Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #21

threegr8katz ,

Not to tick you offf or anything, but you realize that this does not solve the leak issue. They are producing leaky trailers and simply routing the water outside. Water which comes into contact with wood while in that seal.

In addition to the seal leaking, I also saw the stands which hold the rollers (on which the slideout rolls in and out) leak a lot too. This mechanism is a what a shade tree mechanic would do and does not stop the leak.

We are being sold defective RV's and paying a fortune for them ! I wish everyone would check their RV's and see if the seal is leaking or if they have the water catch basin like above .....

I am so depressed .... this is so unacceptable.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #22

I am not really seeing where the water will be in contact with the wood? It is sealed up with different rubber seals and where the white one comes in side it is all rubber, that if and when full can and will in MHO drain into the provided basin, as well now that I am aware of your issues I well be on the look out for this and check these areas often. I am sorry you weren't warned of this issue, but I am sure if you had been aware of it you too would have worked around it and check them as often as necessary to avoid water build up and damage.
Unlike your TT mine is next to my house and we will have it covered with a avco cover.

The TT being right outside my home I can check on these areas anytime I want with next to no effort.

The issue is what it is. These trailers are nice, no not perfect but nice and practical for the price paid.

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #23

With all due respect, you realize that, there are trailers out there which has the same cut out slides and does not leak and does not have any contraptions like you found out. They simply do not leak and they are sold for the same price.

My old trail cruiser never leaked from the slide out (Yes I checked lol) and I camped under very hard rain with it several times. So what FR doing is pushing trailers which leak out the door, and making sure you never find out it leaks because they route the leaking water outside.

We are in the same boat here, so I am not criticizing you by any means. They CAN manufacture a unit which does not leak ....It is probably not economically feasible for them. I would have gladly pay another 500-1000 for a unit which does not leak.

Please keep an eye under the roller holders in your unit as they also leak from there. It is usually too late when someone finds the effects of the leak .... My brand new trailer, I am sure is damaged already since June ...I camped two+seven+five days in it total. Few of them under heavy rain. All that water which went God knows where is not good news
Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #24

I hear you, I am thankful for your input. If you have a plan to pursue this further with FR let me know.

nights camped 2010 6
Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #25

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask to take the unit to their factory directly. I already tried one of their dealers and they could not fix it.

Do you want to do yourself a favor ? Tomorrow get a hose, put on a sprayer set it to shower. Set it up so that water gets high up into the air and falls onto the open slide as if it is raining. I would aim for the front part of the slide for the "rain" to fall. Never spray the slide out directly because all of them leak that way. So basically water is being thrown into the air and falls onto the slide. If you can set it on a ladder or if you have a child who can do it, get it going and after 5 minutes get inside and check the area under the rollers and the slide rails for leaks. Do not just look though, get a paper towel and touch the areas you want to be checking. If you do not find water leaking in from around the roller holders and coming through the rails, if and when we meet at a campground, I will treat you to a bunch of beer if one side does not leak I would also check the other side .... Maybe you will be lucky, I hope you will be lucky.

Do those water basins move in and out with the slide ? I am curious ....
Old 11-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #26

threegr8katz. Is that ocean front property made in China.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #27

Caper yours are....... Look over that dealer bought camper that you over paid for.... I am certain that you well find many many parts or parts of parts that are indead made in china.......

buy my ocean front property in Arizona and I well make sure you get a cold drink when you arrive.

nights camped 2010 6
Old 11-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #28

Goomph,

This is going to be the last thing I comment on this with you on this topic.

No the basins are fixed to be in place when the slides are out.

Don't hold your breath, that if you call upset, ranting, that FR will pay and transport your trailer back to the factory for repair, they might I say might do something if you take it there yourself but my guess is they well refer you to yet another dealer for repair.
As for the hose idea, hummmm interesting however our TT has been set up in our drive, slide out it has rained and blown very hard, no sign of water yet.... it is going to rain again today and I well check it out.
I wish you luck. perhaps you have gotten one of the few but they are out there "lemons" maybe you can file a lawsuit or higher an attorney to take action for you on this issue.
once again, thanks, I wish you luck and good day Sir

nights camped 2010 6
Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #29

Oh i see, it was already under rain. You are lucky I guess as you would notice some water coming from the sides too

And you are probably right, I might have hit one of the Friday trailers. A lawyer and courts will cost way too much for this trailer. I contacted my selling dealer again and will see where that takes me. I will probably get it fixed (if it can be) and then decide what I am going to do with it.

Thanks for your good wishes .... Best of luck to all of us RV owners with our units

I will also stop posting on this thread now. I will post what happened once something happens in an update thread.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #30

Just a feedback ..threegr8katz, your trailer is a prototype and is not in general production. It was a test batch they had to contain the water when the slide was pulled in.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
Just a feedback ..threegr8katz, your trailer is a prototype and is not in general production. It was a test batch they had to contain the water when the slide was pulled in.
Goomph,

Did the factory share any additional information about the leakcatchers in this prototype build? I also have them on my 2011 Rockwood 2901ss. Fortunately they have also been dry but I wonder if I should change anything with my seals. How did they fix your trailer?
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #32

The only thing they shared is that it was an experimental thing and Surveyor does not have them yet. It is meant to catch the water which comes in through the sides as the rubber seals fold in.

It is NOT meant for the kind of leaks my slide was experiencing.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #33

Goomph,

Thanks for the update. I hope that you TT is now fixed and remains dry. Happy camping!
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #34

While I don't have a surveyor, I will say that both slides in my Flagstaff 831RLBSS have been in and out around 20 times and not a lick of water evident anywhere.

I also live on Vancouver Island. You wanna talk rain? Brother, we got it!

"One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We've been through every kind of rain there is: little bit of stinging rain, and big old fat rain, rain that flew in sideways, and sometimes rain even seemed to come strait up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night."

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/...le=raining.mp3

The trailer sits in it 24/7 in the driveway. Slides can be in or out depending on whether or not we feel like being in it.

My Flagstaff also has the slide awnings, which may help a bit. We got it with the awnings so we would be able to close it up in the rain and minimize the water, leaves and crud that came inside with the slide roof.

Maybe you just got a dud?

I know that doesn't help any, but it happens......

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #35

Thumbs down

Purchased my 2011 SV-291 in October 2010. I have been reading this forum front to back about issues with this model Surveyor! To date...my slide leaks right side bottom corner closest to bed...four of the plastic inserts for the ladder rungs cracked the second time I climbed the ladder...water module valve for the toilet started leaking...water heater gas side will not light, have determined the module board is bad...concertone unit does not work on AM/FM. To date only the water valve has been resolved...Local dealer had me pay for the part and I waited two months for Thetford to approve the claim before the dealer would refund my money!

Now, I do understand that installed items from different manufactures do not fall under the workmanship of Forest River. But they should consider their track record before installing their components!

I purchased my Surveyor from Country Roads RV center in Winston Salem, NC. I shopped the internet and they offered the best price, but were also 500 (our winter location and 1800 from our summer location) miles round trip away. Which adds to my dilemma for considering attention to my warranty repairs! Since my Surveyor was not locally purchased, I have been pretty much on my own...I have found one dealer that would look at the issues, but would like me to leave the trailer for several months with no promises of fixing the problems! That's unacceptable! I'll just make the repairs to the best of my ability using this forum, and try to enjoy my SV-291 until money allows the purchase of another Manufacturer!

I have to side with Goomph...I'll never purchase from Forest River again!
seadoomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadoomx View Post
Purchased my 2011 SV-291 in October 2010. I have been reading this forum front to back about issues with this model Surveyor! To date...my slide leaks right side bottom corner closest to bed...four of the plastic inserts for the ladder rungs cracked the second time I climbed the ladder...water module valve for the toilet started leaking...water heater gas side will not light, have determined the module board is bad...concertone unit does not work on AM/FM. To date only the water valve has been resolved...Local dealer had me pay for the part and I waited two months for Thetford to approve the claim before the dealer would refund my money!

