Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

SP 220 owners, I have a couple of random questions.

We I have 2012 Sp220. We've had it since October 2012, and have done 5 - 5 day trips. For the most part we are happy. A couple things I don't care for, but nothing big.

Questions.

1. What's under the dinette seats? We've talked about removing that all together and putting in a bench type sofa, as it's only us and the dog and, we will never make it into a bed. More so, since I took out the collapsing table, and put in something else.

2. Is one of your loose pillows bigger than the rest? I have one that's way larger than the others and is always in the way.

I might have more questions, but am still thinking.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #2

Hi,
1) Besides storage, the water pump is located under the dinette seat. I imagine if you bought the right couch it would have a provision to access the pump for winterizing or repairs.

2) I can't remember for sure but I think the middle pillow is larger. Do a search online and look at photos of SP220 interiors if others don't answer.

"It's okay for a man to smell like bacon"
Paulpro4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

The only storage we have under the dinette seats is the little boxes under the cushions, and there's no real way to get to the water pump now. I had asked my dealer about it, but he never got back to me, which is something they are notorious for.

I've looked at lots and lots of pics of the 220, and all the cushions look the same. Not a big deal, just something that makes you go hmmmm. I usually throw several of the pillows into the shower, since they get in the way, and we don't use the shower.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #4

Yes, the middle cushion is larger than the rest in our 2013, but it doesn't get in the way, as all our cushions are held against the back of the dinette by velcro so they don't move around, even when traveling. Came from the factory that way.

I think Paul is correct that a couch would have to include provisions for accessing the water pump. That's also where the hose for the winterization system is. You take out screws on a panel at the bottom left of the dinette to access this area. The manual override for the slideout is also under the dinette, farther to the right, so you'd want to be sure you still had access to that. It is reached by removing a panel at the bottom right of the dinette.

In addition to the storage areas you mentioned on either end of the dinette, under the cushions, there is also some useful storage space behind the dinette along the wall under the window.

Stephanie: Could you elaborate more on what you replaced the table with? The reason I ask is that there is currently a post going about problems with the wobbly table. Sounds like all of us are eventually going to have a problem with it, although mine hasn't started wobbling yet.

Also, have you had any problems with the cheap Chinese (sorry for the redundancy) scissor jacks? Mine are so rickety that they have a sticker indicating you cannot use a power drill to deploy or retract them. So I use the provided tool, and two of the jacks have places where they get stuck and I think they are going to twist off the frame when I try to overcome it. They just have the look and feel of low quality.

Other than that, we love the camper. I hope this is helpful. There are several of us on here who have just recently gotten 220's, and I hope everyone will continue to share information. I know I still have a lot to learn, even though I had a smaller Surveyor prior to this one. Lots of things are the same, but lots are different, too.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

All my cushions do have velcro, this particular one is just larger. It only annoys me, but I don't furniture with fluffy loose cushions

I would love to see how those panels remove. I've looked over the area many times, and don't see a way to remove mine without some destruction.

We replaced the table with two of these.

Sudden Solutions™ 30" Personal Folding Table | Staples®

Most of the time we only have one set up, but some meals or activities we will set up both, and I'll sit kind of sideways on the part of the dinette closest to the bed. They are sturdy, but very light, and easy to move. A lot of time if I'm prepping food in the camper, I'll use one of the table like an island. Also I'll use them if we are watching a movie with my laptop hooked up to the tv. I can put the table up in front of the tv and still have some room to move around. Easy to take outside. Or can fold up and put in the bath to be completely out of the way. Really a better fit for us. They aren't as pretty as the original though. Doesn't bother me.

The table that it came with wobbled, but it wasn't something you could tighten up. Dh and I and his son, looked at tried different things, talked about l brackets and making sleeves for the joints and what not. It just came down to that it just wasn't that important to me to use that table.

Just this last trip we realized the antenna and dvd player are not hooked up to the TV.

We've had no problems with the scissor jack. There were no labels on them saying not to use a power drill. Our trailer, is 2012, so maybe some things were changed in 2013. I know when I look online the measurements listed for 2013 are 1 foot longer than they were listed in 2012.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLynn View Post
All my cushions do have velcro, this particular one is just larger. It only annoys me, but I don't furniture with fluffy loose cushions

I would love to see how those panels remove. I've looked over the area many times, and don't see a way to remove mine without some destruction.

We replaced the table with two of these.

Sudden Solutions™ 30" Personal Folding Table | Staples®

Most of the time we only have one set up, but some meals or activities we will set up both, and I'll sit kind of sideways on the part of the dinette closest to the bed. They are sturdy, but very light, and easy to move. A lot of time if I'm prepping food in the camper, I'll use one of the table like an island. Also I'll use them if we are watching a movie with my laptop hooked up to the tv. I can put the table up in front of the tv and still have some room to move around. Easy to take outside. Or can fold up and put in the bath to be completely out of the way. Really a better fit for us. They aren't as pretty as the original though. Doesn't bother me.

The table that it came with wobbled, but it wasn't something you could tighten up. Dh and I and his son, looked at tried different things, talked about l brackets and making sleeves for the joints and what not. It just came down to that it just wasn't that important to me to use that table.

Just this last trip we realized the antenna and dvd player are not hooked up to the TV.

We've had no problems with the scissor jack. There were no labels on them saying not to use a power drill. Our trailer, is 2012, so maybe some things were changed in 2013. I know when I look online the measurements listed for 2013 are 1 foot longer than they were listed in 2012.

Thanks for all the responses.
Stephanie: We haven't removed the panels ourselves under the dinette, but it was done for us during the walk-through when we took delivery. It looks like each one has about 4 screws. I think the one for the water pump/winterization hose is back in that little space near the floor at the very left of the dinette. I believe you would need to have the slideout out in order to get to it. But maybe not.

The access panel for the slideout manual override seemed to be a much bigger panel on the right side. Again, removed by taking out several screws.
Seems like it could be a lot easier to get to both of those accessories, but that's the way it is.

We camp once a month, so I'll look more closely at it when we go out again next weekend. Thanks for the info about the tables and jacks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #7

To access the pump: Remove the rearmost bottom cushion. As you look down at the top of the base, you should see four or five screws going down through the fabric into the base. remove these screws and the whole front of that base can be pulled off.

We have a 2013 and our jacks have not been a problem. I use a cordless screw gun on them all the time. I also spray them with lithium grease occasionally to keep them moving and to help prevent rust. I would never go back to the hand crank.

"It's okay for a man to smell like bacon"
Paulpro4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #8

Our pillows are all the same size from what I can tell. I will have to look closer on my next trip! My jacks have some places that they get a little stuck but not too bad. I havn't been able to find the right lub for them yet. Where in a Wal-mart would I find the dry lithium?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #9

I have a sp220 and my water pump is under the closet in the bathroom right next to the water heater.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwyrm View Post
I have a sp220 and my water pump is under the closet in the bathroom right next to the water heater.
That's what I thought, since that's where the noise comes from.