Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #21

So it leaked while it was in, very interesting ! My slide seems to be sitting very snugly when in, but one never knows ! So they basically changed the white seal on the slide or the black one outside the trailer ?

Thanks for checking my pictures and giving me hope I hope mine will be fixed too. This unit was was quite a reach for me with two kids in university and just me taking care of them, so I am devastated that a brand new trailer I could barely afford is leaking.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #22

Guess I'm pretty lucky. No issues to report yet.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #23

I am guessing that the cut out slides are prone to this as on this board there are alrerady three of us with leaking slides. Maybe all were built on a Friday afternoon
Old 11-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #24

I dropped at the dealer (Niagara Trailers) who agreed to do the work under warranty, kudos to them ! They were very surprised that the water was collecting at the bottom of the seals at the slideout interior corners.

They said they will fix it and let me know. Knowing them pretty well that they will fix it and stand up for their work. I wish my local dealer who is only 10 minutes away would have done the same. I drove 1.5 hours to take the trailer to them, but it was well worth it because they care for their customer and take care of them. I am most probably get it back next weekend. My fingers are crossed that this problem will be solved once and for all !
Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #25

I took my trailer back on saturday and water tested it today ... basically simulated a rain, aimed the end of the hose towards the air set to shower and it came down like rain, right into the trailer ! I was promised that it was fixed, it was never going to leak ever ... I did not see any single change on the seals as I had taken extensive pictures of the whole inside and outside. So far for repairs under warranty. And it cost me 200 dollars to drop and pick up the trailer for a non existing/working repair

I regret that I bought this trailer .... Water comes in from underneath obviously ... I went in and I could see it dripping and sometimes pouring in as the bottom of the front seal got full and dumped water. What a piece of junk ! A brand new unit should NOT be leaking ... And since I imported it to Canada myself now none of the Canadian dealers will touch it. 22,000 dollar piece of junk ! I am tempted to just drive it to their factory and leave it there for them to see the junk they are producing !
Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #26

An update to be honest and fair to the Surveyor folks ...

I have been asked to bring the trailer to the factory and they would have alok at the problem.

As soon as they saw the unit, they knew what was wrong. They took it to their rain simulation room with no leaks. I pointed out another possible leak I wasn't sure and they fixed that too after confirming that even though it was very minor, it was a leak and we all know even a minor leak kills a trailer.

The folks there really were very courtesous and customer satisfaction is VERY important for them. They are very thorough with their processes and a trailer like mine is just bad luck with all the checks. I will post some pictures of the factory on another thread.

I only camped two nights after the fix in extreme cold and snow, but the trailer was hot and I assume I would see some signs of water if the leak was going on.

My fingers are crossed that my brand new trailer is back to full health ! THANKS SURVEYOR FACTORY FOLKS !!!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #27

Exclamation

So your saying the Factory is the only recourse in fixing the slide leak? I'm curious because mine is leaking in the same place, and the dealers will not commit to fixing it...

Where's the Factory located?
seadoomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 AM   #28

Uh oh .. why would the dealer not commit to a fix ? That is weird.

In my case the factory took care of us because I imported it to Canada and the Canadian dealers refused to fix it because I hadn't bought it from them and in Canada. Standards are different and I had to get it certified to use it in Canada they said, to the tune of 500 to 1,000 bucks.

So factory was kind enough to say bring it. Any competent dealer worth its salt should be able to fix it. Actually I felt very bad when I heard what they had fixed.

When we went there I was thinking that they were going to take the slide out and I couldn't be more wrong.

I need to post a picture to explain where the leak was from, my English is not adequate to properly identify the parts involved and I don't know the terminology I will do that later today when I have a chance.

I suggest you make sure that the dealers contact the factory and ask them how to fix it ...
Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #29

Here is the picture. The stripping covering the channels had shrunk and exposed the interior to water. Once the water got in, the interior structure channeled it right into where I was finding it.

The unit also had screws in those channels covered by whatever you call it, which were not sealed properly, and some were protruding thus letting the water inside.

The red arrows and the areas I circled shows the penetration points.

Same story on the front part of the slideout, but to a lesser degree. Whomever was working on the slideout that day deserves a good talking to ! I wonder if the serial numbers of the units which are leaking are very close, I.E. same day production ...

Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #30

Interesting... mine has the same issue with those areas not being completly filled in. If we drive in the rain, water does indeed enter out unit.

Now I know why!

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #31

There you go, exactly my problem. remove the strips, make sure all screws are in properly and have sealant around them, seal over them. And put NEW strips which cover the whole unit ....

Is yours a 2011 SV-291 too ? We should change VIN numbers and see if hey are close ....

Just noticed, yours is a 2008 ! Oh wooow ! you would think they would have noticed that there is an issue with that strip thingie by now. Maybe, just maybe, dealers handled it and they did not get a feedback ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpybeartx View Post
Interesting... mine has the same issue with those areas not being completly filled in. If we drive in the rain, water does indeed enter out unit.

