Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #1

New SP240RBS Owner

We are the new owners of a 2015 SP240. Our previous camp trailer was a 2001 Prowler 22 ft. The SP240 is big upgrade for us. Our old trailer had a cramped double bed in the rear corner next to a small bathroom, and we did not like that at all. So many things better about this one!!

First of all, we now have a slide out, albeit a small one. We actually did not want a deep slide, because we store the trailer in our yard with no room to put out the slide, and we wanted to still be able to get in load and unload without putting the slide out. A lot of the other trailers we looked at preclude this.

We really like the front bed room with the pocket doors and the queen bed!! So much nicer than our old bed!! We also like the space and storage in the bathroom on this one, the bathroom is one of the nicest we found on a unit in this size range.

The outside kitchen is definitely going to be nice and I can't wait to use it!! It wasn't the biggest reason we selected this unit, but its a nice feature, and again very nice for a trailer this size!!

We now have a power tongue jack and lighted awning!! Getting set up is going to be much easier! On our old trailer, we had to store lawn chairs inside on the collapsed dinette. On this unit, there is plenty of room in the pass through for them.

Probably this biggest drawback we have found on this unit is the storage in the kitchen, and my wife is just not thrilled about that. I am working on making it better, I have ordered two rolling slideout drawers for the cabinets about the dinette to make them easier to access, and a sliding basket for the bottom of the pantry as well. Those should help some.

One thing I am not sure why they did on the 2015 model vs. the 2014 we looked at is to change the TV setup. Our unit has two 28" TV's, one in the front of the entertainment center and one in the bedroom. The 2014 had one TV that pivoted around and could be viewed from either side. The only drawback to our setup is that the bedroom TV does not seem to be hooked up to the DVD player. We did get a soundbar with it, and I do like the fact there is spot on the outside to mount and hook up the TV.

Another feature I really like vs. our old one is the ducted air conditioning. Its much more comfortable that the old one that blew straight out of the ceiling unit. I like the vaulted ceiling on this trailer too, they make it feel roomier inside. Our unit also has keyless entry and the Arctic package with heated holding tanks. That wasn't a big selling point for us as we are three season campers and don't use it in extremely cold weather. We do like the fold down storage rack on the back though, that's a handy feature we plan to get some use out of.
Mad Dog 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #2

Congrats on your new Surveyor!
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #3

We have the same trailer Mad Dog! We do not have a swivel tv and we did not receive a tv on bdrm side either. Did you receive a portable BBQ with yours? We LOVE the propane quick connect located at the frame under the outdoor kitchen although we did purchase a longer quick connect hose to keep it further away from the outdoor kitchen area ( which we also really enjoy!). Although we are very happy with the storage in the bathroom area, I agree with your wife on the lack of storage in the kitchen area. I keep a minimum of pots/pans/dishes in the cupboards above the dinette and do a lot of cooking on the BBQ whenever possible using foil/foil containers. On EBay I found some spice container holders that I was able to mount on the wall and store my spices there ( freeing cupboard space).... We are happy with the slide size and overall options which are all perfect for the two of us. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
leateix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #4

We did not get a BBQ with ours. Not sure why some seem to have it and some don't? I had some sliding shelves made for the cupboard above the dinette, and found a metal sliding basket for the pantry, which should help. Just need to install them.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
DnJ

Hi Mad Dog, We have 2011 SP 240, and have been very pleased with it. In the first year, the bearings on the slide out broke, but were replaced under warranty. So far, they have been okay. The cupboards over the dinette were a problem for my wife - they open right in your face. I found you can rotate them 180 degrees, and that resolved the problem. The drain hose on the kitchen sink broke in the second year due to the slide out action being too severe. A plumber friend reengineered the set up with a longer flexible drain, and so far that has been satisfactory. The Concertone CD, DVD went belly up also in the second year, I replaced it a Jensen unit. The sound quality is much better. We also replaced the stock mattress. This is the tenth RV we have owned since 1977, and in spite of the problems listed above, it has been the most trouble free. We really like the bathroom set up and storage, and the outside galley is great for family get togethers and cooking fish. My suggestion is to buy the extended warranty when you can.

DnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #6

Hi mad dog we bought a 2014 275 sport, I did like the 240 with kitchen but my wife liked the slide with the couch and yes i did like all the cupboards in the kitchen two pantries and lots of drawers the bathroom is very big with again two large cupboards , mind you this unit is a wee bit bigger than the 240 but we did want all the storage space which influenced our decesion Im sure you will enjoy the outside kitchen i really would have liked it the slide toppers heated tanks led awning lights the rounded ceilings the tv mount outside gave us quite a bang for our bucks so i sure you will love the suyveyor 240 as we love our new 275
buckaroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #7

We have the 2013 240 Sports with the outside kitchen and swivel TV. We added a set of speakers over the bed on channel C, so we could hear the movie sound track while watching tv in bed with the AC running. Ours came with the grill under the bed which is the best thing about the accessories. So far we have had no problems and have loved our camper, we had an R-pod before this camper and it was great also. We use part of the huge space under the bed for kitchen appliance storage, we did find in the beginning that some times we had to try different storage ideas. Currently we keep kitchen bags and dish towels In one of the drawers in the bathroom that me be we have dedicated one whole drawer to spices. Good look with your camping.

(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #8

Either they dropped the BBQ, or the dealer stole ours, because there was not one under the bed. And I found out the hard way that a regular BBQ won't work, after paying $45 for a hose to connect it to the fitting under the outside kitchen. I thought the swivel TV was cool but on ours (2015) they switched to two TV's, one in the bedroom and one in the living area. No clue why. Yes, we have to keep a few things in the bathroom too, and I also put a sliding basket in the pantry on the bottom and slides in two of the cabinets above the dinette to make them easier to get to.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #9

That cabinet under the dinnet is almost useless unless you get down on your knees. I think I am going to replace it with two drawers or maybe a box with rollers on it behind the cabinet door. I know the lid under the cushion lifts up but that takes moving the bolster and the cushion to really get into it. We currently keep cookie sheets, 9" x 12" casserole dish and the dog food in there. Needs some work to make it a useable space. Anyone else love lighting the oven when your In your sixties and your bifocals don't seem to work when your head is upside down. We have found that fireplace matches work better than that butane wand that is impossible to keep lite. LOL guess I am sounding like an old fuddy duddy. We really do love our camper.

(2011-42)
Old 12-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #10

Cmmjmoore, You Sir, are not a fuddy duddy. You are just saying what I should be saying on our Sp260. I too have been thinking about doing something with the cabinet under the dinette. If you get around to it before I come up with something useful, please do post with pictures. We use it for shoe storage but a pull out with slides sounds like a nifty little project.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #11

That spot on ours does not even have a door. You can only get to it by lifting the dinette cushion and the board under it. We have the dutch oven and extra trash/dog poo bags in there.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #12

Mad Dog 7.62- could you not go back to the dealer and tell them the quick connect BBQ is missing, or call Forest Eiver?
We have a 2015 SP240 as well and only 1 TV which is a fixed mount..In reading different threads, I notice that there are different things added to some, and not others of the same model...we also don't have an access panel to that spot under the dinette seat but only use it to store bottled water and our out side tablecloth, etc

leateix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #13

I found that a lettuce box from Costco is just the right size for under the dinette, not as cool as a custom made drawer on rollers but works. The box is double sided and has built in handle holes so you just reach down and slide it out. Holds a bunch of kitchen ware. Wife took an interim 6 month position in a school district 300 miles from where we live and it has been interesting living in the RV which we only used for two weeks at a time before this.
(2011-42)