Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #1

Securing TT for hurricane Harvey

We are new to the TT world and not sure the best way to secure the trailer. Is it best to have the slides in or out?
Dellap02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellap02 View Post
We are new to the TT world and not sure the best way to secure the trailer. Is it best to have the slides in or out?
Slides in. I don't know where you are, but you might want to get it out of there.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
Slides in. I don't know where you are, but you might want to get it out of there.

Thank you.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #4

Quote:
X2!!!
This looks like a monster according to the coverage on CNN. Where are you in location to its landfall?
Old 08-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #5

Only two ways I know how to "secure" a travel trailer in the path of a Hurricane. One is to move out of the area post haste. Like right now if you are in the path of "Harvey" and the usual rains, winds, flooding, tornado's that come out of a storm like that.

The other way is to call and make sure your Insurance is up to date and then just find safe haven for yourself and family.

Here's hoping you are safe.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontherock View Post
X2!!!

This looks like a monster according to the coverage on CNN. Where are you in location to its landfall?

We are in S.E. Texas in Lumberton about 90 miles from Galveston. Our biggest worry is the amount of rain they are predicting for our area. We aren't in the major path at this point.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
We are in S.E. Texas in Lumberton about 90 miles from Galveston. Our biggest worry is the amount of rain they are predicting for our area. We aren't in the major path at this point.
You should be ok from wind there, but if it turns get out early.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
Canadian Member

Put the slide in, hitch up and head east! Stay safe.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

If it turns and things change, we will leave but right now we aren't getting rain or wind from it.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
They are suggesting people write there Social Insurance Number and phone number of next of Kin on their arms. I guess they mean what they say about getting out.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
If it turns and things change, we will leave but right now we aren't getting rain or wind from it.
The strongest winds are in the Eastern side of the storm. This storm is supposed to head to you and then over to Louisiana. If we were you we would hitch up and get out now! I don't know if you have ever been in the path of the storm, but we live 60 miles from the coast and have been affected and without power for a week during three hurricanes that were not as strong or slow moving as you will experience. You are expected to have several feet of rain. Rain loosens tree roots. The trees come down on vehicles, trailers, and houses. Tornadoes are spawned. It's not fun. No air conditioner, no baths, etc. gets old real fast!!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
The strongest winds are in the Eastern side of the storm. This storm is supposed to head to you and then over to Louisiana. If we were you we would hitch up and get out now! I don't know if you have ever been in the path of the storm, but we live 60 miles from the coast and have been affected and without power for a week during three hurricanes that were not as strong or slow moving as you will experience. You are expected to have several feet of rain. Rain loosens tree roots. The trees come down on vehicles, trailers, and houses. Tornadoes are spawned. It's not fun. No air conditioner, no baths, etc. gets old real fast!!

Yes I have lived through quite a few myself. I was here for Rita and Ike. I have experienced all the above. My husband was a firefighter for 34 years and had to stay and work through them. I've been on the roof during the calm of the eye covering holes when the chimney blew off. They are not evacuating or suggesting it for our area, at least not yet. But If they do we will go.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:46 PM   #13

She is 300 miles from the landfall area.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes I have lived through quite a few myself. I was here for Rita and Ike. I have experienced all the above. My husband was a firefighter for 34 years and had to stay and work through them. I've been on the roof during the calm of the eye covering holes when the chimney blew off. They are not evacuating or suggesting it for our area, at least not yet. But If they do we will go.
If you wait until they order an evacuation, you won't be able to. You'll get about as far as the fuel in your vehicle tank will take you at a "slower than a walk" pace as everyone else hits the roads out. If you do run out of fuel, by then every source will be out too, if not sold out, no power to pump any.

I do believe that if I'd be taking a trip out of town ASAP even if the storm is forecasted to miss you. Weather Guessers can be wrong and sometimes Deadly Wrong.

Remember that even if the Hurricane doesn't hit land all that hard, it can spawn tornado's that are deadly. Go online and read about what happened after hurricane Gilbert missed Texas yet spawned 29 tornado's, two of which were "killers".

good luck.

Added: Just saw on the news that it won't break up when it hits land but will loiter for a while, dropping up to 20 " of rain and then moving east with high winds for several days.

Prepare to get wet. Very Wet.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:06 PM   #15

just upgraded to a category 4
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
She is 300 miles from the landfall area.
5 hours away as of 5 minutes ago.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Please stay safe!
If you haven't done so already, I would have the trailer packed and ready to go at a moment's notice as well as having your TV fueled up (with extra fuel in containers). I don't know how the electricity supply is fed to your area but a storm this large could cause black-outs / brown-outs over a very large area. Good luck getting fuel with no power at the pumps!
Hopefully, your meteorologists are better at forecasting than ours.
Thoughts and prayers to all Texans tonight from your northern neighbours.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #18

Keep in mind that, if you are leaving on a moment's notice (i.e., storm getting too close/too quickly for comfort (and safety), there will definitely be others doing the same thing. You will not be the only one on the road attempting to outrun the storm. Throw in some traffic jams and the usual unpredictable drivers out there, and all bets are off.

We saw up close how some drivers react to traffic jams yesterday, and it definitely brought out the worst in several of them.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #19

Back to the original point.

If you had a hurricane headed your way (not Harvey). Say maybe a Cat 2 or something and you're 100 miles inland (like I am). What would you do to secure your camper? I have good insurance and of course, slides are in. But I've often wondered if there was anything I could do to keep it from getting blown over.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
Back to the original point.

If you had a hurricane headed your way (not Harvey). Say maybe a Cat 2 or something and you're 100 miles inland (like I am). What would you do to secure your camper? I have good insurance and of course, slides are in. But I've often wondered if there was anything I could do to keep it from getting blown over.
Fill all tanks with water, low weight less higher weight. If possible tie wheels down. If I lived in these areas I would have screw in pilings to tie the wheels down.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote