Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

Some Quality Issues

We spent last week in Arkansas... and I just thought I was on vacation. The first morning, DW accused the dog of peeing on the floor... Instead, it was the sink. The cheap plastic sink had 2 cracks radiating out from the drain in the center. Next, I noticed that water was trickling from the fresh water fill cap. After a couple of good WTHs I got busy and drained the fresh tank, (which I actually never use). I then realized that it is filling from the internal plumbing. Must be something wrong in the pump. Is there a check valve? Fortunately, these are the first 2 major problems I have had, but... seriously... a plastic sink?!?! I am getting a stainless replacement for $101-. They wanted $152- for a plastic one...... Well, anyway, at least the old sink only took 20 minutes to remove.

Now that I have ranted... Where is that check valve? Is that part of the pump head? I have lived in this thing for 8 weeks when I first got it, and then used it several times for it's real purpose... camping. This was a pain in the arse having to constantly drain the fresh tank to keep from muddying up our camp area.

Anyone have any experience with this one?

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #2

Hmmm...I wondered about the plastic sink...scratches being the least of my worries...where did you get the stainless?

Old 09-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
NELA

X eleventy!

I'd LOVE to replace that cheap POS plastic kitchen sink! I don't care if it's a single instead of a double. The plastic one in ours (4 mos. old) is already staining. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Please *do* share with us where you got your stainless sink!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

The check valve is probably an integral part of the fresh water inlet. If you don't want to pull the inlet, it might be possible to add an inline check valve if you can get to the line very easily.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

After doing some real thinking... dangerous, I know... I realized that the pump, by itself, is the check valve. It should allow water to be pumped through it but not flow backwards. I'll pull it today and check it out thoroughly.

I got my sink coming from Amazon. It will be here Tuesday. Mine is 19" X 25" X 6" deep. It is a double bowl but the bowls are the same size. The original has a bigger left bowl. That will not matter to us. It took only about 20 minutes to remove the old one and I expect it to take about 30 minutes or so to install the new one.

I'll report in when it's done...
Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

If the plastic sink bugs ya, don't look too close at what appears to be chrome steel faucets....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
After doing some real thinking... dangerous, I know... I realized that the pump, by itself, is the check valve. It should allow water to be pumped through it but not flow backwards. I'll pull it today and check it out thoroughly.

I got my sink coming from Amazon. It will be here Tuesday. Mine is 19" X 25" X 6" deep. It is a double bowl but the bowls are the same size. The original has a bigger left bowl. That will not matter to us. It took only about 20 minutes to remove the old one and I expect it to take about 30 minutes or so to install the new one.

I'll report in when it's done...
I think the check valve is separate but attached right next to the pump in my unit. It's part of the spaghetti.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1252827161.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	39746  
Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Carknocker Family

Found this after our last outing. Its in the outside kitchen. Maybe its the Arkansas roads!
Let us now how the install went and first impressions of sink. I am in the market and dont want to warranty it and get the same one back!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0915130904 (1).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	39748  
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #9

For me, I think it was Oklahoma roads, and my own inexperience. I used to put the bottle of dish washing soap and a bottle of hand soap in the sink after all was cleaned up. When we got to our destination, the cutting board top was displaced, which had never happened before. However, I still think a stainless steel sink would have prevented this damage. It weighs a full pound more than the plastic one... just going by shipping weights. Even with the steel sink, I won't be traveling with anything in either sink again... Seriously, a concrete ramp going from US 69 to I-40 was so bad I am pretty sure this sink damage occurred there... The Arkansas roads weren't that bad. Maybe admitting my mistake can prevent someone else from having the same problem.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #10

First of all, don't think of these trailers of having "quality".....they don't. IMO
I am on my fifth trailer and have learned to make some of my own RV repairs.

On my current trailer (a Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel), the fresh water line enters into the trailer via a two way valve labled GRAVITY/CITY. That valve recently broke and would not fill the fresh water tank. I suppose it could break and let water in both ways.

2017 Chevy Silverado High Country
gmccall is offline   Reply With Quote