Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
rce

pneumatic struts under bed

Now I've really screwed up! Showed our new Surveyor Sport to a friend this evening and lifted up the cover for the storage area under the bed to show him all the storage area. The pneumatic struts for the cover seem to have jammed in the open position with the cover & bed up in the air! Instruction manual says to push gently but no luck. Anyone know how to release the stuck struts! My wife is not at all happy! Thanks.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
Too old to be too smart

If all else fails, the ends of the struts will come off the little ball-ends to which they are attached.

Pop them off while someone is holding the bed up, and you can drop it down until you can get better help than I.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
If all else fails, the ends of the struts will come off the little ball-ends to which they are attached.

Pop them off while someone is holding the bed up, and you can drop it down until you can get better help than I.

Pop
Thanks! I gave it a try but the struts seem very firmly attached to the little ball ends. Don't want to force them for fear of breakage!

The trailer is 4 years old and hadn't been opened for 2 years. I'm wondering if the struts have seized from non use and how could I unfreeze them? WD40 if I'm desperate but afraid that would just compound problems???
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to slide the spring off the end far enough to release the ball. Tap it back in place to recapture the ball.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #5

RCE,
I too have a surveyor sport with the gas struts on the bed. And the first time I opened my compartment up, I too noticed it was very hard to close. So first thing to check is if the struts are bent. In all likelihood, they are OK and clean. The other issue is they are likely at pristine full factory pressure. Meaning they are at full force so you'll need to strong-arm them. On one side of the bed, place your hand on the plywood under-bed right above the strut and in the direction of the strut, put your weight into it and push hard. You'll find the spring will eventually compress. If you place your hand directly over the strut connection (and directly on the plywood), you should be fine pushing with all your weight. Do this to each side. The second time, you know how much force to use and can press down directly on the mattress to close it - should be easier to close. Do not apply any lubricant or de-greaser to the strut as this might eventually deteriorate the strut seals.
In the end, if something does go wrong, these struts are fairly inexpensive and can be replaced. So give it a go ... and happy camping.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
rce

Smile

Fantastic! It worked! Just needed a lot more pressure.

I guess I was afraid to push too hard. The owner's manual says there will be "some resistance". I think they should change that to significant resistance
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You have the opposite problem of most...the gas struts usually are too weak to hold the bed up!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #8

RCE, that come from a life time of being told, " You broke it, you just don't know your own strength!" I have managed to over power enough items that now I am afraid to try most of the time. Good luck and have fun camping.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
rce

[QUOTE=Cmmjmoore;229969]RCE, that come from a life time of being told, " You broke it, you just don't know your own strength!" I have managed to over power enough items that now I am afraid to try most of the time. Good luck and have fun camping.[/QUOTE

I can now appreciate the humour in the situation, but not at the time!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You have the opposite problem of most...the gas struts usually are too weak to hold the bed up!

Dave

+1 on this

Tags
bed