Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 08-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

New Surveyor SP-189

Tomorrow I pick up my new 2013 SP-189. This is not my first or even my only RV.

I have a 28ft trailer I use on trips with extended family. I wanted something smaller that I could take on trips by myself and not deal with such a big trailer up in the mountains, state parks and undeveloped places. Thought the 189 was perfect for that. Am having it outfitted with extra battery, perko switch and two fantastic fans. I think I could be off-grid for 3 or 4 days at a time easy. Also have a small Yamaha generator I could bring if longer or want to run AC.

Am I nuts to have more than one RV? Not financed and I keep my toys in a warehouse, not out in the weather.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Tomorrow I pick up my new 2013 SP-189. This is not my first or even my only RV.

I have a 28ft trailer I use on trips with extended family. I wanted something smaller that I could take on trips by myself and not deal with such a big trailer up in the mountains, state parks and undeveloped places. Thought the 189 was perfect for that. Am having it outfitted with extra battery, perko switch and two fantastic fans. I think I could be off-grid for 3 or 4 days at a time easy. Also have a small Yamaha generator I could bring if longer or want to run AC.

Am I nuts to have more than one RV? Not financed and I keep my toys in a warehouse, not out in the weather.
Not crazy if it fits into your budget. I can see why having a smaller unit could come in handy. One of my co-workers had two RVs for several years but with two monthly payments.

Enjoy and have fun.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab

Camping History: 37 Trips / 110 Nights / 3162 Miles
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #3

Had my PDI and got the trailer home yesterday. Now issues and everything looked great. Went out to Costco and Walmart to buy all the stuff to outfit it. Saturday was a tax free holiday, so the stores were crazy!

Tows great behind my Suburban. Do not need sway control or a WD hitch setup. That was a relief as I want to keep this one as simple as possible. I was concerned that I'd be a bit hitch heavy and need the weight distribution hitch.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #4

I found early on in a month long tripthat a fan over the bed in my new 189 would be nice. Are they pre-wired to accept a fantastic fan?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

Not really.

The tech told me he ran the wires over to a nearby light fixture for the power. Said there were access ways in the ceiling for such things.

They really did a good job on it - can't tell it didn't come that way. In addition to the fan over the bed, we did the bathroom too.

Not cheap though - $400 for the parts and 1.5 hrs labor.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #6

Report back from maiden voyage

Took my first trip with my new trailer. Went to a lovely campground near Linville on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I think my loaded weight is around 4200lbs, as my Suburban really struggled up 226. It was VERY steep - should have ignored my GPS and went the way I knew to go. The way back was a less hilly route, and much more pleasant.

When I got to camp, they told me there was a better space due to a no-show. Of course I pull in and it's next to giant diesel motorcoaches with their generators clambering away. Course nobody is outside. So I look around and go down near where the tent campers are. What a fun group they were, and of course no generators. I was able to go all weekend on my batteries except for about 30 mins with my Yamaha - gotta have my coffee in the AM! Sadly it's my only device that needs juice - wish there was a better alternative. I may get an inverter - the single serve brewer I have is only 500 watts. Someone has suggested using the Starbucks Via instant coffee - so you just heat a teapot on the stove - I may give that a try.

Trailer checked out great. Nothing broken or malfunctioned. Spent most of the weekend organizing things and putting stuff together. I am concerned about this small shower though - seems hard to keep the water from splashing all over the bathroom floor - may need to get a better curtain or try to find some kind of hard enclosure - but not sure one is made as it's only 24" on each side. Didn't need AC, as it was in the 60's by dark. Didn't even need to run the fantastik fan either since it was so cool. Btw, there was a nice couple there with a T@B. It was really cool and alot of the tent campers were admiring it. They also liked my propane campfire - several stopped by to inquire about it.

I did change out my interior lights for LED. They are pretty bright, about 200 lumens, but no match for the incandescents - left a couple as reading lights and the one over the mirror in the bath. I had bought 4 big plastic bins to use in my outside compartment - they fit just perfectly and there is still room for my canopy, grill, small frp propane bottle, etc. Organized the bins for sewer, electrical, hoses and misc. I also mounted a bolt-on bumper 2" receiver. I have a storage box on order that hopefully I can put lawn chairs and my generator in. I came away from the weekend with a couple projects to do - I need a better grill - the one I have is just sad - and I want to install an inverter.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
.... I am concerned about this small shower though - seems hard to keep the water from splashing all over the bathroom floor - may need to get a better curtain or try to find some kind of hard enclosure - but not sure one is made as it's only 24" on each side....
To keep my floor dry I placed the body wash or shampoo container on top of the shower curtain edge to keep it flat against the shower frame ledge. I also stand back towards the inside corner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower image  IMG01519-20120331-0822.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	18054

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab

Camping History: 37 Trips / 110 Nights / 3162 Miles
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #8

I put in clear acrylic shower guards I glued to each corner with the clear sealant that came with them. They did not butt up against the wall straight; so where it gapped slightly I just filled it in with clear caulk. No more water on the floor Ordered them off of Amazon.com. They look very nice. The shower pan seems to be too shallow. I also replaced the shower curtain with a heavy duty one. We used the shower one time and I got to wash the floor in the entire camper right after!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
Not such a Junior anymore

For coffee, we boil water, and have a drip coffee thing that makes 4 cups based on a #2 filter. Works great, and since the water gets REALLY hot, its better than any electric.

Found this a CVS, and drips into a stainless carafe.

Name:   CoffeeTop.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  16.1 KB
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #10

BB2: Which exact brand shower guards did you purchase? Would you please link me to the product on Amazon since I have the same issue in my shower stall? Also, the shower curtain clips I saw on Amazon look useful as well. Thanks!