Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Propane tank explanation

Just want to confirm that the toggle on the propane tanks from red to green means when green is displayed that tank is being used, etc. Thanks!
rmdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Red indicates that whichever tank the switch-over valve is pointed to is empty. When that happens, you turn the valve to the other tank, and your indicator should turn to green.....on mine it doesn't show green, but the red disappears. You can then turn the tank valve off, remove the empty tank and get it filled, without interruption of propane flow. Leave the switch-over valve where it is, making sure the replaced tank is hooked up correctly with the valve on, and when the indicator turns red again, you start the process all over.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks. Another question, which I may put in a new thread if necessary, but for the first time the WFCO Power Center is making a noise as if a fan were on when hooked to electrical. Admittedly, haven't yet used the hookup much, but is this normal for a fan to come on? And what triggers it? Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter
Thanks. Another question, which I may put in a new thread if necessary, but for the first time the WFCO Power Center is making a noise as if a fan were on when hooked to electrical. Admittedly, haven't yet used the hookup much, but is this normal for a fan to come on? And what triggers it? Thanks again.
It's normal when there's a lot of 12 volt lights on or its charging a dead battery.
Now if the battery is bad converter will not charged properly.

I have to turn about 6 lights before my fan kicks on.

Is your battery ok ?
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #5

Thanks Ron, being a newbie, I'm just learning that there is a converter in the power center. No lights have been on, but battery has gotten low just sitting there in the driveway. Suppose there's a remote possibility that the fan circuit is bad, but I could test for this by disconnecting battery with electrical plugged in to see if fan then goes off. If it goes off, then it's charging the battery. Do you agree?

Also, when your battery gets low, do you charge through the power center converter or hook the battery up to a trickle charger rather than running the fan, or thirdly just let it charge as you run down the road? Thanks again for your help, RMD
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter
Thanks Ron, being a newbie, I'm just learning that there is a converter in the power center. No lights have been on, but battery has gotten low just sitting there in the driveway. Suppose there's a remote possibility that the fan circuit is bad, but I could test for this by disconnecting battery with electrical plugged in to see if fan then goes off. If it goes off, then it's charging the battery. Do you agree?

Also, when your battery gets low, do you charge through the power center converter or hook the battery up to a trickle charger rather than running the fan, or thirdly just let it charge as you run down the road? Thanks again for your help, RMD
Unhook battery and fan should go off.
Charge through converter.
I leave my camper plugged in 24/7 to keep battery charged .
If you can't do that then unhook battery or install a battery dis connect when not in use.

Also there are parasitic drains when camper is unplugged that will kill the battery in a week or so.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It will charge some going down the road, if your vehicle wiring and alternator are up to snuff.

Just plug your camper into a 120 volt circuit, and that will charge your camper battery. If you have a separate battery charger on trickle, that will take a long time. A battery charger on regular charge will do better than trickle, and may even do better than the camper hooked to a wall circuit, but is probably not worth the trouble.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #8

Thanks Guys! Used to have a popup, which had no power center, converter, etc. Still may pull battery in winter--a real deal around here at 8000'--and hook up to trickle charger.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter View Post
Thanks Guys! Used to have a popup, which had no power center, converter, etc. Still may pull battery in winter--a real deal around here at 8000'--and hook up to trickle charger.
You definitely want to keep the battery charged during the winter if the temperatures get below freezing. A discharged battery can freeze a burst.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy

You definitely want to keep the battery charged during the winter if the temperatures get below freezing. A discharged battery can freeze a burst.
X2