Old 08-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #1

Questions About Adding 2nd A/C in Bedroom

On our last trip to the beach our 15K A/C struggled to cool and keep up with the 95 degree weather. Our Surveyor came equipped with the 2nd A/C prep and I think that this will be a fall/winter project. I have access to a tractor that will lift high enough to get the unit on the roof.

After some research I have some questions I can't find the answer for:

1) Should I buy a 15K or 13.5K unit for a second A/C, the price is not much different?

2) I have a ducted system as can be seen in the pics, I can't find much info on how to connect the ducted system, how is the connection between the ducted system and A/C is made.

3) The thermostat wire is in the wall, do I use the standard thermostat or is there an A/C only thermostat?

4) Where is the best place to purchase an A/C and if I do it myself will it affect the warranty?

I try to keep my camper as far away from the dealer as possible, I like it to sit in my driveway and not in their locked up lot.

Nights Camped 2017 24
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Since you have the A/C prewire, I assume that you have a 50 amp unit?

1) I'd probably go for the 15k unit, but either should do the job.

2) You'll open up the ends of the ducts and then seal everything except the ducts up so no air can go anywhere except into the ducts.

3) I'd just use the standard thermostat. The furnace function just won't work.

4) Since you are going to wait until the fall/winter, I'd wait until closer to then and keep an eye on sales. There's Amazon of course, even Camping World has some good sales if you watch, PPL motorhomes usually have good prices, Dyers also, but the best thing to do is look at lots of different places to see who has the best price + shipping.

Doing it yourself won't have any effect on the warranty.

I too like doing as much stuff myself, and understand wanting to do it yourself.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Since you have the A/C prewire, I assume that you have a 50 amp unit?

1) I'd probably go for the 15k unit, but either should do the job.

2) You'll open up the ends of the ducts and then seal everything except the ducts up so no air can go anywhere except into the ducts.

3) I'd just use the standard thermostat. The furnace function just won't work.

4) Since you are going to wait until the fall/winter, I'd wait until closer to then and keep an eye on sales. There's Amazon of course, even Camping World has some good sales if you watch, PPL motorhomes usually have good prices, Dyers also, but the best thing to do is look at lots of different places to see who has the best price + shipping.

Doing it yourself won't have any effect on the warranty.

I too like doing as much stuff myself, and understand wanting to do it yourself.
Thank You! Yes, it is a 50AMP unit. The dealer wanted close to $1000 P/L for a 13,500 BTU Advent unit, since it has a 15,000 BTU Dometic unit in the rear it would make sense to have a 15,000 BTU Dometic in the front so it would be quieter in the living room when watching a movie, just cut the rear off and let the front A/C do the work.

We have a mountain trip this month and in October and beach trips in Sept and November so I don't see needing to add it before winter. Winters in Central NC are mild during the day working outside in the cooler weather is enjoyable.

Has anybody tried the heat strips in these units? We have a fireplace in the living area but was thinking a heat strip in the front unit would keep the chill down when we do get into cold weather and keep propane usage down.
Nights Camped 2017 24
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

From the pictures it looks like mine, I started adding a thermal foil barrier into the ceiling and using injection foam insulation in the ceiling joist. It is a pain but I am able to feel the difference when in full sun.
These things need better insulation for all climates.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
jsk

I used spray foam to seal cracks and in the corners especially those to the right of the duct work. This helped force more air in to the duct and more air flow to the vent. I did my back AC unit as well. Unless you want the AC units to look the same on top shop around. You may find another brand much cheaper which was my experience. Good luck.

2012 F350 CC SRW 6.7
2012 Sabre 34-REQS-6
Old 08-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #6

If I were adding a second AC given the original one did cool your trailer, I would go with the smaller 13K. With Air conditioning bigger is not always better, the units are designed to remove heat and humidity (condition air). If you cool things off to fast the air stays humid and the surrounding can get damp causing other problems. The other thing is the 13K draws less starting and running amps (small consideration)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #7

The 13.5 should do just fine. You'll only use it mostly for the real "HOT" days anyway. Double check your duct work. Many trailers prep'd for a 2nd Air do NOT match up the exhaust to the existing duct work. If that's the case then you'll be using the Air as a stand alone system. Meaning using the thermostat knob on the unit and exhausting cold air only from the unit itself.

Happy trails,
Old 08-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

A/C unit

Be sure to ask them to install another wall mounted thermostat unless you are real tall to reach the controls on the AC unit
Old 08-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #9

I have 38' TT which is 50 amp. The main ac is thermostatically controlled and is a Mach 15 (15,000 btu) unit. The second unit sits above the master suite in the front and is a Mach 3+ (13,500 btu) unit. The second is not ducted nor connected to an external thermostat. It just has knobs on it.

At first I wished it were ducted and controlled by a thermostat, however now that I have used it... I am pleased with it.

These rigs get hot and do not have complex zoning. We pretty much crank both units until we go to bed.

I do wish the manufacturers would install larger ductwork. They seem very restrictive which can cause freezing issues due to airflow through the evaporator. I was looking at Laredos and liked their "race track" design... which I thought was very slick. I question whether there is enough ductwork (sizing) to handle two ac units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #10

Question 2nd ac

I was thinking about adding a second unit too. I do not think that I am pre set up for it. Is this still possible? Also, I am 30 amp TT would the addition of a second unit mean I would have to be wired for 50? I have a mach coleman (dometic) 15000 but does not do the job cooling. as a matter of fact it has stopped blowing the little bit that it was and is only 4 months old

Tags
bed, roo