Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Questions about the rear kitchen units in transit

My husband and I have just bought a 251rks and have not picked it up yet. After reading some of these comments, I wonder how the rear kitchen contents will fair during transit.

Also we ha
KarenPruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Site Team

We've owned two rear kitchen units and have never had a problem with things moving around. Maybe I'm more careful about towing than some, but we've never had an issue.

We use shelf liner in all the cabinets, but we even do that in the sticks & bricks. I have a couple of those spring tension rods, but we never use them. We don't stack glasses on top on each other unless they're designed to be nested. Plates, saucers, etc. are stored flat and nested with no padding between.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

It is a Moving Kitchen,rear area moves the Most! Pack like your ready for a Earthquake! If you doubt what I am saying,go to a WalMart and let someone drive you around the parking lot and hit a few bumps while you are in the Rear of your Trailer! Report back your Finding! There are MANY Roads in the USA that are NOT as smooth as that Parking lot! Youroo!!
Old 05-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #4

No issues with dumps or spills. Love all the benefits of a rear kitchen I think your going to be happy you got it!
wz3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #5

Friends of our have had a rear kitchen for 5 years now. They have to pack blankets & pillows in the cabinets to prevent breakage. They finally replaced all the dishes due to cracks & chips. Stuff in the frig bounces all over.
Good luck,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Out of Order

Our Wildcat has a rear kitchen and we lined the shelves with that no-slip padding and tend to lay things flat while traveling. No issues. We have a built-in spice rack that works great when camped but is some sort of sling-shot contraption while traveling. My fiancée packed the refrigerator last trip, trying to maximize space to fit all the adult beverages...some of which were in glass bottles. You guessed it, avalanche when I opened the door after settling in. Do NOT do that! On the bright side, the laminate flooring cleaned up nicely.
todtc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #7

Like youroo said, pack like you are packing for an earthquake. We haven't had anything fly out of the cupboards, but things do move around in there. We bough baskets to put thngs in and that has helped a lot. Be sure to get refrigerator bars to keep your refrigerator contents in place. Again, use the drawers and pack the shelves tight. We use bottles of water in the shelves to create a tight fit.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
sevetenajcedar

Rear kitchen

We have a Cardinal 3100 RK LX. The storage and counter space are fabulous. I used gripping shelf liner and store most of dinnerware in baskets. The pantry has roll out baskets. I used heavy rubber bands on the cupboard knobs in transit. I haven't lost a thing. Baskets in the fridge also.
sevetenajcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
Site Team

Like I've said, we've owned two different units and have never had a problem with stuff shifting around or breaking. We've never had anything in the fridge shift or break. I don't know if we've just gotten units with good suspension or if we're just more careful towing than some people.

I've towed on some bad roads and have towed for some pretty long distances. I do tend to avoid large bumps and slow down on entering and exiting highways, secondary roads, parking lots, fuel stations, etc..
Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #10

My fridge is on the back wall of my trailer and have never had a problem. DW only stocked the cabinets with paper, plastic or aluminum to save weight. No issues.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #11

Rear kitchen in ours, no problems! We have the extra wide spread on the rear axles, and I'm told this helps a lot. Rubber rolls of kitchen drawer liner everywhere and no issues. Loooove the rear kitchen!!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #12

I also have the rear kitchen and no issues. I use fabric crates in the cabinet at the back for cups and glasses and the rubber shelf liner. I keep my toaster, coffee pot, and filters there as well. I have two pantry areas on either side of my sofa in the slide so I keep my plates in the forward cabinet which is directly over the axles. I have the spread axle too. No issues of breakage in any cabinet.

I use the double fridge bar to keep things stable and nothing falls out when I open the door.

I love my rear kitchen too!