Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #1

New Surveyor 186 Sport

Just picked my new 186 sport this Saturday. First trailer of my own but camped for years as a kid. Trailers sure have come a long way. Towing with a 2005 Jeep Liberty. First trip 10 hours from the dealer to home. Jeep towed at 65 no problem. Picked up the unit form Country Roads RV in Lexington North Carolina. Speced out and ordered the unit all through the internet. Including 600/6000 Equalizer hitch. Showed up Saturday morning 9 am off the lot by noon. Dealer installed and set up hitch. Dealing with Jeff Zimmerman the owner and lead salesman was a great experience. He held to his word. His tech Mike also was a stand up guy who walked me through the entire unit. I would definatley suggest them if you are looking. Camped one night so far no issues except for one. The gears on the tounge jack stripped out. Low and behold they are plastic! I will contact Forest River to see if they can swap the broken one for a new one. I will let everyone know how that turns out. Seems a little chinsey though. Once I start reading the manuals I am sure to have some questions.

Thank You to everyone who posts, I was able to do a lot of research and answer alot of questions I had just by reading.
KegStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #2

Hi KegStealer,
Welcome to the forum AND to your new Surveyor. It's great that you had a dealer that was so helpful for your PDI and walk through. You'll find a lot of good people here also. Any questions that you may have, just ask.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegStealer View Post
Camped one night so far no issues except for one. The gears on the tounge jack stripped out. Low and behold they are plastic! I will contact Forest River to see if they can swap the broken one for a new one. I will let everyone know how that turns out. Seems a little chinsey though.
My dealer has already replaced my tongue jack under warranty.......it was binding up.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #4

Get a Barker Power jack, in 15 minuites you'll be in love with your trailer ALL over again!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #5

We just bought our new 2010 Surveyor SP 186 and can't wait to get out and camp! We still have fire season to contend with here in California. We'll be towing with my 2004 Toyota Tacoma (3.4L V-6) and am anxious to see how it performs going over Hwy 299 between Redding and the coast......
Fishfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #6

Fishfireguy you should be fine with the Tacoma, I am pulling a SV210 with a Honda Ridgeline. It does fine - but probably will not try the mountains with it. Just hard to get used to that V6 spinning at 4k pulling a hill - although it generally speeds up on the hills when it gets in its power band. Just got back from a 400 mi round trip to the beach, about 9-10 MPG WHEW!
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #7

Kegstealer, our 210 came from CRRVC as well. Jeff and his wife are good people; he seems to be good on price too. He convinced me to get the Equalizer 600/6000 like you have and it has been good. Mike in service is good, we like Tom a little better but they are both ok. My jack has been fine, had some trouble with the table (leg came off) and an LP tank (valve stuck shut). They took care of the table and tried to fix the LP valve. When I got the tank back, it was still stuck - took it to a local LP dealer and let them fix it.
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor