Old 05-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

Outside replacement speakers

Hey. My outside 25watt stock speakers have been crackling for a while now. I turned down the bass to make it so that doesn't happen. Anyhow I have a Jenson amplifier, and was wondering if anyone on here has replaced their speakers. I've been looking but all the replacement marine speakers need you to cut at least a 4" hole in the side of your trailer. Right now the hole is approximately 1/2" to allow for the wires. The kind of speakers that come stock , mount flush with where the wire connections are. Any suggestions or experiences with this would be great!

Old 07-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

Frankly...we don't ever use our outside speakers because we respect other campers privacy!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #3

Outside replacement speakers

I'd like to hear about a solution to this as well, and I also respect other campers very much! As most of us do.

It doesn't take much volume at all for them to crackle. And we certainly don't crank up to volume to annoy other campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

We tried ours one time just to see if they worked which they did. As far as we're concerned they wasted money putting them on. Can not think of any good reason for them other than ticking off your neighbors.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #5

I have not had the outside speakers apart or off the camper, so I do not know if just replacing the speaker component and keeping the housing is an option... but if it is this place has a huge selection of speakers and hopefully you can find one that is an exact match...

Dash, Door & Deck Car Speakers in the Car Audio Department at Parts Express | 390

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #6

Well said!
Old 07-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

did a fast Google search of exterior rv speakers and several turn up with zero clearance. eBay had some ranging in price from $30 to $50. Another site showed an idea mounting box type marine grade speakers under the side to the frame.

For the record, we never use the outside speakers in camp, but store the fiver in the back yard and I will turn them on when I am doing yard work. Not very loud as posted above they sound crappy with any major volume, but they do put out music.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

We don't use the speakers while camping because they are a piece of junk but I do the same while at home, I turn the radio on while doing stuff in the yard. You can't turn them up very loud to even hear them or they distort. Junk speakers for sure and I don't have any ideas on replacements either. Thinking about just putting a stereo in the cargo compartment.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #9

I am going out on a limb that with these speakers being surface mount and thin at the same time, the cone is rather small and low quality (.shocked I know) hence the reason they sound so bad. The ones I saw on eBay looked to be full cone speakers that had some type of mounting ring that allowed them to stand off from the wall. Downside is that they stuck out quite a bit.

Cutting a larger hole for just the speaker opens up the world of water/insect/cold air ingress. I know they make solid enclosures that match the shape of a speaker allowing you to seal the hole with the speaker but you have to cut an even larger hole.

My two rubles... I would stick with oem or go with the stand off variety. My awning already hangs out there at least that far and I don't use the speakers enough to justify the brain damage.

Don't they make speakers that connect via Bluetooth?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsails View Post
Frankly...we don't ever use our outside speakers because we respect other campers privacy!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

WOW! big jump to that assumption. Why reply at all??

Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement