Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #141

Thanx to some of the tips I gathered here I just went shopping at Home Depot today as this is our first hurricane since owning a TT (went thru the 2004/5 hurricanes with just a bit of worry but OK in the house). Bought 4 vortex screws, ratchet straps & 150# braided nylon to tie-down the camper frame, bought painting tape labeled for metal & heat resistance to seal up the windows & doors of the camper from the outside & prevent water being driven into the TT, plan to fill black, grey & fresh water tanks.

Was planning on camping in a FL state park this weekend & there is currently a no penalty cancellation on ReserveAmerica that is likely to turn mandatory in the next 24-48 hrs as they will be forced to close. Bummer .... what's a little wind or rain (sarcasm font)?
Stay safe everyone!

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
Thank you for some common sense.

Another thing. Pets. Many people are not going anywhere with out their pets.

Another thing. I'm a nurse. I have been *ordered* to stay at work. If you have an ICU full of YOUr family and friends and the oncoming staff can't or won't come in, what am I going to do? Abandon them? It's against the law for one thing. I'm going to stay 3 days and nights and eat vending machine food, meanwhile 99.9% of the time nothing much happens. What are my mom and children and pets going to do if I am stuck at work? Pray, that's what.

I guess everyone in these United States should find out from our more intelligent friends on the forum where we should all move? Utah or Wyoming? I don't know.

"Utah or Wyoming? I don't know. " I don't know either but am well aware there are way too many from 'Nu Yauk' and 'Jursee' at the southern east coast now. Some are great, the majority are arrogant, egotistical, judgmental fools. We don't care how they did things up there. If it was so great why don't they go back?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Thanx to some of the tips I gathered here I just went shopping at Home Depot today as this is our first hurricane since owning a TT (went thru the 2004/5 hurricanes with just a bit of worry but OK in the house). Bought 4 vortex screws, ratchet straps & 150# braided nylon to tie-down the camper frame, bought painting tape labeled for metal & heat resistance to seal up the windows & doors of the camper from the outside & prevent water being driven into the TT, plan to fill black, grey & fresh water tanks.

Was planning on camping in a FL state park this weekend & there is currently a no penalty cancellation on ReserveAmerica that is likely to turn mandatory in the next 24-48 hrs as they will be forced to close. Bummer .... what's a little wind or rain (sarcasm font)?
Stay safe everyone!
I hope your actions were successful. It sounds like you had a great plan. I'll be saving your post for tips as well.
Dellap02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I've been through a lot more than 4 and have not left yet. Not one bigger than a cat 3 though. Around July 1 I'm prepared to go or stay and remain that way until Dec 1. At about 1 1/4 mile from the beach I'm 42' above sea level. No one I know leaves for a Cat 1, about 1/3 leave for a Cat 2.
Now the number of warnings I've heard that amounted to zero is beyond comprehension and the number of watches would give a math professor a headache.
Poster that complains about tax dollars to rescue/house victims ~~ he/she should be outraged at even $1 spent rebuilding a city on the coast below sea level or rebuilding Hwy 12 on the OBX after even a minor storm. Think any tax dollars were used to rebuild after the riots, arson, and looting by BLM? Now let's add the cost of EPA, Dept of Ed and millions of federal jobs that could easily be done away without being noticed. Much more real wasted tax dollars that does not include rescue/survival.
Well said both of you CaptnJohn and eye95.
Dellap02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #145

This did the trick....

SO our little TT made it thru really well. Had a foot of water on the backside & a bit less around her initially but none made it in thanks to the painters tape (pulled it off right away the next morning to allow air flow & check for water leaks).

Helped fill our neighbors water tanks after we filled ours. The vortex screws were easy to put in the ground using a metal rod to torque them down (used the 12 inch I think) and hooked 500 pound ratchet straps to the frame.

Camper did not budge with gusts well over 100 mph for hours ... but 2 of our 30 year old oak trees bit the dust (glad we had not moved camper up near the house ...would have been more like a wind tunnel & the oaks would have eaten it up). Hired some poor local guys to cut them up so I can get the camper out of the backyard & back in to use
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03392_edited-1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	151558   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03440.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	151559  

Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
SO our little TT made it thru really well. Had a foot of water on the backside & a bit less around her initially but none made it in thanks to the painters tape (pulled it off right away the next morning to allow air flow & check for water leaks).

Helped fill our neighbors water tanks after we filled ours. The vortex screws were easy to put in the ground using a metal rod to torque them down (used the 12 inch I think) and hooked 500 pound ratchet straps to the frame.

Camper did not budge with gusts well over 100 mph for hours ... but 2 of our 30 year old oak trees bit the dust (glad we had not moved camper up near the house ...would have been more like a wind tunnel & the oaks would have eaten it up). Hired some poor local guys to cut them up so I can get the camper out of the backyard & back in to use
Glad all worked out for ya !!!
I would love to have your neighbors RV Port !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Glad all worked out for ya !!!
I would love to have your neighbors RV Port !!!
SO would we! Left out one other thing we did ...cable ties on the awning to keep it steady & in (just cut them off last night).