Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

Shake out 1st camping trip

I am new to RVing and always tent camped and knew what to expect.
I wife wanted a 5th wheel so I bought a new 2015 754BHS.
Is it normal for the things to fall apart and brake on these units.
First the eclectic heater never worked from the time we were supposedly shown how everything works in the trailer. the company gave an excuse "that it needed to be cold to work". ( I believe they were just trying to get us out the door so they could go home.)
Second thing that was broke was the rear stabilizers the motor didn't turn it. That I fixed when I got home, the press pin was snapped and I replaced it.
Third the hot water would only run enough water for one person, and I used the nozzle to only use enough water to soap up and rinse, and shut it on and off as needed only.
It sputtered and ran out of hot water too fast.
I did level the trailer before I used all the internals.
Forth the refrigerator needs to be constantly reset about 6 times a night and through out the day, when on Gas.
Fifth when we stopped on the way home the frame around the slide out was on the floor.
I can't believe that a company would use those cheap brads to hold the trim together.
I was afraid it would fall on my grand children or wife I ended up putting it back together with real wood screws, it looks like crap but I feel it is safer for my family.
Sixth also found the mattress is ripped, on one of the bunk beds.
Seventh even with my brake controller on 0, I have one of the right rear tires stop and drag at every time I use the brakes.
8th behind the cd player where the company entered the wall it looks like they just used the claw of a hammer to chop a hole for the wirers. I would have used a hole saw and shown some professionalism.
9th the light over the table unscrewed and was on the floor. Don't they know to use some "loctite" on the threads? Especially on a vehicle that vibrates.
10th the step that goes up into the bed room is already loose.
I know some of this is warranty work but some I will have to learn how to repair my self.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

I was told all new campers have issues. I said oh ya, not having water is not a new camper issue, it is a crappy build and test. I did not fix anything and kept taking it back. What I found out was that the repair shop was making other items worse every time the camper went in. I fixed the last few items my self and will not go back to the dealer unless I have to. Mine was new off the lot.
philscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #3

It seems about half the issues are fixable yourself, but there is a year warranty so I would talk with the dealer about addressing these. Almost every new unit has problems. A solid PDI could have caught most of these which could have been fixed before taking possession.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #4

I already dropped off the electric fireplace, and I will be replacing the trim with either stained cabinet quality plywood or solid Aspen. The water heater I still have to make sure it wasn't my fault. I will adjust the brakes all the same. I am going to fix the step myself also. I can repair most things better and stronger than what I see so far.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
jkoenig24

Most (if not all) new RVs will have some issues. It is sad and, not getting right the first, time definitely costs the manufacturer (and dealer) money. Keep a careful log of you experiences. If you're new to RV camping, I would STRONGLY recommend that you find and attend an RV Boot Camp. The Escapees run an excellent RV Boot Camp over a weekend and, there are other groups that offer boot camps too. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and sometimes dangerous. RV Boot Camp graduates will be safer and less frustrated.

Some RV dealers are only interested in making a sale. They don't properly prepare an RV for sale and, either hope the buyer won't notice or, don't care if the buyer does notice. This is where your careful documentation comes into play. Most states have Lemon Laws. Google to find out what protections you have before you do battle with the dealer. Contact the RV manufacturer and ask for help in getting your problems fixed. I'm at the FROG Rally in Goshen now. Earlier this week, I spoke with a man who ended up with a lemon RV. He got the manufacturer to give him full credit for what he had paid for his lemon and was, able to buy the current model (which has been trouble free). Forest River is adjusting / fixing owners' RVs for free (up to five items) here at the rally. Even if you get all your issues addressed, you'd be wise to join FROG (Forest River Owners Group) and sign up for next year's FROG Rally. Good luck in getting your RV in top working order!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #6

Welcome to the club szabla. We bought a new 2014 Sabre 5th wheel. Camp almost every weekend and m routine all summer has been go camping, come home and fix. Go camping and come home and fix. Go camping and sometimes fix while camping.
The issues are too numerous to list here I think. But ya, I'm not suprpised by what you have said.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #7

So far I don't think there is anything major that would stop me from using this camper or want to sell it. Just a bunch of little things.
Actually it was nice to be in a camper, when my son chased a bear out of camp just after it tor into his ice chest. He was in a tent and his 2 dogs didn't even bark. He and his wife didn't get any sleep the rest of the night. Their 2 daughters my grand babies were in the trailer and safe and sound asleep.
The things I really like about this camper is it tracks very close to the tow trucks wheel track. It also is so light my diesel doesn't even struggle at all.
My wife likes that it is a home on wheels and if she has enough of nature she can watch it from inside the trailer, warm dry and mosquito free.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:21 AM   #8

Workmanship

This from someone who also owns a cruising sailboat ... If offshore sailboats were constructed with the same level of competency as a typical TT, I would be typing this from the bottom of the ocean. The RV industry should be ashamed of its so-called quality control.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #9

Most all of your problems szabla,,, should have been found fixed by the dealer before you ever took the unit home !!!
This is another dealer that should have there name posed on this site !!!

Quality Control slipf18,,, aren't you funny !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #10

I just came back from them and got into an argument over the things that were seen not to work by their mechanics and feel they BSed me to get me out the door.
I watched their Mechs, and I will not have them touch the trailer again. My background I am able to repair modify fix anything on the trailer that exist.
I will not name this company unless they they give me a reason to. There are plenty of people who even if I feel they are cutting corners or bsing people who have no background at all and need their services.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabla View Post
I just came back from them and got into an argument over the things that were seen not to work by their mechanics and feel they BSed me to get me out the door.
I watched their Mechs, and I will not have them touch the trailer again. My background I am able to repair modify fix anything on the trailer that exist.
I will not name this company unless they they give me a reason to. There are plenty of people who even if I feel they are cutting corners or bsing people who have no background at all and need their services.
Understand why you won't name this dealer, might affect getting things fixed. Can I ask what State or City? Also what unit is this?

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #12

Gashog if I did that I might as well name the company. The town I am in is too small.
Funny thing, I didn't look at local reviews, I should have, other people have had the same problems I.
It is a 2015 Surveyor 274 BHS fifth wheel.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #13

Quote:
I hear ya about fixing things yourself,,, most of the time it is a lot less hassle for us to do it ourselves,,, + it is quicker and maybe repaired better !!! We had to R & R out outdoor shower box unit to fix a pinched hot water line,,, it took us a couple of hours,,, and it does not look as good as it did because of the full paint job,,, the caulk now shows white... But it was either drive 2 vehicles about 50 miles both ways,,, and leave MH there for who knows how long ???

Dealers know many of us repair our own unites,,, and they Love it !!!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Gashog if I did that I might as well name the company. The town I am in is too small.
Funny thing, I didn't look at local reviews, I should have, other people have had the same problems I.
It is a 2015 Surveyor 274 BHS fifth wheel.
szabla,,, I thought the town you live is was pretty good size ???
I hear it is a Very Nice Place !!!
LOL !!!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #15

I feel your pain! Having had travel trailers for 37+ years of married life (my Father-in-Law advised me to always have a trailer for emergencies, just in case), I know you will have repairs that you can do yourselves. We bought our first dealer-purchased TT this year and they have been stellar about repairs and warranty issues. I checked their ratings and they had a few complaints (I actually met one of the complainers and they were whiny, picky and snotty the whole time - the dealer never lost their cool or got mad but still got poor marks. Go figure. ) I have since learned that dealers vary considerably. Ours took care of everything promptly and with a smile. Even THEY complain about the quality of the units they get. They frequently need to do significant repairs before they put the TT or 5r out on display. I saw the initial repair service ticket on mine and it was quite extensive (things broken, missing, not operational, what have you). They also did a detailed walk-thru with us when we went to pick up the unit. There was so much stuff, I may need to go back down there for a second walk thru!

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. But, just remember the incident with the bear and your son when you start to get pissed and be grateful you and your bride weren't in that tent!
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #16

elchilero53,,,
You are absolute right about the way these unites show up @ the dealerships,,,
It is very unfair the amount of work they have to do before they can sell them !!!
In my experience,,, Manufactured Homes are even worse than RVs !!!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #17

Wolverine 1945
There are some venders you meet that are great and will do all they can for you, and some real A-holes as in any town. I have been here 20 years or so and like the mild climate and access to the mountains, lakes, desert. I am getting old but still enjoy dirt bike and street bike riding, 4x4 riding, snowmobiling, powered snow bikes, jet skis, boating etc. I have a lot of toys, and built a lot of them.
I can ride a dirt (5 minutes away) one day and the next snowmobile just 45 minutes up over 10500 feet, in winter.
This trailer will let us ride all morning then take a nap and ride more in the afternoon until evening. I am hoping this el-nino is as big as they say it will be. It will be an epic winter for deep powder mountain snowmobiling and snow biking.
That reminds me I will have to adjust the one brake that keeps hanging up.
elchilero53
I am not discouraged about owning this trailer.
as for the bears I do a lot of riding motorcycle around the west and tent camp. last summer I tent camped in Alaska for a couple of weeks and actually was very comfortable. (only had bear spray because of Canada) While in the lower 48 though we carry a couple 454 Casulls and smith and Wesson 460, that is in grizzly country. For black bears, lions, and wolves we carry 357 magnums, which is my wife's favorite. I know there are many many choices but I have had these for a long time now and know them well.
I didn't know that this can be a common problem with the trailers quality control and I will keep maintaining it to how I feel it should be, and not to down industry standards so to speak.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #18

Pic work is the biggest problem,,,
The faster they can build them,,, the more $$$ they make !!!
And the attitude,,, down worry about it,,, the dealer will fix it !!!

Sorry I spent a couple of years fixing New Manufactured homes,,,
And yes I am a little negative about it !!!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #19
Georgia Rally Coordinator

szabla: Yes you will have issues on campers weather its a tt 5er or MH or pop up. Should have come to Gosen this week and got your repairs done on site free during the rally. You think you had problems some of the MH big time but guess what all fixed . I had minor issues and all fixed now. Might want to make it next year and then take the plant tour and you will get an idea of maybe why things go wrong. They will repair even if out of warranty.

BTW one of the folks brought there Aviator there that has major issues FR is taking it to the factory for repairs. Down side they will be without the camper the rest of the year but you can bet it will get fixed. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #20

They do great repair work in Gosen,,, it is to bad they have to do so much of it !!!
I am sure if not for them,,, FR would have a lot less returning buyers !!!

Tags
camping