Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #31
Nasty looking oil

Mike, I have run run all kinds of equip. in const. for over 41 years and you can change the oil in the morning and by the end of the day it is nasty black like you never did anything, the nature of a diesel Papa

papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #32
My vote is for Amsoil. I started using Amsoil in my '03 Chevy and ran it over 120,000 miles, changing it every 15k or once a year. The '03 had a ticking while it idled until I changed to the Amsoil. The ticking went away. When I traded the truck the dealer asked if I just changed the oil. Nope, actually it was due. He was amazed that it was so clean.

When I bought my '09 6.0 HD I switched to the Amsoil again. Will stay with it as long as this one is with me. Hopefully to change all other fluids over as well.

MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #33
01 Z71 w/ 317,183 miles on it. Engine spun a camshaft bearing at 310,000 mile range. Replaced with a 100,000 mile used engine. I change oil at 3500 miles. Still holding up well.
Scouts Out, L Troop 3/2 ACR 76-79
Desert Storm Part One 1991
2009 SV 291
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #34
My 03 Trailblazer (5.3 V8) has 102K on it, I have always run Mobil 1 syn, and change it when the indicator says around 10% of life left. We also have 2000 Impala (towed a small pop-up for a year) with a OLM system that just tells you it's time to change the oil. The impala now had 1454K miles on it. The dealer said follow what the system says. We have never had an issue with either one.

Just my .02
Chuck Roder & Family
'07 Surveyor SV-235RS & '03 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LT V8
High Springs, FL.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #35
I have a 99 silverado that doesn't have anything except a light comes on and says change oil. I have changed it every 5000 miles and it now has 244000. still does not use oil or click.I hesitate to trade it. I use a synthetic blend.
Bill And Theresa Perry, At Lake Gaston
2003 F 150 Super crew with 5.4 Tow package
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #36
LOL, my 98 Windstar had 232K when I sold it, oil changed every 10-12K miles, Walmart filter and oil.
No burning of oil visible..

Only thing I replaced in 12 years was an alternator, besides tires, brakes filters...

Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
With my diesel, by the time I've got 5K on an oil change the oil is pretty black. I just can't stand to run it any longer than that. Besides, I only put around 7K or 8K a year on it. It sits in the garage unless it is towing, so most of it's duty is severe. However, my wife had a Honda Pilot that she only changed the oil when the service light came on. That was usually somewhere around 10K on the oil. She put 150K on it before she traded it for a Honda Accord and we never had a minute's trouble with it.
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #37
out of curiosity, does ur owners manual say there is any difference between synthetic or conventional oil? my ford and honda both say the synthetic makes no difference in their recommended change intervals.
honda ask for 0w-20 or can sub 5w 20. ford calls for 5w 20. that 5 is an important number on the new engines. tolerances are closer. oil has to remain thin enough to go through and give proper lubrication. lower sulfur in the fuel has reduced the acid build up in the oil. oil (and the filter) have additives to counter acid.
there have been a number of changes that made it possible to go longer distances on an oil change.
if u feel comfortable putting full synthetic and changing every 3k, do certainly won't hurt anything. (synthetic oil=conventional oil that has been processed in a hydrogen atmos).

on the diesel, be sure and read the section on radiator maintenance as well. some diesel engines fall victom to cavitation due to ignoring the cooling system requirements.

jimh is offline   Reply With Quote