Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #1

Roof clean

Ok Folks next item, cleaned the roof today with a cleaner/conditioner in one from Camaco/have no idea when it was last cleaned.anyhow it did remove a level of dirt from the surface it still is covered with thousands of tiny black spots. Is that the best to expect or is there something better to use,or is there any reason to actually try to remove these spots.would be glad to know the roof is treated an live with it. BTY its a 06 sv264.
Weatherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #2

Most of us with rubber roofs have good luck using Dawn Dish soap straight washing our roofs. Try some on the spots, nothing to lose.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Go to the files section upper left hand of frf web page .
There's several files showing how to care for your rubber roof.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
DDC

I have always used Murphy's soap it works great and is 'Gentle' with no wild chemicals
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #5

Thanks Guys,those are 3 good choices I can go with. Had to remove the fantastic fan in the bathroom today after last nights rain,had a small leak that I thought was fixed with some extra dicor sealaent I applied last week. Found some loose screws but mainly the flange was cracked at 3 screw holes which allowed water to pass by. FR has layed a bead of sealant then installed the fan so I don't think it was a good seal.Have buytl tape for the flange an fixed the cracks with some filler. I am having a heck of time removing the old sealant from the rubber roof,it may look old but its sticky ,have been using a tad of mineral spirts an green skuff pad to get totally clean.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Owner/Operator

Be careful with the Murphy Oil. Any liquid with a petroleum base may cause the EPDM Membrane to bubble. That is the major reason for using DICOR as opposed to a silicone based sealant.

Also, after the roof is clean, I've found that 303 Protectant is outstanding at removing any remaining oxidation, and providing a good treatment for the roof.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #7

wa3pnt what is this protectant 303? What or who makes it?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
Owner/Operator

It is made by Gold Eagle Co. in Chicago, IL. It is not cheap. About $37 retail for a 32 oz bottle, which will do a 40' roof.

It "used" to be the only product that DICOR recommended for their roofs. Now they have their own DICOR product (I really think it is 303 in their packaging).

I managed an RV Parts and Repair store in Yuma, AZ for about 10 years, and sold just about every rubber roof product made, but found none that surpassed 303. Our recommendation was to use a 409 or simple green solution to clean the roof with a stiff brush, and then apply 303.

When you apply 303, it will dry to a hazy film. You then go back and buff that film, and you will get a semi gloss finish. When you first start applying the product, you will think that you'll run out, but once the cloth gets saturated, the consumption is a lot less. We normally used some type of terry cloth applicator (old wash cloths work well). Buff with an old towel. The terry cloth helps work the product down into the EPDM roof, which normally is not a smooth finish.

Amazon has a good price. $18.46 for 32 oz, and 41.65 for a gallon.

Hope this fills in some of the blanks.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #9

Thanks wa3pnt I will be buying some first chance I get.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #10

Here's a link to a thread I posted in June of 2011. I used Protect All. I've been using it ever since and I'm really satisfied with it. From what I can tell I don't think there's much, if any, difference between it and the 303. You can find it at most RV dealers and Wal-Mart.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ent-13764.html
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote