Old 01-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

Should I purchase 287bhss?

Yes, I know this is a FR Forum? Yes, I understand the opinions I will get ... and I respect them or would not ask.

My family, wife and 6 and 9 yo girl and boy, have a nice pop up. We are upgrading this year and have it narrowed to Surveyor 287Bhss or Imagine 2800BH. They are the same floor plan with subtle differences. We like what we perceive to be the quality of the Imagine and what we believe to be true about GD. I also like the hookups and controls of the GD. On the flip side We like it that the Surveyor is more ready to go for us. It has a built in bike rack/utility rack and an outdoor kitchen with a sink and grill. We grill, we donít cook outside. Our kids are also on a bike team so we are hauling bikes always.

These are so close, how do we decide and why FR?

Please help me, donít flame me.

Thanks.

Schaefsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Wow, those 2 are similar. The only other real difference that I see is the linen closet is in the bathroom on the Imagine vs. outside of the bathroom on the Surveyor.

The grill you get with the Surveyor is going to get mixed reviews- from "it's fine" to "it's terrible", so I wouldn't bank a whole lot on that being a deciding factor. You may ultimately still upgrade to a better grill.

Quality-wise- Grand Design supposedly is better. From perusing their FB Owner's Forum, I can't say that I wholly believe that. BUT- their customer service is supposed to be very good. I've only read of a handful of complaints.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #3

My neighbor bought a GD 5th wheel this year a few months before we bought our Surveyor.

Overall, I think they are very similar in quality...or lack there of. The industry is saturated with high demand and a supply only trying to keep up.

I can say that the issues I've had with the Surveyor have been easily fixed and the problems my neighbor has encountered have been challenging and ongoing. But, the perception to the GD factory reps is 2nd to none.

The bike/utility rack is useful but basic. You have to get creative about securing your bikes to it.

The BBQ is just that. I am used to cooking on a Traeger that bakes more like an oven. The Aussie grill provided is good for direct heat BBQing. It excels cooking burgers, hotdogs, chicken thighs, kabobs, things like that. The nice part is that it's a very contained unit that doesn't require anything more than hooking up the hose. With the 3 burners and oven in the kitchen, the grill rounds out any means of heating food. It fits our needs very well.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the helpful comments. Itíll help in making my final decision
Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #5

Just wondering if you ended up buying the 287bhss? We just ordered ours and I am anxious for it to get to my dealer.

Z
zmandunk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #6

Still looking. Havenít pulled the trigger. Iíd love to get your thoughts when it comes in.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

We looked at the Imagine we loved the configuration and the amenities. We opted for a smaller Surveyor couples TT because of NYS State Parks. I have been very pleased with the Surveyors 251rks.
As stated the bike rack is basic. You really need to secure the bikes well. I am using noodles to keep the bikes from damaging each other. When we took my daughters highend bike we only took 3 biked - fear of damaging disc brakes.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #8

Bike Rack

How is it securing the bikes to the rack? We ordered ours with the rack in order to get them out of the bed of my truck. I have visions of pink bikes flying off the rack at expressway speeds..........

Z
zmandunk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmandunk4 View Post
How is it securing the bikes to the rack? We ordered ours with the rack in order to get them out of the bed of my truck. I have visions of pink bikes flying off the rack at expressway speeds..........

Z
Check out THIS POST to see how someone did it on their Surveyor 5th Wheel.

The rack is really not all that great. I am trying to figure out how to get our bikes on there for travelling this year. So far, I'm not thrilled with any of my ideas.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #10

I am attaching some pictures of how we did it with our 251rks. I used bungees, ratchet straps and pool noodles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_154306.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	163201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_154237.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	163202  

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote