Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

shakedown trip

Well just came back from our first camping trip with our new trailer. its our only trip as we get ready to winterize it. All went pretty good. As a newbie to RVing i quickly realized the value of double checking you packed everything into the trailer. I left the bar to use on the equilizer bars on the rear bumper of the truck. I was lucky enough that it fell between the bumper and the tailgate and got wedged in. I found this out once i was ready to unhook at the campsite. I was pretty lucky there. Anyone else have any good stories or lucky breaks on their first shakedown trip
Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #2

Welcome. Newbie here from Arkansas. My first(only so far). Kinda waiting on camps to open. I jackknifed the trailer in the cab...mmmm hurt my feelings. Just paid off the TV...now dents in the cab. VERY nervous about things I needed to do and watch for and things that might be overlooked. I plan to have a better next trip.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

That has me beat. That would have made me mad too.
Unfortunately we learn best sometimes by making mistakes but im sure you wont do it again.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #4

It's been too long for me to remember (the beginning of the year).

Really, all I remember now is 1) being petrified (first time towing a TT and in 30-40 MPH winds to boot) 2) being cold (it was snowing and I just HAD to have a fire and be outside) 3) my wife having the time of her life putting things in storage 4) having a great time.

It seems like forever ago we made our first trip.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #5

My 1st night, I used the stabilizer jacks to level the trailer and then couldnt figure out why all the doors and cabinets wouldn't open/close properly when they were all fine at the dealer less than an hour before. I thought for sure that just the 20 mile drive from the dealer to campground screwed everything all up.

Fortunately I figured it out after a little while and releveled using a board on one side. No permanent damage that I can tell. I just use the stabilizer to stabilize now.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #6

Glad you had a good trip...I've still got one more 4-day trip to the Deschutes the 1-4 of Nov. then well put it up for the winter...
Well get to try out the furnace if the weather stays cool like it is now...
maybe the water temps will be low enough to catch some fish to...
Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #7

Most memorable trip for me was the trip home from the dealer after picking up my TT. I scheduled my walk thru for 1pm on a Friday (figuring it would only take an hour) so I could beat rush hour traffic. I figured I would need mirror extensions but would get them later...I remember the last thing the tech said when he pulled my truck and TT around...he said I would need mirror extensions, he was right. I left the dealer at 5:01pm. I had about a mile from where I got on the highway to the left exit I needed to get off the highway, across 4 lanes of traffic. I don't know if I was lucky or if the temporary tag on the rear of the TT helped, but as soon as I got home I ordered mirror extensions.
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #8

Left the dealer and got about 2 miles down the 55 mph hwy.
Furnace?water heater? (don't remember) cover flapping in the wind!!!!!!!!!
I was afraid to pull off into a parking area because I thought I might get trapped.
Pulled off onto the shoulder and closed the cover.
Then, less than 50 feet from our driveway, I broke a clearance light on the TT by cutting too close to our neighbors truck bumper pulling into the cull dee sack.

Nothing since. Go figure!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #9

Our first time out ~ 15 years ago ~ we went camping at Ft Desoto (St Pete, FL). All I can say is watch out for them pesky palm trees!!! On our way in we were crazy careful. On our way out, oops, not so much......

LOL, Now I get out and eyeball from a distance if trees are bending into the traffic lanes.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #10

Our second time out was a rough one. We towed over a mountain pass on the way to death valley. 8% grade for 18 miles up a twisty two lane highway with 35-50 mph headwinds. White knuckled the whole time and had to stop halfway up to let the trans cool off. Needless to say the way down the other side was pretty rough on the brakes too. Never going that way again.
jnscoronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #11

First trip out was perfect had a great time, nothing went wrong, LOVED IT!
Second trip, lol. You name it. Water pump didn't work, had an issue ( operator goofed) with my stabilizers, thought my black tank was leaking cause the smell , well we all know it smells ,only to find out my lovely neighbor had his portable poop tank outside our camper. We had a lil chat.
Almost got hung up on a sixty foot oak cause the wife and I didn't communicate ( we now use 2way radios ) as I was backing up.
Now I follow our check list of predestination to CG and to the storage lot. No issues and no causality to date. We take our time and go over the list and be safe.

On a side note, on the way home from our first trip we were behind a coach that had a blow out and saw first hand what a blown tire can do to a unit. Pretty nasty stuff
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote