Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #11

One thing I found was that the dealer does not always reset the Oil Life Monitor, at least the two times I had the dealer change the oil they did not reset it.

2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #12

With my diesel, by the time I've got 5K on an oil change the oil is pretty black. I just can't stand to run it any longer than that. Besides, I only put around 7K or 8K a year on it. It sits in the garage unless it is towing, so most of it's duty is severe. However, my wife had a Honda Pilot that she only changed the oil when the service light came on. That was usually somewhere around 10K on the oil. She put 150K on it before she traded it for a Honda Accord and we never had a minute's trouble with it.

2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
One thing I found was that the dealer does not always reset the Oil Life Monitor, at least the two times I had the dealer change the oil they did not reset it.
One time I can forgive; twice I would be looking for a new service department.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
This is why you should not rely on the monitor. If it was actually monitoring the condition of the oil, it would not need to be manually reset. It is monitoring your driving habits and mileage. It is not measuring the conditions of the oil itself. You should follow the appropriate maintenance schedule in your ownerís manual.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames View Post
This is why you should not rely on the monitor. If it was actually monitoring the condition of the oil, it would not need to be manually reset. It is monitoring your driving habits and mileage. It is not measuring the conditions of the oil itself. You should follow the appropriate maintenance schedule in your ownerís manual.
Hmm, that seems to make sense to me. Confused now...

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Brianjames, the monitor does not actually monitor the oil it uses an algorithm that uses a number of factors to determine the break down of the spec oil that is used - which is why the monitor needs to be reset at oil change.

It is somewhat explained here: ZDP depletion and GM oil life monitor - Bob Is The Oil Guy
Old 04-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #17

I just passed 1500 miles on my 2011 Silverado 2500HD.
Itís only used for towing the 5er or when I have to go to Home Depot, instead of driving the VUE.

My question is I read that diesels that spend most of the time sitting get some kind of algea build up in the fuel tank/system.
Anyone with any experience with this issue?

Also my ownerís manual states not to use any fuel that is not labeled as Ultra Low Sulfur or the warrenty is void.
Iíve only filled up a few times but I canít find any pumps labeled as such.

Sorry not intending to hijack this oil thread.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
I just passed 1500 miles on my 2011 Silverado 2500HD.
Itís only used for towing the 5er or when I have to go to Home Depot, instead of driving the VUE.

My question is I read that diesels that spend most of the time sitting get some kind of algea build up in the fuel tank/system.
Anyone with any experience with this issue?

Also my ownerís manual states not to use any fuel that is not labeled as Ultra Low Sulfur or the warrenty is void.
Iíve only filled up a few times but I canít find any pumps labeled as such.

Sorry not intending to hijack this oil thread.
Every diesel pump in PA meant for "on road" use is ULS - Green sticker on pump. Yellow sticker - Low Sulfur is the old stuff and is now hard to find and is most likely labeled "Off Road Use Only"

If you live in "Farm Country" be careful. A tank will not destroy your engine (was trapped out west and filled up at the wrong pumps before I carried 2 - 5 gallon cans at all times), BUT continued use will cause multiple failures to engine and exhaust components; early emission maintenance; and horrible mileage.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #19

To the hijack - algae happens -http://www.ehow.com/how_5668792_remove-algae-diesel-fuel-tanks.html. - I use Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economyPower Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boos

NOTE - in Canada ULSD has been the norm since 2006 BUT may listed on the pumps as LSD or with no label -- Talk:Ultra-low-sulfur diesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
X2. What HE said!!!