Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #1

Question about outside shower

We just purchased a new 2011 Surveyor SP-260. Love the layout and can't wait for it's campground debut (been driveway camping). My question is according to the brochure ALL surveyors are supposed to have an outside shower as standard equipment. Mine does not and none I've looked at online seem to have one (all look just like mine). Is this a typo in the Surveyor brochure or did FR miss something? It's not a really big deal, but if it supposed to be there I'd like to have it. Could really come in handy during those beach trips.

Jeff
LunaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #2

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
It does say in the Brochure its supposd to have one, all the models (Std). I dont think they would just remove it from the specifacations. Hmmm are you sure its not on the camper ??? Did you open all the outside compartments ?? We dont have a Serveyor, but hopefully some here on the forum will help out here. It does seem strange.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #3

The brochure do state that the outdoor shower is stantard on all models. The outdoor shower is behind a door with a lock. It will look like a small storage door. It will most likely be located near the bath.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #4

I've looked all around the outside. The only doors that lock are the front pass through storage doors and the main door (obviously). The only other access panels are are for the refrigerator and water heater. Here is a link to a SP-260 with really good pictures (not mine but mine is identical to it). 2011 Surveyor Sport SP260 - Triple Bunks - Country Roads RV Center - Discount North Carolina RV Dealer - Forest River Dealer & Product, NC RV Dealer, Wholesale Pricing, Winston-Salem. Just has me wondering.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Site Team

In the pictures I didn't see it but gosh - that's a real nice looking trailer inside!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #6

I would question your dealer why it is listed as standard and not included, maybe they should at least provide you with the kit.

It's pretty simple to add one if you have the kit, I have done it in the past on our popup trailer. The hardest part was getting the nerve to cut a hole in the side of the trailer. Once you make the cut, the rest is pretty easy. On yours you could install it on the outside wall that matches up to the bathroom sink, you will have access to both hot and cold, and the hole through the trailer would match up under the sink.

The kit is around $50-75 and can be found on-line Phoenix Exterior Shower Replacement Hatch with Locking Mechanism - Exterior Showers - Faucets & Shower Fixtures - Plumbing or Phoenix Exterior Shower White - $49.97
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #7

@Terier: Thanks for the compliment. Now you know why I say it's no big deal because we love the layout.

@flyrotor: Thanks for the links. I may add one, who knows. But at least it's not too expensive. Cutting the hole is a big mental block though. I had a jetski in the early 90's and put running lights on it. The hardest part was cutting the 1 1/2 inch hole in the rear footwell/deck for the pole light.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #8

wow that is a nice looking trailer

and I agree the outside shower comes in very handy - I have used it to wash my grill with the hot water and also have showered off my daughter after coming back from the beach and she has sand buried in her bathing suit making it easier to clean her up before entering the trailer.

I bet the water heater is in place of where the outside shower would have been - my shower on my 2306 is right next to the spare tire on the back.
If you get no satisfaction from your dealer I suggest calling the factory and find out if they changed it - I know in the brochure it does state something about changes without notice mumbo jumbo and or could have been on older models and they copied the specs over and didnt realize they still had the outside shower specified.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #9

I've contacted a FR rep on the surveyor facebook site and she sent me her email. I've sent her the information she requested and she is going to check in on it for me. She stated the same thing that things can change mid run and mine might not have it as standard, but she is checking. If it's not supposed to have one, I might add one later.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Site Team

I do understand what the rep is saying. With that said you could had been informed just in case it happens to be a deal breaker or one of the reasons you selected that model over another trailer, FR or not. If only life was so simple...

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #11

I have the same question as we also just purchased an SP- 260 about a month ago (actually the one from Country Roads in the above link). I asked about the outside shower and the dealer agreed with me but that he has had 3 of the SP-260 units come through this spring and none of them have had the outside shower. I knew about it before the purchase and inherently agreed to it but I would be interested in what Forest River says.

Craig
chof16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:18 AM   #12

Here is the email I received from Surveyor explaining why.

"
I am sorry to say when Surveyor built your Sport 260 01/19/2011 we were not offering the outside shower. We have just recently added them to our Sport Models effective 02/14/2011.

We are constantly striving for improvements and listening to our dealerships and customers as to what they want to see on our Surveyor and or R.Pods. When we submit to have a brochure printed we most likely have already made a change.

