Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

Pickup up "True" 2014 Surveyor 189

Went and picked up what the dealer calls a "true" 2014 Surveyor 189 yesterday. Guess FR releases the TTs in two batches first in May and then again with some changes in September. Biggest obvious changes are beige front and rear and an arched roof inside for more headroom. Towed great with our Silverado 1500.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	40082  
markly86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #2

Very nice...
Old 09-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #3

Congratulations !!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

Nice looking rig!
aujmr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

Smile

I just looked at some pic's of one with the curved ceiling, nice unit.

And welcome to FRF!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markly86 View Post
Went and picked up what the dealer calls a "true" 2014 Surveyor 189 yesterday. Guess FR releases the TTs in two batches first in May and then again with some changes in September. Biggest obvious changes are beige front and rear and an arched roof inside for more headroom. Towed great with our Silverado 1500.
Very nice unit. But if the manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO) says it is a 2014, then it is a TRUE 2014. Forest River is always making changes and tweaks within a given model year. Our 2014 does not have the strip of LED lights up near the awning...that change was made in June 2013, and our Windjammer was built in March, but we still have a TRUE 2014, 'cause that is what the Missouri title says it is. When we go to trade it, nobody is going to say that it isn't a TRUE 2014 just because the LED lights aren't there.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Travel Trailer Newb

I've got the exact same unit delivered a little less than a couple months ago. Very happy with it... made a few mods, LED lighting, A/C hard starting capacitor, battery cut out switch and security brackets. It's the newer version with curves ceilings too. Not sure what you mean about the beige front and rear. Mine also has the "Arctic Package" which was a big buying personal point for me. I intend to use mine for travel all year around.
My tow vehicle is a 2009 F150 Screw 4x4 5.4L, has plenty of muscle to get it done. I opted for a Andersen WD system with sway control which I'm extremely happy with.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I've got the exact same unit delivered a little less than a couple months ago. Very happy with it... made a few mods, LED lighting, A/C hard starting capacitor, battery cut out switch and security brackets. It's the newer version with curves ceilings too. Not sure what you mean about the beige front and rear. Mine also has the "Arctic Package" which was a big buying personal point for me. I intend to use mine for travel all year around.
My tow vehicle is a 2009 F150 Screw 4x4 5.4L, has plenty of muscle to get it done. I opted for a Andersen WD system with sway control which I'm extremely happy with.
Hi Boxerglocker:

I want to make some of those same mods. I would like info on the A/C capacitor and LED lights you used. The front and rear panels on my rig are a light tan color and the side panels and roof are white. What is a security blanket?
markly86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Travel Trailer Newb

B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers. for the battery lock brackets, very well made and great piece of mind that your batteries don't get subject to a crime of opportunity.

After researching here and elsewhere got the capacitor on Amazon Part No. SPP6 Series PTC Capacitor Combination, Operating Voltage (VAC) 90 - ...: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific made a huge difference with my 2000W Honeywell Inverter generator, which initially couldn't fire up the A/C.
Works now but truthfully, I would never really need it unless possibly on a long road trip stopping for a break at a rest stop and just running the generator for a while on the tailgate of my truck while taking a short nap or having a rest/snack.

The LEDs I took a chance on Ebay and purchased some Chinese ones from a guy in CA that resold them 20 T10 194 921 168 W5W 24 1210 SMD LED Warm White RV Landscaping Light Lamp Bulb | eBay aren't as bright as the incandescent ones that are OEM but definitely are less draw on the batteries which is the whole point for occasional boon docking overnight stays.
I actually like having not so bright overhead interior lights. It's a small trailer, just me and the wife most of the time on short 2-3 night trip, the lighting is just fine for us. I prefer to save the juice to run the TV and watch a movie using the portable inverter.

One additional mod I did was run a double cigarette socket 12vdc plug off the hot wire that powers the slide under the couch. The 12 volt comes in handy to plug in electronics for charging when off the grid.

OH, my trailer is white all around with graphics and black diamond plate up front.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #10

Nice!!!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #11

Love the trailer. The styling is almost identical to our 2013 Surveyor Select 235RKS except for the color. Ours is beige. Make sure you give everything a good test. We've had ours just over a year now and just found out the oven won't lite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
The LEDs I took a chance on Ebay and purchased some Chinese ones from a guy in CA that resold them 20 T10 194 921 168 W5W 24 1210 SMD LED Warm White RV Landscaping Light Lamp Bulb | eBay aren't as bright as the incandescent ones that are OEM but definitely are less draw on the batteries which is the whole point for occasional boon docking overnight stays.
I actually like having not so bright overhead interior lights. It's a small trailer, just me and the wife most of the time on short 2-3 night trip, the lighting is just fine for us. I prefer to save the juice to run the TV and watch a movie using the portable inverter.
I bought the same bulbs but only used them in some select spots where bright lighting isn't required. They sure were a biotch getting them into the socket. Did you have similar problems? My thumb nails were screaming when I was done.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Travel Trailer Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTn_biKer65 View Post
Love the trailer. The styling is almost identical to our 2013 Surveyor Select 235RKS except for the color. Ours is beige. Make sure you give everything a good test. We've had ours just over a year now and just found out the oven won't lite.

I bought the same bulbs but only used them in some select spots where bright lighting isn't required. They sure were a biotch getting them into the socket. Did you have similar problems? My thumb nails were screaming when I was done.
I've had exceptional luck. Run everything several times for the couple weeks before our first trip. No issues so far. I did clean up some of the wiring underneath the couch added a few plastic panduits here and there. The leds were a little difficult to install at first then I figured out pinching the folded wire ends made it a little easier.
I have a couple more mods that I will be doing as time permits. I already pulled the Jensen radio/dvd console out added TV input so my TV sound will play over the speakers. I mounted the TV on a cantilever mount which swings for viewing from either in bed or sitting on the couch. I have a second 19 inch TV that came from our popup that we traded in. I keep stored under the bed for use outside. Its only a few pounds and easier to pull that out rather than move the other back and forth.
One super cheap add on I still need to do is figure out a way to mount blinking blue LED fake alarm indicator so it is clearly seen when locked up. We spend plan to travel to some unfamiliar campgrounds and explore on day trips just a little extra measure to deter those that might think of breaking in while we are away.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #13

Congrats!

Steve and Michele Bassett
2014 Surveyor Select SV305
2005 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 6.0 TurboDiesel
stevengb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor