Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

Slide-in on our 2017 Surveyor 200mble blows fuse

We just bought a 2017 Surveyor 200mble. When we stopped to show my Mother in law the trailer we used the batteries to move the slide-in out and then back inside the trailer it blew the fuse. We took the trailer back for the dealer to find out why. (It works fine when we use the power cord) Dealer said they don't know why it does that and told us to just keep replacing the fuse. Has anyone else had this problem. And if so what was the solution? Dealer isn't very helpful and we are very frustrated as we just bought it and haven't used it yet. Also the put a hole in the side of trailer when they moved it into their service area!It's VERY frustrating!!! Some one please help.
2peasinapodtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #2

I blew mine once but hasn't since. I would go to the auto parts store and buy an automotive circuit breaker for the correct amperage until it can be figured out. My guess is the motor is drawing too much juice, popping the breaker. It does need to get fixed.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peasinapodtravel View Post
We just bought a 2017 Surveyor 200mble. When we stopped to show my Mother in law the trailer we used the batteries to move the slide-in out and then back inside the trailer it blew the fuse. We took the trailer back for the dealer to find out why. (It works fine when we use the power cord) Dealer said they don't know why it does that and told us to just keep replacing the fuse. Has anyone else had this problem. And if so what was the solution? Dealer isn't very helpful and we are very frustrated as we just bought it and haven't used it yet. Also the put a hole in the side of trailer when they moved it into their service area!It's VERY frustrating!!! Some one please help.
Solving this problem may be as easy as ensuring your house batteries are at full charge. If it works fine plugged in the slide is fine, when plugged in your are getting full voltage. If the batteries are down that will cause the motor in the slide to draw more amps and blow the fuse. low voltage equals higher amps Make sure the batteries are charge completely.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Also check the fuse rating. If for instance you have a 25 amp fuse in it and it should be a 30 amp, it will blow when running it on battery because of the slightly lower voltage from shore power causing higher amp draw.

Other than that, check all the wire connections to the slide from the battery, both hot and negative side. A slightly loose ground connection can cause it to blow a fuse.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Solving this problem may be as easy as ensuring your house batteries are at full charge. If it works fine plugged in the slide is fine, when plugged in your are getting full voltage. If the batteries are down that will cause the motor in the slide to draw more amps and blow the fuse. low voltage equals higher amps Make sure the batteries are charge completely.
I'm with SeaDog on this one. Text Book Ohm's Law.
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peasinapodtravel View Post
Sorry I forgot to mention welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #7

Blown Fuses

As I see it, this all boils down to a warranty problem, which needs to be addressed, as well as the dealer making a body repair to your satisfaction. After all, the thing is NEW.

Yes, low voltage will almost always increase the amperage drawn, regardless. The work (moving the slides) is measured in watts, which is a factor of volts times amps. This is a constant. Formula, regardless of the actual voltage. This also applies roughly to AC circuits, although we're talking about DC here. Here's a couple of volts/amps scenarios: At 13.5 volts, and nominal 20 amps load, you have 243 watts. But if you drop to say, 13 volts, the amperage required to do the same amount of work, amperage rises to 20.8. If you drop to 12 volts, the amperage would be 22.5 volts. Still not real bad, but you can see where this is going. Now, drop to say, 10.5 volts (a very likely scenario if measured at the motor terminals when under load) you're talking about 25,7 amps. While the values mentioned aren't given as a real life scenario in your particular situation, it is meant to present a way to determine a real life scenario. If it is accessible, look at the actual motor nameplate to determine the rated amps and volts, then use those as a bench mark.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #8
Traveling Two

I had the same problem but was corrected by my dealer by changing the original fuse with a heavy duty fuse with same amp.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving View Post
I had the same problem but was corrected by my dealer by changing the original fuse with a heavy duty fuse with same amp.
I hope that dealer didn't charge you a bunch of money for that "heavy duty fuse". I assume they replaced the fuse with a 30 amp fuse? Given it's the same circuit, same switch and same motor,... a fuse rated at 30 amps will blow at 30 amps.
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
Traveling Two

No charge, under warranty. Fuse is 30 amp but larger body then the normal fuse. Haven't had a problem since it was placed so I am satisfied.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I hope that dealer didn't charge you a bunch of money for that "heavy duty fuse". I assume they replaced the fuse with a 30 amp fuse? Given it's the same circuit, same switch and same motor,... a fuse rated at 30 amps will blow at 30 amps.
In actual practice, most fuses, regardless of type, will not blow at their rated amperage. That said, the blade type "minifuse" which is now very commonly used in vehicles but has less ability to take momentary overloads. Those are type ATM as I recall. The older blade type fuses, type physically larger ATO are much less susceptible to blowing under marginal overloads. I've also noticed that the mini fuses are not available in the higher amp ranges, probably because the smaller blades (terminals) are more likely to overheat, leading to early failure, possibly even a fire hazard, although I see that possibility as being very slim, due to the fact that the fuse holders are most frequently fitted with covers of some sort.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, slide, surveyor