Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

Should I purchase 287bhss?

Yes, I know this is a FR Forum? Yes, I understand the opinions I will get ... and I respect them or would not ask.

My family, wife and 6 and 9 yo girl and boy, have a nice pop up. We are upgrading this year and have it narrowed to Surveyor 287Bhss or Imagine 2800BH. They are the same floor plan with subtle differences. We like what we perceive to be the quality of the Imagine and what we believe to be true about GD. I also like the hookups and controls of the GD. On the flip side We like it that the Surveyor is more ready to go for us. It has a built in bike rack/utility rack and an outdoor kitchen with a sink and grill. We grill, we don’t cook outside. Our kids are also on a bike team so we are hauling bikes always.

These are so close, how do we decide and why FR?

Please help me, don’t flame me.

Thanks.
Schaefsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Always Learning

Wow, those 2 are similar. The only other real difference that I see is the linen closet is in the bathroom on the Imagine vs. outside of the bathroom on the Surveyor.

The grill you get with the Surveyor is going to get mixed reviews- from "it's fine" to "it's terrible", so I wouldn't bank a whole lot on that being a deciding factor. You may ultimately still upgrade to a better grill.

Quality-wise- Grand Design supposedly is better. From perusing their FB Owner's Forum, I can't say that I wholly believe that. BUT- their customer service is supposed to be very good. I've only read of a handful of complaints.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #3

My neighbor bought a GD 5th wheel this year a few months before we bought our Surveyor.

Overall, I think they are very similar in quality...or lack there of. The industry is saturated with high demand and a supply only trying to keep up.

I can say that the issues I've had with the Surveyor have been easily fixed and the problems my neighbor has encountered have been challenging and ongoing. But, the perception to the GD factory reps is 2nd to none.

The bike/utility rack is useful but basic. You have to get creative about securing your bikes to it.

The BBQ is just that. I am used to cooking on a Traeger that bakes more like an oven. The Aussie grill provided is good for direct heat BBQing. It excels cooking burgers, hotdogs, chicken thighs, kabobs, things like that. The nice part is that it's a very contained unit that doesn't require anything more than hooking up the hose. With the 3 burners and oven in the kitchen, the grill rounds out any means of heating food. It fits our needs very well.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the helpful comments. It’ll help in making my final decision
Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #5

Just wondering if you ended up buying the 287bhss? We just ordered ours and I am anxious for it to get to my dealer.

Z
zmandunk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #6

Still looking. Haven’t pulled the trigger. I’d love to get your thoughts when it comes in.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

We looked at the Imagine we loved the configuration and the amenities. We opted for a smaller Surveyor couples TT because of NYS State Parks. I have been very pleased with the Surveyors 251rks.
As stated the bike rack is basic. You really need to secure the bikes well. I am using noodles to keep the bikes from damaging each other. When we took my daughters highend bike we only took 3 biked - fear of damaging disc brakes.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #8

Bike Rack

How is it securing the bikes to the rack? We ordered ours with the rack in order to get them out of the bed of my truck. I have visions of pink bikes flying off the rack at expressway speeds..........

Z
zmandunk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmandunk4 View Post
How is it securing the bikes to the rack? We ordered ours with the rack in order to get them out of the bed of my truck. I have visions of pink bikes flying off the rack at expressway speeds..........

Z
Check out THIS POST to see how someone did it on their Surveyor 5th Wheel.

The rack is really not all that great. I am trying to figure out how to get our bikes on there for travelling this year. So far, I'm not thrilled with any of my ideas.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #10

I am attaching some pictures of how we did it with our 251rks. I used bungees, ratchet straps and pool noodles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_154306.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	163201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_154237.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	163202  

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #11

I go for my walk through friday for my 287. Anything i should look out for?
billydan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydan91 View Post
Did you download the PDI checklist from the Forum library?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Did you download the PDI checklist from the Forum library?
Here is the link: New Trailer Owner PDI Version 2.6

It is filled with good information on what to look for as you walk through the trailer. Review it a couple times prior so you have a good idea of what you're looking for (i.e., don't read the instructions as you go)

As part of the PDI, the best recommendations I can make are these things:

1. Make sure your tech is competent and takes the time to show you each system thoroughly. Our tech lacked confidence, stated that he didn't know how some things worked and was not a great teacher. This made for a very short and lacking PDI.

2. If you see something, say something AND document it! Going back to our tech (aka lowest man on the totem pole), I pointed out a few things during our walk through and his constant response was "Just take it up with Service under warranty." Keeping a list during the walk through, I emailed (with pictures) the service department prior to leaving their facility. This put a date stamp on the needed repairs showing that it left the lot that way.

My point is, if I did it over again, I would insist that the tech makes notes, takes pics and gets the warranty ball rolling.

3. Have them show you that the trailer lug nuts and all bolts on the hitch are torqued to the correct ft/lbs. The dealer will either install or make adjustments to the hitch. Have them show (prove) that they torqued the bolts per the manufacture's specs.

In my case, the tech clearly adjusted the hitch. When I asked him if he torqued the 2 main bolts to the required 380 ft/lbs, he assured me he did. Two days and 45 miles later, I found that 50 ft/lbs was good enough for our tech...Because this was a crucial safety issue that could have endangered my family, others on the road, my truck and new trailer, I called the owner of the dealership directly and complained. The next time I was at the dealer I also ran into that tech and mentioned that I retightened his work....

I don't mean to be a downer or scare you through this but these are my recommendations. As a customer paying top dollar for your Surveyor, expect the support and respect as the purchaser. During our PDI, it was apparent that the dealer put $ales number$ long before customer safety or product quality.

Please let us know how it goes. And, we always want to see pictures of your truck and trailer!

Old 03-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #14

My 287 started build yesterday. I called the dealership last week and asked what the PDI entailed - The tech who will be doing the inspection called me back and we went over a couple of things - the most important was getting the hitch readjusted (I’m trading in) and he covered all that was required - e.g., ball height, etc. We also discussed the warranty procedures in case there’s a discrepancy. I found the FR PDI checklist here: https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/D...antyManual.pdf
I’ll post my experience when we take possession. Good luck!
RRGuy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #15

thank you. did your trailer come with come with the equal flex suspension? the dealer had to install mine when it was delivered. i had picked the 287 off the lot but i wanted a new one delivered that no one had walked in. the dealer promised me a brand new delivered unit the same as the one on the lot but when delivered it did not have the equal flex. he installed it at no charge. also he will be installing my husky centerline. i went with the 800-1200 tongue weight rating. anything i should look for after the install?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:37 PM   #16

Quote:
thank you. did your trailer come with come with the equal flex suspension? the dealer had to install mine when it was delivered. i had picked the 287 off the lot but i wanted a new one delivered that no one had walked in. the dealer promised me a brand new delivered unit the same as the one on the lot but when delivered it did not have the equal flex. he installed it at no charge. also he will be installing my husky centerline. i went with the 800-1200 tongue weight rating. anything i should look for after the install?
Mine came with the equaflex and it rides very nice and smooth. I would recommend it on any trailer.

The husky centerline ts is the hitch that I use as well. It's a very good, basic hitch that provides weight distribution and sway control very well. It's good you went with the 800-1200 bars. I went with the 600-800 and after loading propane, batteries and gear in the cargo area, I now have the 800-1200 coming in the mail.

The only thing to really watch for on that, or any, hitch is habe the dealer show you that the bolts are properly torqued.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Mine came with the equaflex and it rides very nice and smooth. I would recommend it on any trailer.

The husky centerline ts is the hitch that I use as well. It's a very good, basic hitch that provides weight distribution and sway control very well. It's good you went with the 800-1200 bars. I went with the 600-800 and after loading propane, batteries and gear in the cargo area, I now have the 800-1200 coming in the mail.

The only thing to really watch for on that, or any, hitch is habe the dealer show you that the bolts are properly torqued.
I'll make sure to have them show me. If all goes well I'll upload a picture of my truck and trailer friday
Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #18

I have the Equal-I-zer 10,000lb WDH w/TW of 1000lb & love it. I’ve never had a problem. I didn’t get the equaflex though. I figured I could retrofit if there was a problem.
RRGuy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #19

This floorplan has been copied numerous times since the Imagine line came out. We love our Imagine 2800. You will love the floorplan. Congrats

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #20

Picked it up last Wednesday and took it out over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12018D68-09B6-4876-97A7-3EE34D5DA144.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	167011