Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #1

Problem opening front end tent

Hi all, I am a newbie to this forum. Have had a Surveyor 21T since 2003 and put over 50,000 miles on it!! Believe it or not I only opened the front end tent once and don't recall any problems. Just tried to open it cause someone said things could go moldy if it isn't aired out. (It is perfect, dry and clean) However, the front bar which is supposed to stay open by friction I believe, just wants to collapse, causing the roof to fall. I have done a temporary fix by putting a strap around it and attaching that to my hitch, under the velcro, but of course then there is an imperfect seal. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Toady
toad on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #2

Hi Toady,

Is the front bar you're referring to in the shape of a "U" and does it connect to the deck of the front end on hinges? If this is the case then you're incorrect in your understanding that friction holds this bar up. There should also be a "hockey stick" shaped bar that connects to the middle of the "U" shaped bar at the top and to a hook on the ceiling inside the trailer. The short end connects to the ceiling and the long end to the "U" shapred bar. The "hockey stick" shaped bar is 5-6' long. Do you recall a bar like this in your supplies?

There's a great youtube video out there for setting up a hybrid trailer assuming that's what a 21T is.

Paul
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Site Team

your explanation is confusing. do you have pics of what you're talking about. are you talking about the shepherd's pole that supports the length of the tent end or are you talking about the C-hoop at the front of the tent end?
you've had it for 8 years and never opened the tent end?
i have to ask, why would you buy a hybrid and never use the bunk end? you could've just bought a regular TT.

and as was mentioned, you have a hybrid, which has a different section here at FRF. there's even a separate Surveyor sub-section in the Expandable/Hybrid section.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #4

The bunk ends can be confusing. You should have a Shepard hook.. Which is a pole that runs along the ceiling of the tent section. Perhaps it is stored in your slide. Ours was tucked under where the mattress was stored when we bought our camper. On the u shaped section that sits at the end of the bunk, ( which you are currently using a cord to hold), there should be a black or white plastic knob in the center top of this u shaped section. The Shepard hook pole, attaches to this with the straight end. The curved end attaches to your ceiling at the interior of the bunk, in the center.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #5

Thanks for all the help....feel a little dumb about not remembering the Sheppard's Hook. Why the Hybrid? ....cause it was my first trailer, and when I looked at it open on the dealer's lot, it felt so much more spacious. I did my first 5 years of camping solo, so didn't really need the tent. And now that I figured out how to open it, with your help) I remembered why I only did it once. The condensation is awful!! Everything in the trailer is damp in the morning. Anyone have a solution for that?
I have crossed Canada and the USA about 8 times, and once did a circle down the east coast, across the south and up the west. I have a place in Ontario and one in BC, so, when I go back and forth, I do with the Surveyor.
Was a complete novice when I started, and on my first trip everything froze solid in Butte Montana, since I forgot to figure in the effect of altitude in October. Have done a lot of my learning the hard way...(smile)
Anyhow, thanks for the help guys....hope I can return the favour
Toady
toad on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Site Team

condensation in hybrids and popups is solved mainly by one thing, air movement.
many times people close up their trailers tight, as a drum, and turn on the furnace. this will cause condensation, even in regular travel trailers.

opening up a vent and undoing a bit of the canvas end's window, will allow for air to move.
and second, using PopupGizmos or solar blankets, on the canvas ends, will also help reduce condensation to almost none.

if you do a simple search at any Hybrid forum, on "condensation", you'll get hundreds of posts with solutions such as these.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:49 AM   #7

Most hybrids have fans that clip onto the Shepard hook. Running the fan on low at night will control condensation.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote