Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Skid plate to Wheels!

I have a 2011 surveyor SV-294. It is 33' long. As most of you know, they are low to the ground. When pulling my trailer, I had to make a turn that was down hill and the skid plates in the back hit. One bent to the side while turning and I ripped off my jack stand. I could install a lift kit, but it still may hit in the rear and would lose the benefit of less drag and gas milage. I was thinking of cutting off the triangular skid plates and bolting on a pair of sturdy caster wheels.

Has anyone attached caster wheels? Any thoughts on doing this? Has this resolved your problems? Do they hold up with the weight of a 5100 lb trailer? Do your prefer the skid plates, wheels, casters or something else.

Your help would be appreicated!

2011 Surveyor SV-294
2010 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
Reese Dual Cam distribution hitch
Protigy brake controler

sv-294 camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB
there is another recent thread about this. caster wheels are the way to go. get the ones that can swivel any direction if you have a large overhang at the back from the wheels to bumper

One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
there is another recent thread about this.....
New to Forest River- not to RVing

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (12 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
I have a SV291 and I ordered a set of wheels that fit on the skid bars and have done the trick for me.
little joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Adding something that is greater in total length,height, than what you started with is adding to your problem. Trailers that are too low or too long will drag at certain times. If you feal that placing (wheels,rollers)at the rear is the answer,the next time you have a flat tire, jack it up from that point. The frames are very thin. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
My trailer's skid plates made contact with the groudna few times. I adjusted my hitch head so that the trailer travels with a slight nose down attitude. At the back after 32' that equates to some additional clearance.

I am paranoid about getting into places where the back of the trailer might get close to the ground. I ahd rather have my skid plates bent and protect the frame, then have caster wheels which will pass the stress directly to the frame and maybe bend the frame. Just my humble opinion ....
2009 Ford F-150 XLT/XTR 5.4l, CrewCab. long bed
2011 Surveyor SV-291
Goomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #7
Could you tell me where you got them and a part #

Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote