Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Septic hose storage?

The folks we bought our 186SPT from indicated you could store the septic hose in the rear bumper--remove the rubber cap, put the hose in, and presto you're good to go...not. Upon arriving at the campground, both the bumper cap and hose were gone baby gone.

I think it's a terrific idea to store the hose in the bumper thereby placing whatever lingering odor may exist in the great outdoors, but is there a way to do it so that the hose remains in the bumper? If not, where and how do you folks store your hose so that odors remain contained and not waft up into the living area? Thanks!
rmdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdrifter
The folks we bought our 186SPT from indicated you could store the septic hose in the rear bumper--remove the rubber cap, put the hose in, and presto you're good to go...not. Upon arriving at the campground, both the bumper cap and hose were gone baby gone.

I think it's a terrific idea to store the hose in the bumper thereby placing whatever lingering odor may exist in the great outdoors, but is there a way to do it so that the hose remains in the bumper? If not, where and how do you folks store your hose so that odors remain contained and not waft up into the living area? Thanks!
User dunnnc has a good method .
Pm him for a link or look in his profile albums
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #3

RV parts stores sell plastic devices made just for that purpose. Do a google search for sewer hose carriers. BTW dont try attaching anything to that "bumper" or there will be more than your hose missing.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
CampingQueen

We purchased the brown hose with the yellow connectors available at walmart and we've also seen them at camping world, etc. Here's what I'm talking about: Camco 39625 RV Revolution Swivel RV Sewer Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

The hose kit comes with two 10' lengths of pipe with quick connectors. It also comes with end caps for both ends of each piece of pipe.

I really like it because you can use just one section or connect to make longer pipe if needed. When it's time to pack up, we disconnect the hoses, put the caps on one end and then 'scrunch' the accordion pipe up and put the other cap on. The caps on are air tight so keep the pipe from expanding, which makes them nice compact lengths of pipe to store. With the caps on and it compacted you don't end up with the crazy huge length of hose snaking around, spewing 'left over' water at you when you are trying to store it or take it out for use.

With the caps on the end, there is absolutely no odor at all and we just store it in the passthrough storage in the original box it came in. (although I think I will invest in a plastic bin for it since the box is beginning to get a little worn out)

It will fit in the bumper too if you want to store it there, but you may have to file the little tabs on the ends down just a bit to make it easier to get in there. We don't bother because we have plenty of space underneath, the hose compacts so well and there is no odor with the ends capped.

Well worth the money, in my opinion. The only other thing I would recommend you get if you don't have already, is a clear elbow to connect between the dump valve (RV side) and the sewer hose. That lets you know when you are done dumping and also helps know when your black tank is clean when rinsing it.
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

I have used a piece of black duck tape over the end caps. Leave the vent hole open. Been able to reuse tape half dozen times before needing a new piece. The black tape blend right in with the bumper and end cap
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #6

Thanks Guys, actually going to Walmart today. Will use end caps and put all the septic gear in a separate box.
rmdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
RV parts stores sell plastic devices made just for that purpose. Do a google search for sewer hose carriers. BTW dont try attaching anything to that "bumper" or there will be more than your hose missing.
The only problem with the ones the RV stores sell is they are too short for a 15' hose. I like to use the perforated 5" pvc from Lowes or HD and put screw in ends in both ends and strap them to the frame near the dump outlets. Out of the way and they don't have any smell.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Site Team

i bought 2 little hatch doors for the ends of my bumper, at CW.
been working great for the past 4 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #9

odor? i don't know about others, but i rinse my sewer hoses before i stow them in the carrier. . if i was hauling anything that had stench, i'd be a bull hauler in a kenworth.
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #10

How do I keep the end caps in place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthelen View Post
I have used a piece of black duck tape over the end caps. Leave the vent hole open. Been able to reuse tape half dozen times before needing a new piece. The black tape blend right in with the bumper and end cap
I'm also having trouble keeping the end caps on the bumper, and am also using duct tape. Doesn't someone have a better way than either tape or the CW metal doors? The custom added tubes are very nice, but are way more than I need for our type of camping.
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
I'm also having trouble keeping the end caps on the bumper, and am also using duct tape. Doesn't someone have a better way than either tape or the CW metal doors? The custom added tubes are very nice, but are way more than I need for our type of camping.
Drill a hole completely thru the bumper and cap and drop a rod or bolt down thru it.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Drill a hole completely thru the bumper and cap and drop a rod or bolt down thru it.
After losing about 4 of them I did just as above I drilled a hole and inserted a bolt and wing nut. Problem over..
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #13

Here’s how I dealt with the sewer hose issue.
$150 from Lippert
Lippert Sewer Hose Mgt System
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lippert Sewer Management System.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	21314  
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthelen View Post
SEE, SEE, I'm not the only one that uses duck tape! Quack, Quack!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
Site Team

I replaced my lost bumper caps with this type and 18 months later I haven't lost one yet. One per package.

I lost the original caps on the way home from the PDI.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I have just been lucky. The OEM plugs stay tight and in place.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Another rat in the race

I just drilled a hole top and bottom then put a pin in. Used wire and made a "L" with just a little bend at the bottom to hold it in.

You can use the end caps on the brown and yellow hose to crate a seal and compress the hose. It won't hold forever but it will help putting it way. I put a chain link between the two end caps (the ones you can drill through without compromising the vacuum) and now you can pull on one and get the other out also, that with the compression I can fit both those and 1 of the Red style hoses.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You know there's a reason those come out right?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You know there's a reason those come out right?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316

The bumper twisting and flexing causes them to wiggle out.
Spare tire will make the light weights do that.