Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 AM   #1

New SP-240

We just bought a new SP-240, went back to relook at the SP-230 and were immediately sold on the SP-240 that had just came on the lot. I am pretty satisfied that my Tahoe can handle the weight of this unit easily enough, after spending a few hours reading the forum, checking specs on both my vehicle and the TT...... Before I go to pick it up, I want to make sure I am doing the right thing on WD and sway control.

What I am having difficulty in determining what hitch to use. The dealer is advocating putting on an EAZ Lift WD hitch with a friction anti-sway bar. He says it performs better than a Reese dual cam. More hours of searching the internet, and they all begin to blur, with only three types: the Hensley, the pull rite under vehicle hitch, and the WD hitches with anti sway bar. I have eliminated the first two due to cost and complexity, I am trying to get some feedback on the basic WD hitches, and the anti-sway systems. Is the dual cam system offered by Reese, Blue Ox and others better than a single friction one?

My previous experience was with a 39' fifth wheel and 3500 silverado with duramax and allison, so going to a Tahoe and 4600lb dry weight trailer is a bit different.... I just want to feel safe with the shorter wheel base.

Any help would be appreciated!

2009 Chev Tahoe
2011 Surveyor Sport SP-240
19xx Wife
2008 Havanese

Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #2

Hello, GB44.

Welcome to FRF.

The only WD/Anti-Sway I can comment on is the Equal-i-zer. I've used it on two trailers with great success. That's not to say there are better hitches out there.
If you can afford it, from what I've heard, the Hensley or Pro-Pull are at the top of the WD/Anti-Sway game. With your tow vehicle's short wheel base, that may be the safest way to go.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If it were me, I would stay away from the friction style anti-sway bars, and stick with integrated sway controllers like the Reese Dual Cam, Equalizer, or Blue Ox.

I agree with Mike, that the Hensley or Pro Ride are top of the line (if you can afford them), and should work great with your setup.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #4

Good advice, stick with integrated sway control, WD hitches. I have an Equalizer and do not regret a cent I spent on it.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I agree with Mike, that the Hensley or Pro Ride are top of the line (if you can afford them), and should work great with your setup.

I assume you meant Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P.....big $$$$ for sure.

I've been doing fine with my simple Reese RB2 but the 2500HD Duramax does help in that department. I do hate the simple friction control because it is not adjustable on the fly but it does help. I find the way to stop bad sway (ie over what the friction setup can't handle) in a pinch is to just apply the trailer brakes on the controller for a second and the rear will straighten right out again.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl4 View Post
I assume you meant Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P.....big $$$$ for sure.
Yes.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 AM   #7

Thanks for all of your inputs, I'll not be picking it up for a week or so, still have not made up my mind, going to look at them and see what is readily available. I will post results once I do....

This is a great forum, I learned a lot reading through it, and picked up some pretty good ideas looking at pictures of modifications that milzat (Mike) made to his travel trailer. I really like the idea of the bug screens, makes a lot of sense.

Gene

2009 Chev Tahoe
19xx Wife
2008 Havanese
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB44 View Post
We just bought a new SP-240, went back to relook at the SP-230 and were immediately sold on the SP-240 that had just came on the lot. I am pretty satisfied that my Tahoe can handle the weight of this unit easily enough, after spending a few hours reading the forum, checking specs on both my vehicle and the TT...... Before I go to pick it up, I want to make sure I am doing the right thing on WD and sway control.

What I am having difficulty in determining what hitch to use. The dealer is advocating putting on an EAZ Lift WD hitch with a friction anti-sway bar. He says it performs better than a Reese dual cam. More hours of searching the internet, and they all begin to blur, with only three types: the Hensley, the pull rite under vehicle hitch, and the WD hitches with anti sway bar. I have eliminated the first two due to cost and complexity, I am trying to get some feedback on the basic WD hitches, and the anti-sway systems. Is the dual cam system offered by Reese, Blue Ox and others better than a single friction one?

My previous experience was with a 39' fifth wheel and 3500 silverado with duramax and allison, so going to a Tahoe and 4600lb dry weight trailer is a bit different.... I just want to feel safe with the shorter wheel base.

Any help would be appreciated!

2009 Chev Tahoe
19xx Wife
2008 Havanese
I have the setup that your dealership is trying to sell you. I have a 120" wheelbase vehicle, a surveyor 235 rks (25'=10" tip to end of spare...) with a large rear slide. This is a great setup if done properly. I have the two sway options for really windy days. Sway control is not a fix for a bad setup. If you can't tow it without sway control you shouldn't. Sway control will make your trip safer but proper setup is key. If you have any more questions just ask!

happy camping,
Old 10-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
I have the setup that your dealership is trying to sell you. I have a 120" wheelbase vehicle, a surveyor 235 rks (25'=10" tip to end of spare...) with a large rear slide. This is a great setup if done properly. I have the two sway options for really windy days. Sway control is not a fix for a bad setup. If you can't tow it without sway control you shouldn't. Sway control will make your trip safer but proper setup is key. If you have any more questions just ask!

happy camping,
Thanks for the input. By proper setup, I assume you mean getting the WD hitch set up properly and adjusted correctly. Am I correct? Then you say you have two sway options for really windy days. Two sway options? If I may ask, what are they?

I am probably belaboring this too much, I figure even if I load 1500 lbs in the TT, which would bring it up to 6,000 lbs, I will still have a 30% safety margin under the tow rating (8200 lbs). I have pulled a 15,000 lb 40' fifth wheel all over the western states, but no experience with a trailer on a hitch. So I am just trying to make sure I am set up properly so I can relax and enjoy the trip.

So I appreciate your feedback, and I am getting anxious for the time we can get on the road!

Regards,
19xx wife
2007 Havanese
GB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB44 View Post
Thanks for the input. By proper setup, I assume you mean getting the WD hitch set up properly and adjusted correctly. Am I correct? Then you say you have two sway options for really windy days. Two sway options? If I may ask, what are they?

I am probably belaboring this too much, I figure even if I load 1500 lbs in the TT, which would bring it up to 6,000 lbs, I will still have a 30% safety margin under the tow rating (8200 lbs). I have pulled a 15,000 lb 40' fifth wheel all over the western states, but no experience with a trailer on a hitch. So I am just trying to make sure I am set up properly so I can relax and enjoy the trip.

So I appreciate your feedback, and I am getting anxious for the time we can get on the road!

Regards,
Sorry for not being clear. Yes, the proper setup being correct ball height on your vehicle, proper size w.d. bars, proper number of links etc. I should have said that I have two sway control balls on the hitch to which I can connect two friction sway controllers - recommended for trailers 25' and over. I am right at 25' but the extra sway controller is nice on terribly windy days... like the day I saw a TT on it's side on the 401 in Ontario!

I can't help with your specific vehicle but if it doesn't feel right the first time out it probably isn't. Will the dealership let you test tow his setup? This would be ideal. You would know exactly what you are buying. You will have to pay more attention as to how you load the trailer. I try not to put too many things behind the rear axles in the trailer to cut down the pendulum effect.

happy camping,

Tags
surveyor