Old 08-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #1

Rear Storage Rack - Backs

Hi all, I have a 201RBS with the fold down rack in the rear. For the life of me I can't figure out how this thing is supposed to securely transport bikes? Does anyone have a picture? Google came up short.

Thanks,
Jack

jeshoffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:43 AM   #2

Rear Storage Rack

No picture at the moment, but I found it works best to use 2 ratchet straps per bike, 1 at the front and 1 at the rear. Then use an additional strap to wrap around all of the bikes, pulling them slightly away from the trailer so they don't bump against it during travel.

(2018 F-150 Lariat SCREW HDPP soon to come )
Scottyb1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

Thank you, do the bars on either end that swing up or down come into play at all?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #4

Rear Storage Rack

I swing them up and route 1 end of the ratchet straps through it. Mine have quite a bit of play when they are up, so I make sure to tilt them in as much as possible while tightening the straps so that they don't tilt in during travel and cause the straps and bikes to loosen up.
(2018 F-150 Lariat SCREW HDPP soon to come )
Scottyb1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #5

So took a bike over to storage today to try and figure this out. Seems the folks at Lippert don't camp. The lift up bars are useless - would make sense if they lifted up in the middle so the frames could be lashed to them. Guess for this trip they get to ride in the bed of the truck.

Going to take off the rack and have a fabricator make me a cross piece that uses the original brackets with a 2" receiver in the middle. Then I can use a real rack or any other accessory.

Thanks for the inputs guys, just not my cup of tea for $1,300 in bikes.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #6

My solution

I had the same problem with the OEM rack that was supplied and as a result I had a fabricator make this bracket that attaches to the same points that the factory rack does. He welded a receiver hitch in the center so my bike rack will attach. I have only used it once but so far it seems great. This gives me the option to remove it and put back the original rack whenever necessary. Disclaimer -- A friend has a receiver hitch on the back of his TT and for reasons I don't fully understand - it put additional stress on his bike rack and caused damage to it. He took the rack back to the dealer he bought it from and the dealer recognized the damage and asked him if he had been using it being a travel trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7947.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	182744  
RAshcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #7

Very Nice.
My rack tilts down on the sewer hose storage bumper which concerned me. I emailed Lippert and they say some weight is supposed to be on the bumper.
Racks says 450 pound capacity evenly distributed, placed my Honda 150 lb genny on the rack and drove on a 1200 mile camping trip.Hose storage bumper's welds are starting to crack. Hopefully my welder can come up with a solution. I don't think the rack should touch the bumper at all!
Mrkbntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAshcraft View Post
......as a result I had a fabricator make this bracket that attaches to the same points that the factory rack does. He welded a receiver hitch in the center so my bike rack will attach.......
This is by far the most AWESOME solution to the factory rack! I haven't used ours as it:

1. Is in the way of the hot water heater
2. Is very challenging to mount bikes on
3. Is extremely heavy. The removable rack itself is 78 pounds!

I like the idea of adding a 2" hitch that supports many of the already available, lighter weight racks that are much more suited for carrying bikes.

Thanks for the idea.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
There is only i certified bike rack for rear of RV use. Swagman makes a RV rated rack good for 2 65 lb E-Bikes. I have this rack on the back of my Heartland Bighorn. Solid as a rock.
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #10

Rear Storage Rack - Backs

Not sure if your rack is like mine but I could not figure out how to mount a bike on it as the bike wheels sat so far below the rack surface the bike was resting on the crankset.

My solution here. 360IBL fold down bike rack
360IBL fold down bike rack
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage