it with Pergo or something similar and extend it in front of the kitchen area. Really don't like the overlay and quarter round idea.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #5

There are several people who have experienced the same problem and it is from the cold weather. Most have been repaired under warranty, however I am not sure how they laid the new stuff down.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #6

I got the hardwood floor looking linoleum. My first time I took the slide in and out it ripped off the top layer of it and left a nice little wite spot. They left a piece of wood hanging off it. I brought it back for the family to walk through for the first time and my son noticed it. Just after I got done saying how careful we all have to be with the floor. I was sad but got over it.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #7

Same thing happened to me

What a shock to see that when i got my trailer out of storage. I went to a local flooring store (I have a buddy who works there). For $100 they installed a much better quality vinyl floor and glued it down everywhere (not just at the sides like the factory does. We just cut the old linoleum around the cabinets and walls and he was able to cut and line it up right up against those edges. Where I have carpet that abuts the linoleum he was able to tuck it nicely under the metal strip that separates the carpet and linoleum. Turned out really nice. But, my trailer is old enough to be out of warranty.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titleguy View Post
What a shock to see that when i got my trailer out of storage. I went to a local flooring store (I have a buddy who works there). For $100 they installed a much better quality vinyl floor and glued it down everywhere (not just at the sides like the factory does. We just cut the old linoleum around the cabinets and walls and he was able to cut and line it up right up against those edges. Where I have carpet that abuts the linoleum he was able to tuck it nicely under the metal strip that separates the carpet and linoleum. Turned out really nice. But, my trailer is old enough to be out of warranty.
The floor is only glued around the edges for a reason according to the FR factory rep I discussed this very problem with prior to purchasing our current unit as we had buckling of the lino in our old Edgewater. If there is ever an issue with the flooring it can be removed and redone but if it is glued all over it is a nightmare to even try and remove, plus the floor has some room to flex in extreme temps like the TPO roofing does.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #9

Well, I do have to agree it was very easy to take the old floor up. The glue that was there was not very tacky (The glue should dry tacky so it never really sets up hard). Piece of cake to take the old floor out. I would think the tackiness of the glue and softness of the material would give the floor all the flexibility it needs.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #10

Sounds like you lucked out for the fact that your warranty had expired, yes it cost a bit more, but I think what you did to fix it was done right, the warranty would have just put a big bandaid on the problem