Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

Some Quality Issues

We spent last week in Arkansas... and I just thought I was on vacation. The first morning, DW accused the dog of peeing on the floor... Instead, it was the sink. The cheap plastic sink had 2 cracks radiating out from the drain in the center. Next, I noticed that water was trickling from the fresh water fill cap. After a couple of good WTHs I got busy and drained the fresh tank, (which I actually never use). I then realized that it is filling from the internal plumbing. Must be something wrong in the pump. Is there a check valve? Fortunately, these are the first 2 major problems I have had, but... seriously... a plastic sink?!?! I am getting a stainless replacement for $101-. They wanted $152- for a plastic one...... Well, anyway, at least the old sink only took 20 minutes to remove.

Now that I have ranted... Where is that check valve? Is that part of the pump head? I have lived in this thing for 8 weeks when I first got it, and then used it several times for it's real purpose... camping. This was a pain in the arse having to constantly drain the fresh tank to keep from muddying up our camp area.

Anyone have any experience with this one?
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #2

Hmmm...I wondered about the plastic sink...scratches being the least of my worries...where did you get the stainless?
Linda Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
NELA

X eleventy!

I'd LOVE to replace that cheap POS plastic kitchen sink! I don't care if it's a single instead of a double. The plastic one in ours (4 mos. old) is already staining. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Please *do* share with us where you got your stainless sink!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

The check valve is probably an integral part of the fresh water inlet. If you don't want to pull the inlet, it might be possible to add an inline check valve if you can get to the line very easily.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #5

After doing some real thinking... dangerous, I know... I realized that the pump, by itself, is the check valve. It should allow water to be pumped through it but not flow backwards. I'll pull it today and check it out thoroughly.

I got my sink coming from Amazon. It will be here Tuesday. Mine is 19" X 25" X 6" deep. It is a double bowl but the bowls are the same size. The original has a bigger left bowl. That will not matter to us. It took only about 20 minutes to remove the old one and I expect it to take about 30 minutes or so to install the new one.

I'll report in when it's done...
Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #6

If the plastic sink bugs ya, don't look too close at what appears to be chrome steel faucets....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
After doing some real thinking... dangerous, I know... I realized that the pump, by itself, is the check valve. It should allow water to be pumped through it but not flow backwards. I'll pull it today and check it out thoroughly.

I got my sink coming from Amazon. It will be here Tuesday. Mine is 19" X 25" X 6" deep. It is a double bowl but the bowls are the same size. The original has a bigger left bowl. That will not matter to us. It took only about 20 minutes to remove the old one and I expect it to take about 30 minutes or so to install the new one.

I'll report in when it's done...
I think the check valve is separate but attached right next to the pump in my unit. It's part of the spaghetti.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1252827161.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	39746  
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Carknocker Family

Found this after our last outing. Its in the outside kitchen. Maybe its the Arkansas roads!
Let us now how the install went and first impressions of sink. I am in the market and dont want to warranty it and get the same one back!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0915130904 (1).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	39748  
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #9

For me, I think it was Oklahoma roads, and my own inexperience. I used to put the bottle of dish washing soap and a bottle of hand soap in the sink after all was cleaned up. When we got to our destination, the cutting board top was displaced, which had never happened before. However, I still think a stainless steel sink would have prevented this damage. It weighs a full pound more than the plastic one... just going by shipping weights. Even with the steel sink, I won't be traveling with anything in either sink again... Seriously, a concrete ramp going from US 69 to I-40 was so bad I am pretty sure this sink damage occurred there... The Arkansas roads weren't that bad. Maybe admitting my mistake can prevent someone else from having the same problem.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #10

First of all, don't think of these trailers of having "quality".....they don't. IMO
I am on my fifth trailer and have learned to make some of my own RV repairs.

On my current trailer (a Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel), the fresh water line enters into the trailer via a two way valve labled GRAVITY/CITY. That valve recently broke and would not fill the fresh water tank. I suppose it could break and let water in both ways.

