Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #1

Need some help folks Cable/Sat/Aux Choices 200MBLE

New trailer and I thank many of you for your kind tips and sharing. I have learned a lot on these forums. So photos attached. I have inside the trailer next to the TV I installed a selection that allows for coaxial cable to be hooked up to Aux/Sat first then under it TV. There is a booster switch that lights up and improves reception on radio and I assume DIGITAL TV. So this weekend I tried to hook up cable at RV Park which supplied me with a digital box. I hooked up coaxial cable outside from RV park source to "CABLE" on side of trailer. Inside trailer I ran coaxial cable from TV to RF in on digtial box and from digital box to back of TV. Didn't work. Satellite it appears to me would be a simple hook up from outside trailer SATELLITE then from AUX/SAT in trailer to TV. Hope I am making sense. Any idea/comments with thanks. Len from BC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aux Sat TV Inside.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	212830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable  Satellite Outside.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	212831  
lmeilleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #2

Your TV should only be hooked to RF out and the cable from the outside should be hooked up to RF in. the antenna booster should be off.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #3

lmeilleur:

Your post makes some sense but is choppy.

In general, the booster with the green light has a couple things routed through it: The antenna and the cable/satellite outside port. You are correct that while running on antenna, the green light should be lit and the TV and radio get better reception.

When you have coax connected to the cable/satellite port, turn off the booster (green light off) and the TV will run on cable or satellite but the radio reception will likely be poor and the TV will not get antenna channels.

One thing to keep in mind is that your TV needs to be reprogrammed each and every time you make a change of location or input. Depending on what you're running on, you'll have to change the TV from "Air" to "Cable" and vice versa and then do an autoscan to find the channels that are being received.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Len,
It would seem that your connections as you explained them 'should' have given you cable channels provided you had the antenna booster LED/push button OFF, and that you rescanned the tv for cable once connected.

The push button actually does TWO things... it supplies voltage to the rooftop antenna booster (built into the antenna) AND it switches the input of the connector on the faceplate from rooftop antenna (when LED is on) to the outside cable port. (when the LED is off)

The sat/aux port on the faceplate is what they call a 'home run' meaning, no splitters between the outside port marked Satellite and the inside connection marked AUX/SAT. You can not have any splitters in the feed wire when using a satellite receiver/dish as the receiver passes current to the dish and a typical splitter blocks this.

As a side note, you can also connect the parks cable to the outside satellite port and then connect the supplied cable box to the inside AUX/SAT port and then your tv to the box. In this case it would not matter about the LED/push button as it would be unhooked when you connect your tv to the port where that connection was but there is really no need to do this when all is working as it should, the button is in the proper position and you have scanned your tv properly.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

Because you have the digital box from the park to use their cable system, I think you should consider the incoming signal as if it is from a satellite dish. So connect to satellite in on outside and then connect from satellite inside to the cable box. The out of the digital box to the TV. You may not be able to use multiple TV's with this connection scheme. Will be following this thread to see how in plays out.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #6

Smile Thank you Folks

You folks are great. I will try these things you suggested and thank you.
lmeilleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #7
Happy Camper

When I hook up my Dish receiver to the Satellite input cable, I use a HDMI cable from receiver to TV to avoid confusion.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable