Old 08-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
Originally Posted by gizmojohn View Post
Be sure to ask them to install another wall mounted thermostat unless you are real tall to reach the controls on the AC unit
The thermostat wiring has already been prerun to a wall in the bedroom, I can wiggle it and hear it move behind a sticker they put on the wall.

I think part of the problem is the A/C is on the rear of the camper and it is a long duct run to the front bedroom. I do agree that the ducts are small but in my camper's situation connecting it to the duct work is ideal because it would quiet down the living area.

I guess another question is what A/C seems to be the best? Dometic has had their problems, some Advents don't have great reviews, all of them have problems so what is the best choice?

2017 Surveyor 33RETS with Residential Refrigerator and Inverter
2015 Palomino Puma 30FQSS --Traded--
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L 2WD
Nights Camped 2016 23

Coolharts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Coolharts View Post
On our last trip to the beach our 15K A/C struggled to cool and keep up with the 95 degree weather. Our Surveyor came equipped with the 2nd A/C prep and I think that this will be a fall/winter project. I have access to a tractor that will lift high enough to get the unit on the roof.

After some research I have some questions I can't find the answer for:

1) Should I buy a 15K or 13.5K unit for a second A/C, the price is not much different?

2) I have a ducted system as can be seen in the pics, I can't find much info on how to connect the ducted system, how is the connection between the ducted system and A/C is made.

3) The thermostat wire is in the wall, do I use the standard thermostat or is there an A/C only thermostat?

4) Where is the best place to purchase an A/C and if I do it myself will it affect the warranty?

I try to keep my camper as far away from the dealer as possible, I like it to sit in my driveway and not in their locked up lot.
Go to excellent prices online rv parts store:signh avefun:

2006 Gmc
2016 Forestriver Sierra 376 BHOK
Full Timers
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #13
Have a 15000 for the main and put in a 13500 in front bedroom. Out west this year 105 deg. Cooled down to 76 no problem.
2013 Silverback 33RL
2010 2500 RAM 6.7L
tkmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #14
Cadiz Couple
We did the simple thing and just bought a couple of fairly large rotating electric fans---they do a great job of blowing the one AC's output to keep us very comfortable throughout our 35' Rockwood 8310.
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #15
We bought a 2016 Crusader 295 RSK . It only had one air conditioner from the factory. That just won't cut the hot summers here in Virginia. The front vent was wired for power only, and they did not include a way to tie into the ductwork. I went with a 13500 BTU unit from Atwood. The unit is super quiet and the air handling unit on the inside actually has a thermostat built into it. The unit has 3 speed fan motor with an Auto setting. Basically the fan only runs on high when it needs to, other than that it runs on low.

Charles Allen is offline   Reply With Quote

bed, roo