Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #1

Outside replacement speakers

Hey. My outside 25watt stock speakers have been crackling for a while now. I turned down the bass to make it so that doesn't happen. Anyhow I have a Jenson amplifier, and was wondering if anyone on here has replaced their speakers. I've been looking but all the replacement marine speakers need you to cut at least a 4" hole in the side of your trailer. Right now the hole is approximately 1/2" to allow for the wires. The kind of speakers that come stock , mount flush with where the wire connections are. Any suggestions or experiences with this would be great!
gettmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Frankly...we don't ever use our outside speakers because we respect other campers privacy!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #3

Outside replacement speakers

I'd like to hear about a solution to this as well, and I also respect other campers very much! As most of us do.

It doesn't take much volume at all for them to crackle. And we certainly don't crank up to volume to annoy other campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
papesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

We tried ours one time just to see if they worked which they did. As far as we're concerned they wasted money putting them on. Can not think of any good reason for them other than ticking off your neighbors.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #5

I have not had the outside speakers apart or off the camper, so I do not know if just replacing the speaker component and keeping the housing is an option... but if it is this place has a huge selection of speakers and hopefully you can find one that is an exact match...

Dash, Door & Deck Car Speakers in the Car Audio Department at Parts Express | 390

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #6

Well said!
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

did a fast Google search of exterior rv speakers and several turn up with zero clearance. eBay had some ranging in price from $30 to $50. Another site showed an idea mounting box type marine grade speakers under the side to the frame.

For the record, we never use the outside speakers in camp, but store the fiver in the back yard and I will turn them on when I am doing yard work. Not very loud as posted above they sound crappy with any major volume, but they do put out music.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #8

We don't use the speakers while camping because they are a piece of junk but I do the same while at home, I turn the radio on while doing stuff in the yard. You can't turn them up very loud to even hear them or they distort. Junk speakers for sure and I don't have any ideas on replacements either. Thinking about just putting a stereo in the cargo compartment.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #9

I am going out on a limb that with these speakers being surface mount and thin at the same time, the cone is rather small and low quality (.shocked I know) hence the reason they sound so bad. The ones I saw on eBay looked to be full cone speakers that had some type of mounting ring that allowed them to stand off from the wall. Downside is that they stuck out quite a bit.

Cutting a larger hole for just the speaker opens up the world of water/insect/cold air ingress. I know they make solid enclosures that match the shape of a speaker allowing you to seal the hole with the speaker but you have to cut an even larger hole.

My two rubles... I would stick with oem or go with the stand off variety. My awning already hangs out there at least that far and I don't use the speakers enough to justify the brain damage.

Don't they make speakers that connect via Bluetooth?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsails View Post
Frankly...we don't ever use our outside speakers because we respect other campers privacy!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

WOW! big jump to that assumption. Why reply at all??
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We tried ours one time just to see if they worked which they did. As far as we're concerned they wasted money putting them on. Can not think of any good reason for them other than ticking off your neighbors.
MOTOWN in driveway......come on.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Any reason to purchase the speakers that came with your camper. To me they work great.

Personally I enjoy using mine. I listen to XM Radio. When on you can walk away from the TT and cant even hear. Now folks that say they disturb other camper must really crank up. Besides there is usually a quiet time at CG from 10pm to 8am, Also whats the difference if you are using your out side TV connection. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #13

We camped next to a really sweet elderly couple last time out and made friends with the couple next to them. We played cards and had the radio on just enough to listen to and the next morning the elderly couple had no clue we were even up after quiet hours. Just respect others around you and everything is great.

To answer the OP's question though, I'd say any marine grade speaker will suffice your needs

EDIT: Hmmm missed the part about the 4" cutout. Back to the drawing board.
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #14

I use my outside speakers all the time, we keep the volume at a respectable level so others are bothered by it and we turn them off at sun set or of any camping neighbors come back to their site. There have been times we had them on and others come over to just have drinks with us and listen to music.

I'm replacing ours though with kenwood marine speakers. We got them at west marine
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #15
Happy Camper

Outside speakers are an asset when used with the respect mentioned previously.

Soft music, cold beverage of choice in hand, roaring fire in the pit, loved one sharing this in her own zero gravity recliner beside you, no kids/grandkids around, .....

Does it get better than this ???
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #16

Check out "Retro sound" they make surface mount speakers for applications that don't allow for the mounting hole. Crutchfield has them. I just never get any radio reception. Hope I'm never camping next to the fun police who don't like anyone listening to music or otherwise enjoying themselves. Answers like that are what ruin the forum for people looking for answers to the OP question.

2015 Nights Camped 32
2014 Nights Camped 21
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
2014 Cherokee 304 BH
Goose killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #17

We always play easy listening music when we camp not to loud and have never had a complaint? Some people. Back to your questions which is a really good one. I have been thinking about adding two additional speakers either under the camper or getting a couple of weather proof ground speakers the problem I have with the original out door speakers is they are often to high above you for you to hear. We looked at a set of wireless speaker that sit on the ground and I think that is the way we are going to go. That way we can move them over by the fire ring or picnic table and not disturb anyone. Good look in your search.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #18
Happy Camper

I use my (321BHTS -2015) outside speakers at a common sense level that is at, or below, the volume we were using on a portable radio with our previous unit. The equipped outside speakers may be poor quality but they do allow soft music while stoking the fire and enjoying a refreshment of choice.

In case you missed it, the key words are "common sense" when enjoying the great outdoors.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #19

I just some that work. After I replace these awning LEDs the speakers are next.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 AM   #20

Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose killer View Post
Check out "Retro sound" they make surface mount speakers for applications that don't allow for the mounting hole. Crutchfield has them. I just never get any radio reception. Hope I'm never camping next to the fun police who don't like anyone listening to music or otherwise enjoying themselves. Answers like that are what ruin the forum for people looking for answers to the OP question.
Yeah...love it. Well said. Special thanks to "5 Hole" as well for sticking up for the original question.
Love the music. It's part of our camping experience. Thanks to all others as well with the "helpful" advice given.
gettmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement