Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
That's not correct. The manufacturer provides the dealer with a certificate of origin which states the model year of the vehicle or RV as assigned by the manufacturer. The certificate of title is submitted to the State's DMV for assignment of the certificate of title to the new owner. The dealer cannot change the model year without committing forgery.

Yes, the 10th digit of the VIN is the year model assigned by the manufacturer. It has nothing to do with the sale date.

https://support.alldata.com/alldata-...-to-year-chart

There usually is absolutely no confusion when discussing travel trailers...but when it's a motorhome where the manufacturer buys the chassis and then puts a box in it, then you can have two VIN's (one for the chassis, and one for the completed motorhome) that sometimes a DMV gets out of whack.

To the OP, you stated it was a TT. The VIN is on the frame and most likely inside a cabinet in the RV. Look at the 10th digit of this VIN and then check the link above. THAT is the model year the DMV will assign to the title, whether it's sold today or 10 years from now. All of your vehicles will utilize the same 10th digit VIN code, where you can check the charts for yourself if you don't want to believe this.

Here is what the VIN digits mean from Forest River as per 2009. This may have been updated or is no longer valid, but will give you an idea what all the VIN means including the 10th digit.

ftp://nhtsa.gov/MfrMail/ORG5355.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2!!!
X3!!!!!!!!
Frankly, this sounds like you went in looking for a confrontation or reason to kill this deal.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjacxx View Post
An interesting position to take, if you are/were a dealer.

In my case 2020's were already on this dealers lot but there was no discount for this and I knew it upfront.

If a TT was built in say 2013 and somehow didn't make it to the dealer until 2019 the TT would be titled as a 2019. Remember the manufacturer doesn't tittle them, the dealer does when and in the state he takes procession of the unit. So a buyer conceivably could buy a 2019 titled 2019 TT with 6 yrs of tire life gone?

I realize my extreme example above would never occur but I did find myself paying for 2019 TT with 2018 tires. Roughly 1/6th of their life gone. Tires are dated for a reason and in the case of trailer tires, which are manufactured as such, they wear out in terms of age rather than miles.

I brought the issue to the dealers attention with a number in mind I would accept but the negotiations never made it that far.

My 8 yo grand daughter given the numbers regarding cost of these tires in my area, mount and balance, tax, etc., was able to figure out that I was was giving up 150.00 or so, due their age. This was very close the number I had in my head to settle for.

It's not the dollars that matter that much but its the dealers cavalier attitude toward a returning customer and when upon realizing he was losing a customer over 150.00 he made no effort to reconcile the matter. If an 8 yo can do the math, I certainly can't put any future faith in a dealer can't or won't.

YRMV

Honestly my friend. You will change the tires before they time out.

I see and feel your frustration as I am similar. I want what I pay for and not more or less.

Honestly again...after a few camping trips the tires will no longer sting. Camp on!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 06-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #24

The tires on RVs can have over 2K miles on them if delivered from Indiana to the west coast. They're already used when you buy a new TT or FW but nothing anyone can do. From what I've seen and heard, the delivery guys don't exactly baby the tires either. New cars & trucks on the other hand have almost no mileage on the tires. The RV industry is like no other in so many ways...
Old 06-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
The tires on RVs can have over 2K miles on them if delivered from Indiana to the west coast. They're already used when you buy a new TT or FW but nothing anyone can do. From what I've seen and heard, the delivery guys don't exactly baby the tires either. New cars & trucks on the other hand have almost no mileage on the tires. The RV industry is like no other in so many ways...
Unless they are transported on a low-boy trailer. Mine had only the miles on them that occurred while moving around the lot at the factory and at the dealership. Tread segment edges were still nice and sharp just like they'd come out of the mold.

Maybe tall 5th wheels and super long TT's are towed but the nice thing about using low-boy's is that a single driver can deliver more than one trailer at a time. Even with long TT's it's often possible to put a pop-up or something short on the trailer too, again getting two delivered by one driver.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 06-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
That's not correct. The manufacturer provides the dealer with a certificate of origin which states the model year of the vehicle or RV as assigned by the manufacturer. The certificate of title is submitted to the State's DMV for assignment of the certificate of title to the new owner. The dealer cannot change the model year without committing forgery.

I stand corrected. Thank you.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjacxx View Post
I stand corrected. Thank you.

Excellent. Now that you know how it works and is titled.... the site team is going to close this "vent" thread, since there is no question being asked or anything the members here can really assist you in.

As per the site guidelines:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ork&page=rules

Customer Disputes: This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community. You may post about problems you have with Forest River products in an effort to learn from others with similar issues, however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Forest River, Forest River products, or Forest River owners is strictly forbidden.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, tires