Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #11

The brochure weights are the weight of the unit before they install ANY options. Options are things like Air conditioner, awning, propane cylinders and the weight of the gas in them etc. I know, does not make sense, but a lot of the stuff we take granted in the rv's are actual options, even the microwave, oven etc. So if a unit's published dry weight is say 4,000 Lbs, expect it to actually weigh roughly 4,500 Lbs dry as we see them. We call them dry because it has none of our personal stuff in it yet. Factory's dry is with no options.

As you can see, this causes confusion. So Forest river actually weigh the unit on the way out of the factory and put a sticker on the unit with the ACTUAL weigth of THAT particular unit with ALL the options installed on it. That number does not get published as dry weight becaue it is more or less different for each one.

For example, my unit's dry weight on the brochure IIRC is 4,395 Lbs. But it left the factory at 4,890 Lbs. And that is the actual dry weight with all options .....

I guess we had a miscummunication somewhere, they do NOT weigh it before order is completed . Published dry weight is not the actual dry weight ..... It is much less ...

Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #12

Good, that is what I thought, my sticker says 4829 and if I added 5 or 600 to that, I would be in trouble.......

Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #13

Pheewwww, I am off the hook
Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
The brochure weights are the weight of the unit before they install ANY options. Options are things like Air conditioner, awning, propane cylinders and the weight of the gas in them etc. I know, does not make sense, but a lot of the stuff we take granted in the rv's are actual options, even the microwave, oven etc. So if a unit's published dry weight is say 4,000 Lbs, expect it to actually weigh roughly 4,500 Lbs dry as we see them. We call them dry because it has none of our personal stuff in it yet. Factory's dry is with no options.

As you can see, this causes confusion. So Forest river actually weigh the unit on the way out of the factory and put a sticker on the unit with the ACTUAL weigth of THAT particular unit with ALL the options installed on it. That number does not get published as dry weight becaue it is more or less different for each one.

For example, my unit's dry weight on the brochure IIRC is 4,395 Lbs. But it left the factory at 4,890 Lbs. And that is the actual dry weight with all options .....

I guess we had a miscummunication somewhere, they do NOT weigh it before order is completed . Published dry weight is not the actual dry weight ..... It is much less ...
There is a sticker with the total weight of the unit on the door in my trailer. It started out at 3800lbs. approx. but with the "packages" ( read the fine print in the brochure, it actually tells the weight of each package ) it ended up at 4650lbs. approx. Again, Surveyor does disclose this information, you just have to read everything to figure it out! I have taken my trailer to the scales and found out that it weighed around 5000lbs. without groceries or clothing. That included everything else, even the kitchen sink

Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #15

The yellow sticker on the door is what you should go by as it will have all the specifics related to your trailer included in the weight. Other things to factor into the total weight when towing are your tanks like fresh water, sewer and propane. You can end up being as much as 30% higher in the real world than what is published in the brochure weights. Many people miss this when shopping and it can make for an unpleasant towing experience later. I know it confused me back when I was looking for mine so I just wanted to reiterate how important it is to size the trailer to the tow vehicle.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #16

The trailer we had negotiated on had an out the door weight of 5180 lbs. This weight was specified on the yellow sticker on entry door. The trailer that the dealer tried to give us only weighed 5063lbs as specified on the door. I believe the weight in the brochure for both trailers is just over 4600lbs.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #17

So I finally took possession of my new SP295. Unfortunately it is the third trailer and third serial number I have had to provide my insurance broker.

Trailer number one was the wrong trailer. Dealer says we will have trailer number 2 ready in 3 weeks when I come back down. I phone to make sure it is ready (in particular that repairs have been made to a broken tub surround). They inform me that tub surround is not fixed and will be another 5 weeks before a new one arrives.

So I am not happy. Trailer number 3 comes into picture. They offer me an identical trailer, but I am skeptical after trailer number 1. I tell them to inspect it and have it ready for when I come. It needs to be 100% ready to camp. If it is not the same or not ready, deal is off.

Go to my appointment this morning assured all is ready to go. Start going over the trailer including running water in the kitchen sink. Go outside trailer and notice water dripping from the slide. Question staff about it and they start to investigate it. Turns out it had some plumbing issues beyond basic tightening of the p trap connections. 2 hours later it is fixed.

Talk to manager about it and he assures me that they take delivery of 400 trailers a year ( seems high) and a small percentage fall through the cracks when they do the delivery inspection.

Well their delivery inspections are 0/3. Trailer one did not match the spec sheet that it came with. Trailer 2 was delivered with broken tub surround. Manager states that normally the surround would be ordered that day. Trailer 3 obv had no inspection of the basic plumbing system.

Let this be a lesson to all new RV buyers that are waiting for delivery. When it gets to your dealer and they say they have inspected it, don't take their word for it. Go through every little thing before you sign for it

Tags