Now, I do understand that installed items from different manufactures do not fall under the workmanship of Forest River. But they should consider their track record before installing their components!
You're very chaitable! I would say FR should absolutely be responsible for the components installed by them in thier factory in thier products.

I look at it this way:

If a car manufacturer uses parts from another company in thier vehicles (IE: moog, AC Delco, etc) and it breaks under warrranty, they still replace the part at no charge.

Why should a 40,000 dollar trailer be any different than a 20,000 dollar car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadoomx View Post
I purchased my Surveyor from Country Roads RV center in Winston Salem, NC. I shopped the internet and they offered the best price, but were also 500 (our winter location and 1800 from our summer location) miles round trip away. Which adds to my dilemma for considering attention to my warranty repairs! Since my Surveyor was not locally purchased, I have been pretty much on my own...I have found one dealer that would look at the issues, but would like me to leave the trailer for several months with no promises of fixing the problems! That's unacceptable! I'll just make the repairs to the best of my ability using this forum, and try to enjoy my SV-291 until money allows the purchase of another Manufacturer!

I have to side with Goomph...I'll never purchase from Forest River again!
Unfortunately, from what I've read, the other RV manufacturers aren't much better.....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #37

Exclamation

Goomph posted on another thread that he went to the factory for his repairs...sounds like a road trip to me!
seadoomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #38

I read through this entire thread and the thing I take away is this, and it partly makes me nervous, problems and manufacturing issues arise no matter what product one buys new today. Crap happens, the question is how does the manufacturer step up to the plate when it does?

Great White, I hope and pray my Rockwood Roo I ordered 2 weeks ago comes off the line in tip top build, because I do have concerns with FR stepping up to the plate with any issues.

I tend to be a picky consumer when it comes to major purchases. I love my boat and being on the water. Two years ago I bought a left over 2008 Grady White Seafarer 22 and half foot walkaround with a Yammaha F250 on it. Last Spring we took her out on Lake Fontana here in the Smokies and somehow my motor injested some water. I took her to the nearest Yammaha Warranty Center in Georgia and they check my fuel..nope no water. They checked my water fuel seperator...nope no water. They pulled the motor's plugs and water poured out of the #2 and #4 cylinders.

The motor had 148 hours on it. Yammaha stepped up to the plate and bought a new power head...no questions asked.

I did not buy my boat there, they were not a Grady dealer and I had zero hassels from either the dealer or Yammaha. I wish this company (FR) had same philosophy towards customer service. From what I read here, they do not. I bought my camper from a dealer in Florida after researching pricing and so forth online, a Shamrock Dealer is in Atlanta and I think a FR dealer is east TN and perhaps Columbia. Should I need service I hope one of these will help me...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #39

There are many valid points made above my posts. The RV industry is really not stepping up to the plate for their customers.

It took a while before factory stepped up tot he plate. But I have to be honest, and say that once they did, everything was exemplary of how it should be at dealer level. They tried to mask their expressions and completely refrained from making comments when they heard of my dealings and stories regarding a few dealers, but one can read the unspoken words. Obviously what we are going through is not what the factory people wants us to go through.

But the factory is just a small part of the whole corporation, still it gives a sense of their overall purpose.

The trailers are NOT built in a haphazard fashion, they are not quickly slapped together, that is for sure. I WOULD buy another Surveyor with my eyes closed after seeing how they are built and havign spoken to the people who also built my trailer.

Mine was just a dud, a bad luck, is all I can say. One person did not do his job properly, and I ended up with a leaky trailer. The problem was, since the area was sealed shortly afterward there was no way to catch it during their multiple inspections. Maybe they also need to start inspecing that particular area is of course what comes to mind.

Purchasing a trailer in US and importing it to Canada is definitely not for the faint of heart ! We were in Florida and changed our route to visit the factory on our way back to Ontario. Actually it was a fun trip
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph
Goomph I also have a 2702SS, when you said that threegr8katz has a prototype, do you mean his TT specifically or ALL 2702s put out by FR? I live in Miami and we get the occasional monsoon (ha!) and with the TT outside 24/7 I have yet to discover a water leak.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surveyor