Old 07-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #1

Quality difference 2013 vs. 2018/2019

Absent financial and warranty considerations, would an excellent, well cared for 2013 be better built (more care) than a new 2018/2019? I expect some “TLC” would be required on either.
I have heard the 18/19s are being assembled too quickly amd are having issues way beyond minor.
Subject is Surveyor.

Thoughts/comments?

Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #2

That's a wide open question.

As far as build quality....

2013: The economy wasn't doing great so RV manufactures were putting minimal time and effort into building RV's....the quality suffered.

2018/19: The market is hot....DAMN HOT!!!. The manufactures can't keep the supply up with the demand. So, quality is suffering as well.

In short, I don't think the year of manufacture (especially a 6 year difference) has made much difference in quality. (The previous sentence will be the most argued in this thread!)

What this really comes down to is what owner do you want to be:
a. Buy used, hopefully the previous owner took care of all build quality issues and kept up on maintenance.

or

b. By brand new, pay more and know that you will have a zero mile/night trailer that will need some fine tuning...but by the end of the 1st year, everything should work to your liking.

It's kind of like the engine builders say: Cheap, reliable & fast.....pick two cause that's all you get.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
Jayhawker

2018 Surveyor

Had a 2012 Cruiser (our first TT) and just got a Surveyor 243RBS. Very happy with the workmanship. Much better than our 2012. A few issues all minor. Missing kitchen sink stopper, mini blind that won't open/close, cargo/bike rack pin missing. other than all is good. Oh, our trailer came with the new StepAbove fold down steps. Wonderful addition, no trailer bouncing when you step on them, rock solid steps. When they are folded up into the door opening I put a swim noodle between the door frame and the steps in the stored position. Really eliminates any movement while traveling.
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
Jayhawker

trying to post an image of StepAbove steps with a swim noodle that eliminates any movement when on the road. Hope it works!
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #5

We now have made 4 trips with a 2019 245bhs. We have not encountered any major issues and have been very pleased with the unit and quality overall. As expected a few minor things I took care of myself. Honestly the biggest annoyance comes from a storage compartment lock that sticks. Otherwise, all good.
wirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #6

Just remember a lot of campgrounds don't want rv,s over 10 years old. If you buy a 2013 you can lose 5 years at some parks.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

I always buy new

We camp a LOT; I take excellent care of our RVs and as I've sold them over the years everyone says they look new. And still, I never have bought used and never would buy a used one. There is no way to tell what is lurking beneath the beautiful interior/exterior that you see; finding issues would take living in it for longer than a quick, if any, used warranty would allow. If I could afford to make the choice, I would always buy new. And if the time comes that I cannot afford to buy the new model I want, then I will re-evaluate the model to choose and buy a new one that I could afford. IMHO. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who take as good care of theirs as I do mine, but I also know that what you see is not always what you get. I want to be the one to make the bonehead mistakes and have the benefit of knowing what my camper "has been through" .
2012 Jayco X23B Hybrid
2009 R-Vision C243S Hybrid
2006 Coleman Bayside PUP
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #8

We bought a new 2016 salem 27rkss tt 2 years ago we had so many problems we traded it in last year for a 2012 rockwood 8288 5er.what a difference in quality. My wife passed recently and i think im staying in this till the end.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #9
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Just remember a lot of campgrounds don't want rv,s over 10 years old. If you buy a 2013 you can lose 5 years at some parks.

?????????? ??????

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS, pushing a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax w/ Allison 1000

BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #10

bought mine when it was 14 years old. never looked back. All is good. best $5000.00 ever spent.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, quality