Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

Slide out wires on a '04 255RS

Hi all,

I did some searching on this and did not find anything so hopefully you can help me.

I recently purchased a used 2004 Surveyor 255RS. The camper appears to have been maintained fairly well but the more I learn and explore on the camper, I am finding some little things. When I was cleaning the inside of the camper, I noticed some scratching on the wood underneath the slide out bed. I was not really sure what could have caused this but upon inspection, I saw some wire that had the insulation scraped off.

There is a metal U channel that has the wires for the slide inside and electrical tape wrapped around. I can see some butt connectors in the middle and some wire nuts on the end near the manual crank. Not sure if this is stock or the previous owner had done some repairs?

I am trying to determine how the metal U bar is attached? On the side closer to the inside of the camper, it is screwed to the bed(underneath). On the side near the outside of the camper, it appeared to be screwed to the frame below the slide out bed. I say appeared as I noticed it was not attached and opened up the access panel under the mattress and screwed it into a hole that was there.

The problem is that the U bar is now touching the base of the bed frame. If I slide it out, it would appear that it will scrape. It does not seem right that the two ends would mount on opposite sides. I would think the U bar would attach to the bed(underneath) on both ends.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks!
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #2

Anyone know where I might be able to find this information, if not known? Would contacting the Forest River directly be helpful?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A picture would really help if possible. Also, on an 8 year old trailer, will be hard to find a lot. Hopefully someone that has one will chime in.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to get a pic but I worried that it will be hard to make out. I was inside the RV with the slide in so I had to contort a bit to get underneath the slide.

The more I think about it, I suppose it really does not matter. The channel(from what I can tell) just keeps the wires from getting in the way or pinched. I assume it came stock that way but I really have no idea. I guess the wires would be exposed with the slide out so I might be able to judge more that way.

Just really wondering how the wires are kept clear of the slide.

Thanks,
Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #5

I did a little work on this yesterday and took some pics.

This one shows the U channel with the wire taped inside(for the most part). The side closest to the camera is mounted just below the motor on the Bed side of the slide out.

http://home.insightbb.com/~ellisz/EVO/camper_pic1.jpg

This pic shows where the other side appears to have been attached previously. It was screwed down to the camper side of the slide and as you can see, there are grooves in the wood where the screw has apparently moved in the past. This might have been caused from the ziptie that can be seen in pic1. This was causing the bar to bind up when the slide was slid out. I cut this off but it does allow the U channel to sag a little. I assume that this won't be a problem as the slide comes in and out but not really sure what this is supposed to look like.

http://home.insightbb.com/~ellisz/EVO/camper_pic3.jpg

This pic shows what I did. I used a rubber grommet to act as a spacer. I also removed the screw as it was not long enough and replaced it with a long narrow bolt. The nut is attached in the compartment below the bed.

http://home.insightbb.com/~ellisz/EVO/camper_pic2.jpg

See any concerns with this set up? Is this close to how it is supposed to be?

Also, I removed a thin panel to gain assess to the motor and slide screw. I was thinking of adding something thin over this to go under the mattress. That thin panel is the only thing between the mattress and the outside.

Thanks,
Old 07-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #6

I was hoping to give some advice once I looked at the pictures, but your slide out mechanism is completely different than the one on my unit (07 built in 06). Mine is a much simpler setup.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #7

It appears to be working ok. I think the previous owner used some zipties to hold the wire tube up. It hangs down a little with the slide in but as it straightens out, it raises up. The zipties were causing it to bind I think.

As the slide reaches the end of its travel, should it raise up slightly? I assume it is going out all of the way but it will raise up once I reach a certain point. The motor is acting like it is at the end as well. Only reason I ask is that the back seat cushion that sits up against the slide angles in a bit. Makes me think the slide is not all of the way out.

I think it is fine but I just wondered.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #8

Mine slides out in with the outside wall tipping down. When it is all the way out, the top reaches full extension first, then the bottom pushes out/up to fully extend. Looks strange in operation, but works as designed. I always level the trailer 1/4 to 1/2 bubble high in the front to make sure rain water drains correctly. The seals around the bed are OK, but not water tight. If you are nose down, water WILL get in around the gasket and make it’s was down and drip inside. Run a hose when the slide is out and you will see what I mean. Make sure you check the condition of the roof material on the slide out. Yours is a different design than mine, but you want to make sure there is not any damage to the roof material caused by it rubbing or snagging on something as it slides in and out.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #9

Thanks for the tips. I did let the slide run itself out till the motor quit and I can see how it raises up at the end. If I reach my hand above the slide, there is a rubber lip and about 4" of space between that and the outside of the camper. I assume this is normal?

We got some rain tonight and I did not see any water on the inside. I currently have the camper sit up in the driveway.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz View Post
If I reach my hand above the slide, there is a rubber lip and about 4" of space between that and the outside of the camper. I assume this is normal?
Yes it is.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #11

THe set up on my 06 is the exact same. I have had similar issues, but everything seems to work fine. I would echo keeping the rear slightly low to avoid water issues, I have done this since I bought it and haven't had any water issues yet.
rscastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #12

You mean that you have the metal wire channel that sort of hangs there too? It has been working great since I removed some of the previous owners "work"

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscastle View Post
THe set up on my 06 is the exact same. I have had similar issues, but everything seems to work fine. I would echo keeping the rear slightly low to avoid water issues, I have done this since I bought it and haven't had any water issues yet.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #13

Correct, The channel is there and seems to work as intended.
rscastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #14

As an update to this, the slide has been working just fine. Unfortunately, I have noticed some damage to the lip of the wood that is just under the slide. I think the metal is rubbing the wood as the slide goes out. I can see why the original owner added the ziptie. It would help hold the guide up a bit so it would clear the wood. This can bind though.

Seems like a bad design unless I am missing something?

Tags