Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #41

I hope everyone survived this storm !!!
I am sorry but I do not understand the people that refuse to evacuate,,, when they have know for days that this storm was coming,,, now the cost of rescuing them will be covered by the taxpayers !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I hope everyone survived this storm !!!
I am sorry but I do not understand the people that refuse to evacuate,,, when they have know for days that this storm was coming,,, now the cost of rescuing them will be covered by the taxpayers !!!
Some are ignorant of the consequences. Some are just stubborn. And some will just count on the "government" to rescue them if it gets that bad.

Our big threat here is Earthquakes. We've had a few that just rattled the dishes and a few that destroyed property and killed. Public officials warn people to be prepared and to most those warnings are background noise.

Same for severe storms.

In fairness, there are some that do not have the means to evacuate from storms like Harvey. No car, no money for fuel if they did have one, and no real evacuation plan to deal with those. You'd think that every means of public transportation would be focused on moving people out of the danger area to evacuation centers elsewhere. Every bus, transit, charter, school, etc moving people without the means and evac centers set up in surrounding areas outside the storm area.

Didn't hear much about that so maybe we have a failure in our local leadership.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #43

Some of what has been said is true. Stubborn, ignorant, expecting government to take care of them etc. This event is affecting people that have never flooded. I have sheltered in place for a lot of hurricanes over the last 50+ years and weathered them just fine. I am 80 miles from the coast and live on high ground. We had over 14" of rain just last night, 20+ since it started Friday, some people south of me had a lot more. There are too many that flee and clog the exit roads, that really don't need to leave, preventing those that face life threatening situations from escaping (remember hurricane Rita?). Due to growth and new construction, some people are flooding that have never flooded before, and most of this flooding has taken place in the middle of the night. My point is, its easy to paint a situation like this with a broad brush from an area not affected. Most of us take care of ourselves and each other, with the news showing extreme situations for headlines, ratings, and "shock and awe." Send prayers for those that are suffering, donate to the Red Cross, or volunteer to help. I'm just asking for compassion for fellow Americans who are suffering. There will be plenty of time to critique this later.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #44
PhD, Common Sense

I wouldn't be so judgmental about those who stay. I've been through four hurricanes and never evacuated. The government has gone from not calling for evacuations to overreacting.

First hurricane, I was young and my parents made the reasonable call to stay. The next two, we were given the option to stay, to shelter, or to evacuate. We sheltered. That made us the clean-up crew for Biloxi.

The eye passed over us in one storm, so we got to go outside for a few minutes as the eye passed. Spooky.

Evacuation doesn't always work. One young lady took the evacuation option during Elena. She went home to Florida. Elena went to Florida. She came back to Biloxi. The storm came back to Biloxi. She rode it out in Biloxi. Ever had a hurricane chasing you?

Anyway, take the government's word with a large grain of salt. Don't be stupid, but don't sheepishly follow governmental advice.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some are ignorant of the consequences. Some are just stubborn. And some will just count on the "government" to rescue them if it gets that bad.

In fairness, there are some that do not have the means to evacuate from storms like Harvey. No car, no money for fuel if they did have one, and no real evacuation plan to deal with those. You'd think that every means of public transportation would be focused on moving people out of the danger area to evacuation centers elsewhere. Every bus, transit, charter, school, etc moving people without the means and evac centers set up in surrounding areas outside the storm area.

Didn't hear much about that so maybe we have a failure in our local leadership.
During/prior to Katrina public trans was available free in NOLA and it was still ignored. Some feared being looted and some stayed to loot.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #46

In almost every square inch of the US there are "Flood Plain Maps" that show where and a best estimate of how much water one an expect during a flood event. One part of the government has gone to the trouble of developing this data and unfortunately the parts of government closest to the people affected fails to get this information out.

For those that live on high ground it's one thing to hunker down and survive. For those who have homes that in many cases are only a few feet above a high tide or subject to flooding by rivers, local government is failing them regularly. Building permits are granted solely for the reason that development promotes revenue.

Yes, I hope all are safe in the affected areas. Lessons should be learned but sadly won't.

FWIW, weather forecasting is getting to be a lot more accurate as well as predicting paths of major weather events. It's not like the days when I was a kid and would hear the weatherman forecast clear, sunny skies for the day and I'd look out the window to see a downpour and clouds so thick you'd think it was almost night.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #47
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I wouldn't be so judgmental about those who stay. I've been through four hurricanes and never evacuated. The government has gone from not calling for evacuations to overreacting.
Some of us stay for the excitement. I have been through a couple of hurricanes, once camping we were advised to evacuate, and we didn't. Not all hurricanes are CAT 4. This time the weatherman got it right. Usually, they can't predict yesterday's weather.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #48

To those of you who are criticizing people for not evacuating should not be commenting on here about it. We are in an area far enough away that it was never even suggested that anyone evacuate. We are some 300 + miles away from where the storm made landfall and almost 100 miles from Houston. But for some people even if it had been called for and they wanted to they couldn't. I have elderly parents both disabled and unable to travel. There is no way even if we were told to leave, that I would leave them behind to fend for themselves. So as you can see there are other reasons for staying besides mooching off the government. As for Houston, why they didn't call for evacuation when there was still time, I don't know ask the mayor of Houston or Governor Abbott.

I asked for info on how to secure my new TT just in case we were to get the wind because I didn't know and this has gotten out of control. I am sorry I started such a stir. I wish I hadn't asked in the first place.
Dellap02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #49

Yours was a good question Dellop02, don't be sorry. Lots of armchair quarterbacks who really don't have a clue. I splashed my boat early this afternoon today and rescued a lot of people that could not get out and needed help. I intend to do it again at first light tomorrow. Folks, it is really bad here, and much worse 30 miles south. Please send prayers, there are a lot of people that need them and those of us helping need your support.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellap02 View Post
To those of you who are criticizing people for not evacuating should not be commenting on here about it. We are in an area far enough away that it was never even suggested that anyone evacuate. We are some 300 + miles away from where the storm made landfall and almost 100 miles from Houston. But for some people even if it had been called for and they wanted to they couldn't. I have elderly parents both disabled and unable to travel. There is no way even if we were told to leave, that I would leave them behind to fend for themselves. So as you can see there are other reasons for staying besides mooching off the government. As for Houston, why they didn't call for evacuation when there was still time, I don't know ask the mayor of Houston or Governor Abbott.

I asked for info on how to secure my new TT just in case we were to get the wind because I didn't know and this has gotten out of control. I am sorry I started such a stir. I wish I hadn't asked in the first place.
Well stated Dell a. People that hasn't gone through evacuations don't understand. I've been through several, including Katrina, and not live far enough inland that it is not a concern.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #51

In 92, the wife and I rode out Hurricane Andrew on Carnival Fantasy. Spent an extra day at sea, came back to an empty terminal in Port of Miami. No customs inspections, no anything. They called your name on the ship PA sys, you disembarked, walked into luggage loading area, searched for bags, boarded bus for Ft. Lauderdale and flew home.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #52

After reading the six pages (and growing) of posts that answer (in some way) the OP, my conclusion is that there are not really a lot of "know it all's", but rather a lot of people with different experiences, directly or indirectly, involving severe weather and the potential or actual necessity for evacuation. I see more concern for the safety of the OP and all involved in that area from this group, which is generally a rather helpful and friendly group.

As for how to secure a TT/5th Wheel, I really am too new to the group and to RV'ing to offer a good answer. I wonder if aircraft tie-downs would help, although they would have to be very strong in the event of really strong winds. Of course, I would not want to be the "test mule" for such a thing.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #53
Mod free 5er

Hitch up and head NORTH!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #54
Sunseeker 2400MBW

