Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Slide out and sealing question

Hi all,

I did some searching but I am not sure what this is called.

I was inspecting the slide on my 255RS and noticed that there is a bead of sealant that is on the camper and the slide butts up to. There are some places where the sealant is cracked and broken. I would assume that this is important in keeping water out when the slide is in. What can I use for this?

Also, I am new to this and have been doing a lot of reading but feel a bit overwhelmed sometimes. Seems like every time we go out, a new issues arises This is a '04-05 camper so it has some age on it. I am not really sure what I should be doing in regards to roof and seam maintenance. Are there any good references for newbs?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

pics are much better than descriptions, often.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #3

I will get some tomorrow. I would think it is similar to weather stripping but it looks like it isdried up.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A picture would help us to understand the first part about the sealant between the slide and trailer.

As for roof maintenance, here are some of my thoughts.

Its a requirement that you maintain the roof for warranty purposes. More importantly, this little piece of maintenance will save you lots of money and possible heartache down the road.

INSPECT: Do this every few months. Get a tall ladder and climb up on roof (It will support your weight). Use a board if you want to (I don't) and step clear of A/C, vents, skylight, etc. Inspect all seams, gaskets, and any place that the roof material has been cut or drilled. Check closely around A/C, vents, antennas, sewer vent, every screw, and all side seams. You are looking for dry or cracked caulking. Also, look for any signs of bubbling in the membrane and any tears (damage from tree branches, etc).

CAULKING: Do NOT use silicone. I use Dicor 501 Self Leveling for sealing cracks in the existing caulk. Take your tube of Dicor and a caulking gun and simply squirt a dab of the Dicor on anything that looks like a hole or crack. You shouldn't have to remove the old caulk unless something is really wrong with it.

As for cleaning the roof... I am not positive if you have an EPDM or TPO roof. Check the paperwork you got with the trailer. I use Murphy's oil soap to clean my TPO roof. Whatever you have, you want to stay away from anything with petroleum in it. Here's a helpful primer on cleaning an EPDM roof Cleaning the Rubber Roof

Hope this helps!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #5

Here is the pic. I am not sure what the stuff that is coming off is? It is hard now and I assume it really should not be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	17497  
Old 08-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #6

That looks like some type of regular household door weather striping (foam rubber maybe) It looks like something the previous owner may have added. Mine has a black rubber "bulb seal" on each side, much like the off white one to the side in your picture.

Mine also has a factory installed drip rail/gutter above the slide out opening.

View of the seals on the underside of the slide out.

And yes, I have some sanding and painting to do. We took it to the beach last weekend, and the salt air is making itself known.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
Here is the pic. I am not sure what the stuff that is coming off is? It is hard now and I assume it really should not be.
I agree that looks like foam or thin rubber weather stripping. I suggest stripping that and replacing with an outdoor seal of some type.

Here's a pic of my slideout at roughly the same spot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4218893348.jpg
Views:	2581
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	17537

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #8

Hmmm. That worries me. I hate when I see things were changed and I don't know why. I need to see if I can find something better.

That drip/rain gutter and slide awning look nice. Wish I had one of those too
Old 08-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #9

It looks like I need some 'D' seal and it appears that this is not a Home Depot item. I should probably replace all sides of the slide since they are showing age. Is there a preferred place to order this? Seem to be on Ebay alot lately ... ;(
Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Anacortesians

My MH is an '02 and I've had a lot of problems with ths slide-out seals since we bought it in 2010. After a lot of research, I've come to the conclusion that the RV manufacturers (at least Georgetown) are totally clueless about using adhesives.

On my rig, all the slide-out seals have come loose at various places. When I look, the seals are all held in place (or not in many cases) by double-backed foam sticky tape. The surfaces they're stuck to, in most cases, are gloss-enamelled metal frames which clearly have not been roughened (and probably no de-greased) prior to the attachment of the seals.

When I was at Boeing, I spent some time in Materials Technology and we tested adhesive systems for bonding airplane parts together - no rivet holes to make stress concentrations, easier sub-assemly procedures, etc. There are a lot of secondary bits on Boeing (and Airbus) airplanes that are glued together.

Where the RV industry falls down is that they don't seem to understand the need for surface preparation. The mating surfaces must be clinically clean and roughened to give the adhesive enough irregularities to get a good grip. Double-back sticky tape on gloss-enamel metal just doesn't work, guys.

After all my efforts, whoever buys my MH when we're done with it will have a nicely fettled one.