Old 04-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

New Surveyor SP295

After borrowing a friends TT last year, we caught the camping bug. Wife and I searched for months for a decent used trailer but with the Canadian dollar being at par, we could not find anything of value that a new trailer could give for a few thousand more.

Seems in Northern Alberta most people selling used can't move on price as they owe more than the trailer is worth. One person had a 2007 Surveyor and still owed over $20,000 but was asking 17,000.

So we went all out and bought an early edition 2011 SP 295 with the outdoor kitchen. We have out PDI in two weeks then have to wait for the mountains of snow to melt to get out on our first trip.

Been lurking in the forums for the past week and have been learning lots.

Here is hoping it does not snow for three years in a row on May Long Weekend.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new trailer ! That is a pretty good sized trailer, what are you going to tow it with ?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #3

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new camper. Hope you have many fun trips with it!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph
Congratulations on your new trailer ! That is a pretty good sized trailer, what are you going to tow it with ?
Pulling with an F150 with factory HD tow package (trans. Cooler. Etc.). Dealer is including a 600lb equalizer hitch for when we pick it up.

Went with the surveyor for it's lighter weight compared to other brands. With options factory weighed it at 5185lbs dry.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

I would have that equalizer changed to a 1,000-1,200 lbs for sure ..... That is not going to cut it, in my humble opinion.

The trailer will leave the factory at about 5,700 Lbs, and if you put around 1,300 lbs of stuff in it, you will have lets say a trailer weight of 7,000 Lbs ... A typical %15 tongue weight will be around 1050 Lbs ... at %10 minimum, 700 Lbs.

I am sure others will chime in if I am wrong..... I am sorry I am bringing this up but better be prepared and get the stuff you need to safely tow the trailer ... That IS a big trailer you have, best to play it safe ...
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #6

The trailer was purchased from the dealers existing inventory. They had ordered several of these trailers in late 2010 for delivery before their big show. Trailer has the weight sticker from factory of 5180 pounds on the entry door.

I will talk to dealer about the sizing of the equizer.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #7

That is the empty weight before any options are added, typically they come out of the factory around 500-600 lbs heavier.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #8

Today was PDI and pick up day. Dealer staff prepped and cleaned trailer for us. We started our 2 hour orientation of the different features of the trailer. All was going well until we reached the awning.

Staff starts to explain how to manually extend awning etc. I stop him and ask where the switch is for the electric awning. He explains it is not electric but manual. I explain that we bought one with an electric awning. We look inside and see there is a curtain separating the queen bed from the rest of trailer. I tell him that the one we bought has an accordion divider.

Salesman comes out and is pretty sure this is the one we bought and looked at. I explain I was pretty sure it had the options. He goes away and comes back later with GM. They found the problem. Apparantly they had bought 5 SP295 from FR which were off of the same run. They put one on lot (the one we had originally looked at) and the rest in storage.

One of the 5 was not what they had ordered. They had put it away without looking at specs and looking at the trailer.

In any case, we are getting the trailer we wanted and negotiated on but have to pick it up 3 weeks from now when I can make it back down again. (live 6 hours away).

Lesson learned.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing I think you could have done differently to prevent this in what sounds like a very strange circumstance.

I think you did the right thing delaying in order to get the one you really want and those three weeks of anticipation will go by in no time.

By the way - love that floor plan.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #10

Goomph, I am not sure that the dry weight is before any options are added. I don't understand why the factory would build the base unit and weigh it before the order is completed. It makes sense to me that they would build it as ordered and weigh it on the way out. Just sayin'.........

Tags