Sincerely,

Susan Thornberg
Warranty, Parts & Service Manager"

Doesn't really makes sense. I know for a fact we went to Country Roads to look at a SP-260 and they just sold the one they had and had ordered another that was due in the first of April. If that is the one you got, it should have had the outside shower. Do a little research for us and see when yours was made (I sent my VIN number to Surveyor for them to check). If it was after 2/14, maybe we can get them to install one for us since it is advertised there is supposed to be one there. I can send you her email address if you want me to. Check with Country Roads to verify the one you have is the last one they ordered. Keep me informed on what you find.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #13

not even a month - that really blows

It doesnt sound right - why would they put it in there brochure and not start putting them in either before or at the same time it was posted.

Maybe find out where they have them installed now and can install one pretty easy I would hope anyways.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #14

Yea, pretty much does. BUT if the 260 Craig purchased is the one the owner of Country Roads RV told me he ordered and wasn't due on his lot till the first part of April, he SHOULD have the outside shower. The owner told me he ordered it and it had to be built. I would still like to know when his was built. I've looked online for a way to decode the VIN number on my trailer and can't find anything YET. Still just wondering.................

Jeff
Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
Maybe find out where they have them installed now and can install one pretty easy I would hope anyways.

That's what I would do. Take an exact measurement of where the shower goes on the new models and install yours in the same place. Should be very easy to install and plumb into the rest of the trailer's pipes. Bummer that they came out with that feature just a short time later but they are always adding new stuff to these to keep people buying so often you need to add features you like to keep yours current. Welcome to the world of trailer modding where you always get what you want.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #16

I have installed one on a popup, very easy to do, hardest part is putting the first cut in the outside wall, after the mark is there then it's pretty easy, I would not pay someone to do this it is that simple.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #17

My guess is ours was built right before the change. We purchased ours off the lot in early March but had them put on a few accessories so we did not pick it up until middle of March. The build date was probably right around the listed change date as I think they had the unit on their lot for a couple weeks. I would like to have the outside shower but not something I am going to get all worked up about. We had one on the Class C motorhome we just sold and used it some but it was a little inconvenient on the opposite side of the coach (the usual location). The kids would wash off the sand and then by the time they walked around to the door, they had more sand, grass, etc. I will likely just get a Y for the water line and hook up a self coiling hose which we can then use anywhere. Overall we are happy with the trailer so far.

Thanks for the info from FR. At least I know the "official" reason why it is listed in the brochure but not on any of the units I have seen. I did do a quick internet search and have yet to see any photos with an outside shower installed.
chof16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #18

@mtl4 and flyrotor: I may add one later on, not sure yet. We just sold our popup when we purchased the TT. I had a few mods on it.

@ chof16: Funny about your trailer, we were wanting to look at the floor plan on a 260 but you picked yours up the day before we got there. The outside shower is really not a big issue for me. I just want to make sure I/we get what we pay for cause the things aren't cheap as we all know. I already have the "Y" adapter for spraying off the kids from our popup days. We love the trailer so far. Only thing we have done is to add a feather bed and a foam topper to the mattress. This helped alot.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #19

Our New Georgetown's broucher was differnt from what was posted on the website. Most of it was color palettes for the interior. A few accessories and options were different...but upgraded and no prob's.

An outside shower makes all the difference in the world for beach trips. If you can't find satifaction? Pehaps you can use your low point water drain. We did this on out old Outback TT. It was was very convenient since the drains were on the right side. No walking around to the service side. Plus, it's a heck of a lot easier to reach down and turn a valve to drain the system then crawl under. I went to Lowes and picked up a few fittings, pipe straps, and used a few things I had sitting around. Ran a little pipe and set up a short hose connection with quick connects at the right rear of the TT. Made things so much easier, plus used a Poly/nylon rug so we could step off right to out carpet. Ideal if your on gravel or a hard surface site. Think it cost me $15 at the time? I plan on doing the same to our 374ts before our beach trip this year.
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #20

Just some friendly advice if you decide to add the wash station yourself.
Get a piece of Cardboard and make a tamplate - it will make cutting the wall very easy as far as location and how much you need to cut off

and get yourself a Dremel tool with the reinforced round cutting discs to cut the fiberglass.

I added a locking door for my fresh water fill and that is how I installed mine.
Here is a link to that thread so you can get an idea of what you will be up-against when cutting the walls
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...6-a-11807.html