Now I know why!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #32

Exclamation

Goomph...I sealed my 291 last week in the same areas you indicated in your first post. I also made adjustments to the level of the trailer to dip slightly downward on the slide side. We had roughly 1 inch of rain last night and today...as of right now no noticeable leaks!

Now to discuss your picture of the problem areas shown in your photo from the factory...emphasis on the upper right corner that you have circled! My 291 has a 3 inch gap in the same corner...what I would call the weather stripping or vinyl covering, which I believe cover the screws for the trim piece. Or maybe in your picture would be the red arrow. The interesting part is my slide is leaking inside from the opposite (left) corner, but the 3 inch gap has to be letting water in! So, somebody at the factory knew they short-changed the vinyl covering to that corner and said "Oh Well" time to go home! Unbelievable!!!

Well the sun will be out tomorrow and so will I...sealing the areas in your photo! Thank you for posting your photo, as now I know another area to seal and hopefully cure my leak for good! It's pitiful that owners have to go through this in lieu of Forest River passing down a Technical Bulletin to the Dealers to correct a possible problem!
seadoomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #33

That trim piece HAS to be exact and cover the whole area I am told ... Obviously sometimes it shinks is what I heard ... But, English is not my native language and I do not want to lie in case I misunderstood it.

They sell that trim piece at RV dealers and it is pretty cheap. I would, in summer, take the whole thing off, make sure all screws are in proeprly, seal each screw, and put the trim piece in. If you looked at my pictures, when I took picyures, on the top rear corner that vinly is long enough. When I was at factory it was off like 2" or so .... And I remember it being maybe an inch shorter before that.

And yes, you would think FR would let the dealers know .... Actually I am still in touch with them and I will probably jsut let them know that there are a lot of people suffering from the same thing.

As I might have mentioned, I camped in almost constant snow for three days with the trailer being around 70 degrees inside and one would think that melted snow would find its way inside as water but I could not find any sign of it. My fingers are crossed that my issues are resolved. And hopefully it helps others with slide leaks to address it as well.

This says something about the RV dealers, they are operating in a vacuum ! no exchange of information obviously takes place ...

Maybe they even read this forum ...
Old 01-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #34

Question

Then I may need to recant from my last post about the Factory guys short-changing me on the trim covering! It did not occur to me that the trim covering would shrink! I have been RVing in Virginia for the past three months, and the temps have been below freezing the last 6 weeks! I'm pretty diligent in walking around the trailer once a week, and looking for anything out of place! Especially last week when I sealed the slide based on your first post, and I did not noticed the trim shrinking! Obviously, I missed it, and no telling when it started to shrink!
But, I will take care of it tomorrow!

Now on to the other items that are not functioning...

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #35

Question

Goomph,

Did you noticed a lot of sweating in your trailer with snow outside and 70 degrees inside? Mine sweats immensely at temps below 32 degrees...
Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #36

By Sweats, you mean condensation inside ? Oh yeah ! it was around -15F or so outside and inside was around 70 and there was a lot of Condensation. I opened one of the vents slightly, and wiped off the condensation from the windows ...

Hopefully I am going again after this weekend and will keep an eye on the water leak spots ! Obviously sealing things properly is the only defense these trailers have against leaks. You would think They would come up with something else in addition to the caulking to prevent water damage. But then again I am an engineer, and think slightly differently then folks who just want to make trailers and get rich. Probably no one would want a 9000 Lbs empty trailer WHICH never leaked ! LOL
Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's Run View Post
How do you guy's rate Forest River's Quality control? and/or does it even exist? any ideas anyone?
Quality control is not great, they want to get the units out the door as quick as they can. I have a 2011 2902SS and I have had quite a few issues in the first 6 months. My dealer was not capable in repairing the problems correctly (Forest River dropped them as a dealer). Forest River has been more than responsive in getting me the parts so that I can make my own repairs. As far as your water leaks I would recommend the slide out awnings to help shed the water away.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
By Sweats, you mean condensation inside ? Oh yeah ! it was around -15F or so outside and inside was around 70 and there was a lot of Condensation. I opened one of the vents slightly, and wiped off the condensation from the windows ...

Hopefully I am going again after this weekend and will keep an eye on the water leak spots ! Obviously sealing things properly is the only defense these trailers have against leaks. You would think They would come up with something else in addition to the caulking to prevent water damage. But then again I am an engineer, and think slightly differently then folks who just want to make trailers and get rich. Probably no one would want a 9000 Lbs empty trailer WHICH never leaked ! LOL
I hear you, I am also an engineer and I shake my head at what some RV manufacturers do. I am however impressed with Carriage, New Horizon and Tiffin. But none of those are in the short term budget!
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #39

Slide out awning is on the list too as a preventative measure...guess I need to call Forest River direct and chat about some of the corrective measures to my trailer! If they are willing to help with warranty replacement parts with me handling the labor, that's better than what a dealer can offer at this time!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #40

I am definitely getting a sldie out awning this spring .... I do not know if it will help with leaks at all, BUT, I know I will not have to sweep it clean after every camping trip .... It is too much of a trouble to have to do it everytime.

My dealer asks around 700 bucks for one ... How are the prices where you are ?

Tags
surveyor