Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #21

Found rating

Crawling around under our Flagstaff 30WFKSS this morning, I found one of each spoked al. wheels had 2150 molded into the wheel. This matches the steel spare stamped 2150 which if I'm not mistaken makes them "C range" wheels. Discount Tire and local wheel/axle shop said "not to worry".

These trailers came with 15" x 6" rims and 5 x 4-1/2 bolt pattern. To fix this, that will require new rims like Taskmaster 560545M8PVD found at E Trailer website (I'm sure there are others). A search long and hard might turn up similar pretty aluminum ones somewhere.

Weight wise, the C range stuff is just barely sufficient to carry the trailer. Result is blown tires causing upgrade to D range tires only.

Since I'm really out of business for at least two years making payments, I have time to shop now and save for new tires and wheels. YES! Then the axles and hubs will be over loaded. No, it doesn't have springs and yes it might ride rougher.

I too have seen the single finger salute for driving under the speed limit.

Original question was never answered as to what is "really" on the side of Maxxis M8008 E tires for speed rating. Not to worry now, I'll wait.

Thanks for constructive input and some humor. ADIOS!

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #22

My rim has stamped a 2150 load rating for 5 lug AND a 2540 load rating for 6 lug. See if you can find a second set of markings which correspond to a 'D' load range tire.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupchuck View Post
Crawling around under our Flagstaff 30WFKSS this morning, I found one of each spoked al. wheels had 2150 molded into the wheel. This matches the steel spare stamped 2150 which if I'm not mistaken makes them "C range" wheels. Discount Tire and local wheel/axle shop said "not to worry". What is the LR for the size tires you have that shows 2,150# in the charts. I can't look it up because I don't know your tire size.
These trailers came with 15" x 6" rims and 5 x 4-1/2 bolt pattern. To fix this, that will require new rims like Taskmaster 560545M8PVD found at E Trailer website (I'm sure there are others). A search long and hard might turn up similar pretty aluminum ones somewhere.
Weight wise, the C range stuff is just barely sufficient to carry the trailer. Result is blown tires causing upgrade to D range tires only.
Since I'm really out of business for at least two years making payments, I have time to shop now and save for new tires and wheels. YES! Then the axles and hubs will be over loaded. No, it doesn't have springs and yes it might ride rougher.
I too have seen the single finger salute for driving under the speed limit.
Original question was never answered as to what is "really" on the side of Maxxis M8008 E tires for speed rating. Not to worry now, I'll wait.
Thanks for constructive input and some humor. ADIOS!
I really do not understand why you are not demanding that FR step up and provide the wheels that have a load capacity that matches the tires they selected and the inflation they specified. No matter what FR does the minimum you need to do is file a complaint on NHTSA web site. This is a safety issue if the wheels are not rated to carry the load the tires are rated for. The requirement is that the tires have a load capacity at their specified inflation that is no less than the axle capacity shown on your placard sticker. Can you post a picture of your placard?

RE MAXXIS speed rating. The speed rating of ST type tires only started this year so there are many times in the pipeline from 2015 that would have no speed rating molded on the tire. Those tires would all be rated 65 mph MAX.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #24

Tireman
The wheels are rated at 2150, tires are rated at 2150 which is just enough. Most people have tires rated at just enough. This is what FR does is most cases and there is nothing the dealer is going to do for you.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Tireman
The wheels are rated at 2150, tires are rated at 2150 which is just enough. Most people have tires rated at just enough. This is what FR does is most cases and there is nothing the dealer is going to do for you.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
When he said "FR sent our trailer with spare rim rated for 2150 lbs. with D range tires rated for 2450 lbs" I thought the ground tires were D rated like the spare tire. I jumped to wrong conclusion. But it does look like he will need new wheels if he wants a load margin on his tires.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #26

Pasted here is the email response when i contacted the rim company it seems they only test their rims to what is the min requirement for the application. i have to look on my rims for some indication of max pressure, this has me thinking they are not very good even though they look so nice.

Hello Greg,

Good morning. We're always glad to help our customers the best ways we can.
Our wheels were tested and passed these load capacities.
T02-45545T max load 1,900lbs max air 65psi

Testing Standard for trailer wheels SAE J1204 allow for slight overages.
For the max air psi that rating is meant to be read cold before use. It allows for pressure build-up during driving.

Thanks,

Kelly Austin
Tireco (Sendel and Forte wheels)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #27

Just out of pure curiosity, does anyone have "first-hand knowledge" of a rim failure where a standard tire and not an offroad or racing tire or the like was used? Just curious. I asked my tire guy who is deep into racing, the same question and his answer was "not in twenty-one years in the business."
When I went to LREs from LRDs, I asked him about the rim rating and was told not to worry about it. There is no PSI max stamped anywhere on my rims. Yes, I searched long and hard when they were getting changed. Nada.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I honestly believe there is some confusion here. I think folks are mixing max tire pressure with max rim pressure. I have never heard of a trailer rim limited to 65 psi, with that said I may be wrong as often happens. I promise not to get offended if someone tells me I'm full of well you know.
Here you go got this from the supplier Lion Head. Now don't feel bad SEADOG...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rockwood rims.pdf (228.4 KB, 97 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #29

2450 tires on 2150 wheels

YEP! I know the dealer won't do anything for me as I asked when we ordered the trailer. At that time, I tried to get set up for E range tires at any cost and was told NAH!

All five tires are the same D range Castle Rock chinabombs with C range cute AL. wheels. I know wheels must go to safely upgrade and have peace of mind (piece of mind?).

I now know there are 15-6 rims in the 5 bolt 2 5/8 inch pattern that are rated at 2850 (or 80 psi). Two things have been settled and I'm done 'til we have improvement on wifes major problem. With wife unable to use it with me, why have it? May be for sale.

Thanks for the input. Mind is more or less made up on what to do. I liked steel wheels in black anyway.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:24 PM   #30

Not my wheels

Witchdoctor. Those are not my wheels. My signature has my trailer in it and you can look it up on Forest River. 15 inch by 6 wide rim with 5 bolt 2 5/8 pattern and they are rated at 2150 lbs. According to your chart, that would be 60 psi and that is what is on the tires rated at 2450.

Not to worry! Chinabombs will go no matter what even if I sell it. Don't like passing on trouble.

Adios Amigos.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Just out of pure curiosity, does anyone have "first-hand knowledge" of a rim failure where a standard tire and not an offroad or racing tire or the like was used? Just curious. I asked my tire guy who is deep into racing, the same question and his answer was "not in twenty-one years in the business."
When I went to LREs from LRDs, I asked him about the rim rating and was told not to worry about it. There is no PSI max stamped anywhere on my rims. Yes, I searched long and hard when they were getting changed. Nada.
Cant say ive even personally heard someone tell a 'story' about a rim failure from using a cheapo under-rated rim for the application(or upgraded tire being used), and ive spend alot of drinking time at the local tire shops, where that kind of story would surely pop up lol

I can also say that im a culprit of running "e" tires on rims hardly "d" rated, while loading the "e" tires to just beyond max load, and again never had a failure, and thats hauling on rough gravel roads beating the crap out of it too.

But at the end of the day, i dont think anyone has very good luck with trailer tires, and i would want to get a proper tire/rim too... and i wouldnt condone the use of an improper tire/rim combo. at the end of the day it could very well cost someones life or at minimum some property damage!

Tags
pressure, tire