Last full week of October and we were in Pennsylvania Amish country, one day away from heading home to North Carolina. We had been watching the weather all week, and there was a prediction for rain mixed with snow on that Saturday. Suddenly, on Friday morning, the prediction changed to 4 to 10 inches of snow in the Lancaster County area. So on two hours' notice, we left on Friday instead of Saturday. Four hours south, we pulled into the KOA Harrisonburg, VA, about 6 p.m. and were assured the next day's forecast was for rain mixed with snow.
Instead, it snowed all night. At 7 a.m. Saturday, our power went out due to heavy, wet snow. Our battery power was low because, in our haste to leave PA, we left the thermostat turned on, heating our camper by propane and battery all the way to VA. On top of that, the KOA folks came around and turned off all the water faucets, leaving water on only in their bathhouse. They said leaving the water on at the sites might cause their system to be contaminated by sucking water out of camper holding tanks if they didn't turn it off at the sites. I'm not sure I understand that.
In any case, they were very nice and told us we could stay for free on Saturday night if we were unable to get out. They also gave us a gallon of bottled water for flushing our toilet, as we carry very little in our fresh water tank. Learned a lesson from that, too.
All Saturday morning, it continued to snow, dumping what we estimated to be about 6 inches with the temperature holding at about 32. Then it warmed up around noon and we were able to negotiate the 3 miles back to I-81 with no trouble.
The moral? Don't put too much faith in a weather report that's over 12 hours old. It's the second time we have camped in snow, having endured a couple of inches at Myrtle Beach two years ago.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8
The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine