Old 07-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #1

Max tire rim pressure ?

I upgraded the tires on my forest river surveyor today went to e load but could not find max rim pressure on rim. Went on line and it's 60 psi and the maxxis are good for 65 psi so I guess I will have too run them at 60 max. any thoughts on this ,I know that tires get a lot time here.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #2

i keep mine at 65

Old 07-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #3
clr

I would go to the tire pressure/ load rating chart for your tire and see how much your tire can carry at 60 PSI. If that meets your loading needs then I would stay with the 60 PSI and not over load the wheel with the 65 PSI pressure. If you cannot find a chart for your exact tire I would look at the Goodyear or Michelin charts and use your tire size to find the correct chart.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
Commercial Member

I believe that the wheels should be able to handle the max pressure marked on the sidewall of the tire that the RV company provided.

You can always ask FR "Customer Service" to confirm that "the wheels they provide can handle the max inflation on the tire they supply."

Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
WEB SITE

Web site for aluminum rims tire pressure can be found here www.series06.com
BOLIY PRO 3600SI GEN
DAYS CAMPED 2016 74 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
Buckskin

I run my tire pressure slightly less than max pressure called out on sidewall of tire. This way when tire heats up it will be about max pressure. Too little pressure may cause tire failure.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
I run my tire pressure slightly less than max pressure called out on sidewall of tire. This way when tire heats up it will be about max pressure. Too little pressure may cause tire failure.
As a tire engineer I can tell you that is not the best approach for TT owners.

TT tires should run CIP as the tire pressure on the sidewall associated with the max load. You do not need to worry about pressure build up if the tire is not overloaded and you do not exceed the max speed (65 for most ST type tires) This pressure increase of a few psi is normal and accounted for in tire design.

The lower you start the pressure the greater will be the pressure increase.

You also want to lower the Interply Shear in the TT tires. This is the force that is trying to tear the belts and tread off the body of the tire.
If you want to learn more about this force, that is high in TT due to trailer suspension design you can Google Interply Shear tires
and read the technical posts and papers or simply increase your cold pressure

Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #8

Having 14" rims I can only move up to D rated tires however according to my reading my aluminum rims are good to 80psi much higher then the D tire max. always interesting to read the tech points by TM
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
As a tire engineer I can tell you that is not the best approach for TT owners.

TT tires should run CIP as the tire pressure on the sidewall associated with the max load. You do not need to worry about pressure build up if the tire is not overloaded and you do not exceed the max speed (65 for most ST type tires) This pressure increase of a few psi is normal and accounted for in tire design.

The lower you start the pressure the greater will be the pressure increase.

You also want to lower the Interply Shear in the TT tires. This is the force that is trying to tear the belts and tread off the body of the tire.
If you want to learn more about this force, that is high in TT due to trailer suspension design you can Google Interply Shear tires
and read the technical posts and papers or simply increase your cold pressure
Great info!!

In your opinion what is the best tire for a travel trailer, all of us are trying to prevent blowouts especially from our OEM China Bombs. Maxxis seems to be a choice of many, some say ST, some say LT, it is very confusing.
Nights Camped 2017 0
Coolharts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
The correct tire pressure for your OE tires is found on the tire placard, certification label and in the vehicle owner manual.

Search = Tires | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire