Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #1

Questions re: FR surveyor SP240

Hi. I am looking at purchasing a new 2014 FR Surveyor SP 240. Any reviews or comments from current owners? Best price I have found is from an Ohio wholesaler that is close to the factory. Can these be bought factory direct? Also, the model I am looking at does NOT have the Artic Package. Can this be retrofitted or a generic equal be installed? Also, doesn't have a rear roof ladder. Is a ladder really necessary? Thanks!
hikingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome!

I don't have your camper but moved this to a forum where other Surveyor owners can find it easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingbob View Post
Best price I have found is from an Ohio wholesaler that is close to the factory. Can these be bought factory direct? !
FR trailers are bought through the dealerships and not direct from the factory. These are independently owned and operated. There are some large dealerships that include words like "Wholesale" and "Direct" but these are neither wholesalers not factory-direct. They are just dealerships and often have very low pricing so attract buyers from all over.

Quote:
Also, the model I am looking at does NOT have the Artic Package. Can this be retrofitted or a generic equal be installed?
Most packages (e.g., Diamond, luxury, Convenience, etc) generally include factory options that can easily be added on if you bought retail. However, its usually less expensive to order the package.

I don't see that Surveyor offers an Arctic package (although I have heard of Surveyors with a sticker that says Arctic).

The website and brochure don't list it, but if its an option the Arctic or Polar Package on most trailers would include an enclosed and heated underbelly, heated tanks, storm windows and maybe extra insulation in the floor and ceiling. Some of these are easy to do yourself (tank pads). Some are not so easy (extra insulation). Do you plan to camp in the cold very often?

Quote:
Is a ladder really necessary? Thanks!
We've never had a trailer with a ladder so not necessary, but it would be nice.

Good luck and have fun in your shopping!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #3

We've had our SP240 for just under a month. Only been out one weekend so far, but we like it, have yet to find any issues that need to be fixed which I hear is actually rare.

I was concerned about the lack of a ladder as well, so I bought a 12' telescoping ladder off Amazon that I can keep stashed in the camper for whatever comes up.
lundah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #4

We took our SP240 out for the first time this weekend. Weather wasn't great but at least we were able to confirm that there are no leaks. We didn't get to use the outdoor kitchen very much but know everything works. As previous tenters, we love this feature. We upgraded from an R-pod so the space inside is amazing compared to the previous rained out weekends we've experienced. The dinette was perfect for sitting and reading. The amount of storage is fabulous. It's so nice to have an actual toilet and shower rather than the wet-bath or 'shoilet' that we had before. I especially like the bed. No more hopping over each other to get out of bed in the middle of the night. We are thrilled with our new S-cape Pod. Really looking forward to the next trip in June.