2017 Chevy Silverado High Country
gmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #11

The check valve to the fresh water tank is the pump. Some units have a valve you can fill the tank from the city water connection but I think this is more of an exception or owner modified than the rule.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acableguy06 View Post
The check valve to the fresh water tank is the pump. Some units have a valve you can fill the tank from the city water connection but I think this is more of an exception or owner modified than the rule.
X2
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #13

Check valve is in the pump. I had the same problem with mine.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

Yes, that's where the valve is. I tore mine down and looked for a rebuild kit. I could not find one on line so I ordered a new pump. It came today and had a replacement parts list... go figure... Anyway, again, from my own inexperience... I'm relatively new to this RV thing... I was assuming that the low point drains would adequately drain the water for a Texas winter. Apparently... NOT! So, I'm wondering if a good blow-out will be sufficient, or if I will have to pump antifreeze into it several times per winter. My sons and I use this thing several times from October through April for trout fishing expeditions, so I haven't done the antifreeze thing, yet. This did appear to be freeze damage. Perhaps I could just remove the pump and plug that line since I will probably never use the fresh-water tank, anyway. I always stay at parks with full hookups as we generally don't just camp for camping's sake.

And... I whole-heartedly agree... the quality ain't there...
Old 09-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #15

Went this morning to install my new sink... Hole is 3/16" too small. I'll go back over tomorrow and cut it out to fit. I'll have to take it from the right side and the back because that's where I have room. The plumbing under the sink will not have to change even though the hole spacing for the drains is different. With the slip joints they used, it will all fit.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #16

Location: Northern Wisconsin during summer, Snow Bird in Gulf Shores, AL
I experienced a problem with my fresh water tank filling and overflowing in our old 93 Pace Arrow DP motorhome. At first I thought I have a problem with the water pump leaking back as the pump would cycle as if there was a leak in the system. I found no leaks but the pump continued to cycle during use. Then, when on city water the fresh water tank would fill its self to overfowing. My temp fix was to crack the tank dain valve when on city water, didn't fix anything, just prevented the overfilling of the fresh water tank. I also replaced the pump, but problem continued. It was after that that I discovered that the valve that allowed filling the fresh water tank while on city water was leaking. The leak caused loss of prime to the pump which caused the cycling, it also allowed the tank to fill when on city water. I replaced the cheap plastic valve with a metal ball valve, problem solved.

Hope this helps, have a good day.

Dave
emtdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #17

So... the new sink and pump are in. The sink was a snap with a Makita 12.2VDC circular saw. Looks great! I'm pretty sure this one won't crack quite so easily. We'll be in the Texas Hill Country October 5 - 7 and that will be the test period. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
So... the new sink and pump are in. The sink was a snap with a Makita 12.2VDC circular saw. Looks great! I'm pretty sure this one won't crack quite so easily. We'll be in the Texas Hill Country October 5 - 7 and that will be the test period. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.
Yes, please do post some photos.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #19

The project is finished but I forgot my camera. A couple of things for anyone thinking of doing this.... I enlarged the cutout from the left side of the sink, and the front. The left side is OK but don't take that 1/4" from the front. I had no problem getting the sink in and all the fittings worked, but the top drawer wouldn't go all the way in... I had to bring it home, and cut it down in the back by 3/4" to make it close all the way. Because the sink was moved forward slightly, it was bumping into the drain pipes. Nothing is ever easy... but no one looking at this for the first time would know it didn't come this way... I'll try to remember my camera, tomorrow. Sorry...
Old 09-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #20

Stainless Sink Pictures

Here it is... Looks a bit different than the plastic... and the cutting board/cover doesn't fit... but it's definitely better. The drawer is shortened by tapping it apart and cutting the bottom and sides down by 3/4", and gluing, and nailing it back together. Having a nice finish nail gun is a plus for this. If the sink hole is drifted back instead of forward, this is probably not necessary.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1353[2].jpg
Views:	219
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	40456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354[1].jpg
Views:	214
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	40457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355[1].jpg
Views:	210