It makes me so Furious I cry to read armchair quarterbacks discuss what they would do in a hurricane. I lived in Louisiana most of my life. They get people all freaked out and here's some single mom with 3 kids spending $1300 to evacuate over and over and nothing happens. Then when they decide they just can't do it again, Katrina hit. I blame a lot of the hysteria on the media and 24 news.
I have gone TO New Orleans several times for a hurricane because everyone's off so we have a big neighborhood BBQ at my daughter's house. We are sitting right there having fun and there's the red and yellow blobs on TV and the weather person in the wind tunnel trying to drum up business, trying to scare everyone to death. I know you can't totally predict the weather, but they could focus on being a little more accurate.
On the Wednesday before Hurricane Katrina Monday I was in New Orleans with my mom. Everything was normal at that time. You can't move that many people that fast. If the people in charge of the levees and pumps did their jobs, a lot of the tragedy wouldn't have happened. I better hang up before I say something ugly.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtexx View Post
Yours was a good question Dellop02, don't be sorry. Lots of armchair quarterbacks who really don't have a clue. I splashed my boat early this afternoon today and rescued a lot of people that could not get out and needed help. I intend to do it again at first light tomorrow. Folks, it is really bad here, and much worse 30 miles south. Please send prayers, there are a lot of people that need them and those of us helping need your support.
Thank you Fishtexx you have our support for what you're doing for all these people who are in desperate need of saving regardless of the reason. We need more like you. I pray for your safety and the safety of all others out there, those in need of help and those helping.
Dellap02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #56

Thank you Dellop02, as Texans and Americans, it is just what we do.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
It makes me so Furious I cry to read armchair quarterbacks discuss what they would do in a hurricane. I lived in Louisiana most of my life. They get people all freaked out and here's some single mom with 3 kids spending $1300 to evacuate over and over and nothing happens. Then when they decide they just can't do it again, Katrina hit. I blame a lot of the hysteria on the media and 24 news.
I have gone TO New Orleans several times for a hurricane because everyone's off so we have a big neighborhood BBQ at my daughter's house. We are sitting right there having fun and there's the red and yellow blobs on TV and the weather person in the wind tunnel trying to drum up business, trying to scare everyone to death. I know you can't totally predict the weather, but they could focus on being a little more accurate.
On the Wednesday before Hurricane Katrina Monday I was in New Orleans with my mom. Everything was normal at that time. You can't move that many people that fast. If the people in charge of the levees and pumps did their jobs, a lot of the tragedy wouldn't have happened. I better hang up before I say something ugly.
1st ~~ NOLA should not exist below sea level. Why should taxpayers continue to bail that ugly place out? That WAS ugly and true.

There are many reasons to stay and as stated I'll not leave unless I'm fairly certain of a Cat 3 or higher. I cannot recall the number I have ridden out and even a high Cat 2 was not uncomfortable except no electric and it was hot and humid.

OP had mind made up ~~ staying. No reason for anyone that wants to go not to, they are warned days in advance. The only good advice would be to forget the TT and go into a shelter until it passed. That is what insurance is for. Every coastal town I have lived in has shelters in schools, an armory or more. Many coastal CGs have bath houses or other buildings built to act as shelter in case needed. A tornado hit not far from the Sarasota CG I was staying in a couple years ago. When the sirens went off I was told the bath houses quickly filled although I just went back to sleep in the 5er.

About 9 - 10 years ago a hurricane was forecast for the area. The great Jim Cantori arrived here ~ impressed. Saw him on tv, yes lots of rain but he was leaning into the wind on the beach????? I was on the same windy beach but did not find reason to lean or even hold my hat on. Drama sells advertising. I thought Jim was a meteorologist and found he was an actor.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #58

Maybe a little off subject,,,
but how do Tornadoes seem to know where Mobile Home parks are ???

I guess I am with the people that say if you can,,, hook up and head out !!!
2 or 3 days ahead of the storm !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #59
Insert witty title here

If you had the means and the ability to get out and didn't, I hope they bill you the cost of your rescue. You had plenty of warning.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Maybe a little off subject,,,
but how do Tornadoes seem to know where Mobile Home parks are ???

I guess I am with the people that say if you can,,, hook up and head out !!!
2 or 3 days ahead of the storm !!!

I was told that Mobile Home Parks actually caused the Tornado's.

Seriously, they get most of the press because so much devastation occurs when a Tornado hits them. I have yet to see a Mobile Home that is built as durable as a conventional, stick built, home. If for no other reason Mobile Homes have way too much room below to catch wind and flip them, even with varying attempts to anchor them.

The Mobiles are close together where in regular neighborhoods there's a little more space between.

When this event is over there will be a lot of people criticizing "government" at all levels for "not doing more to protect the people". Newspapers could almost take reports from other disaster's like this, change dates, names, places, but still use the same "copy" regarding the "inaction of public officials".

I do find it interesting that a lot of jail and prison inmates were moved prior to the storm but Nursing Home/Assisted Adult Living Center residents were left in place.