Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Which power filter did you use on your Jensen?
A Radio Shack one?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #12

Herk,
I love your posts - you have more interesting pictures than I've ever seen in one place.

I would have thought Radio Shack would carry these filters, but alas -didn't see any. I ordered mine from Crutchfield.com; the largest one they carry. Attached is a picture of the 350 watt filter I used. It is a bit heavy, so mounting it with screws to the side was a good idea.

Even though you didn't ask - I'll just mention the difference between power filters and surge supressors. A DC "power filter" is basically an inductor and capacitor to smooth out any voltage ripple so the sound system can reproduce sound cleanly. "Surge supressors" have a different function - they have MOV (Metal Oxide Varistors) with the main function of shorting out high voltage (such as lightning induced and conducted current) to ground. A surge supressor protects electronic equipment from destructive overvoltages. For a well protected TT the incoming 120VAC power should have a surge supressor (like the Progressive Industries power management systems). Once the power is converted to 12V, then a noise filter on the stereo power eliminates hum. Adding these 2 devices was my first TT mod. Just providing the info for anyone not familiar with the difference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Power Filter.pdf (71.9 KB, 29 views)

Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcleister View Post
Herk,
I love your posts - you have more interesting pictures than I've ever seen in one place.

I would have thought Radio Shack would carry these filters, but alas -didn't see any. I ordered mine from Crutchfield.com; the largest one they carry. Attached is a picture of the 350 watt filter I used. It is a bit heavy, so mounting it with screws to the side was a good idea.

Even though you didn't ask - I'll just mention the difference between power filters and surge supressors. A DC "power filter" is basically an inductor and capacitor to smooth out any voltage ripple so the sound system can reproduce sound cleanly. "Surge supressors" have a different function - they have MOV (Metal Oxide Varistors) with the main function of shorting out high voltage (such as lightning induced and conducted current) to ground. A surge supressor protects electronic equipment from destructive overvoltages. For a well protected TT the incoming 120VAC power should have a surge supressor (like the Progressive Industries power management systems). Once the power is converted to 12V, then a noise filter on the stereo power eliminates hum. Adding these 2 devices was my first TT mod. Just providing the info for anyone not familiar with the difference.
Thank you for explaining that. I made a similar post some months ago regarding surge supressors and power line filters (as it applied to incoming shore power). It is always good to restate these things occasionally because we get new folks every day.

Just wanted to know which one you used, is all.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad